PDA

View Full Version : Too line or Not too line? That is the Question.

shais_mom
03-06-2003, 01:11 AM
I was just wondering how many of you use litter box liners. I didn't with Kylie's old box but when I bought the new one, it came with one, and I liked using it so much, that I have kept using them. It certainly makes clean-up a breeze, and proabably more sanitary b/c then the germs/etc can't get into the scratches at the bottom.
Kylie is so tolerant I don't think she cares one way or the other. But I prefer it, so I will keep buying them!!! :)

boscibo
03-06-2003, 01:14 AM
I use them, have for years. Sometimes with huge boxes it is cheaper to buy extra-heavy duty garbage bags, and tuck the extra under the box. I also put a thick layer of newspaper (like one section) between the bottom of the box and the liner - for those cats who are scratchers. Then when I do a total cleanout, I just tie the liners, and the whole bunch goes in the trash.

Nomilynn
03-06-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't bother, because the cats destroy them and so much litter falls out when I'm cleaning them that they really don't make a difference. My cats are BIG time diggers and scratchers. Sometimes they wake me up at night, they dig so furiously! :eek: And the boxes are in the next room!

aly
03-06-2003, 01:59 AM
I do use liners because it makes cleaning up very easy (like you said) :)

BastetsMum
03-06-2003, 04:35 AM
I did use liners until bastet started scratching in her tray jsut to chew the plastic liner. She did it to get attention and it most definately succeeded.

I want to use liners because it is much easier to clean up.

I will try the garbage bag under the box trick and the newspaper and see if she still does it.

Thanks for the tip :)

HayleyRosie
03-06-2003, 06:35 AM
I use liners all the time. It's so much easier to clean up the box!

Russian Blue
03-06-2003, 10:44 AM
I've never tried them because I thought most cats just tear through them with their nails.

Nakita is a big digger when she's in her litterbox so I think the liners would be toast in no time!

:rolleyes:

batgirl1980
03-06-2003, 11:37 AM
LINE!!!!!!!!! :D

I tried liners, and haven't looked back since! Might try that garbage bag trick tho, cuz liners for my huge box aren't cheap! But its sooo much easier and cleaner, and since my cats don't cover up their jobs the liners don't get holes in them lol :D

NoahsMommy
03-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I don't bother, because the cats destroy them and so much litter falls out when I'm cleaning them that they really don't make a difference. My cats are BIG time diggers and scratchers.
Ours too! We tried liners when we got Noah and he destroyed them. Basil actually plays in the litter box during his "crazy kitty" spells. :rolleyes: He would EAT the plastic....

zippy-kat
03-06-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
I don't bother, because the cats destroy them ... My cats are BIG time diggers and scratchers.

DITTO!!!!

krazyaboutkatz
03-08-2003, 01:24 AM
I actually double line. :) I use two liners per litterbox and this helps eliminate the scratching problem. I also use only the heavy duty liners but I may try the heavy duty trashbag tip for my extra large litterbox. I also think that liners help me clean up the mess much easier. :)

Fuzzy317
03-09-2003, 07:19 PM
We don't use liners. Our cats love to scratch both the litter and the sides of the boxes. :rolleyes:

Cataholic
03-09-2003, 08:23 PM
I am confused....I don't see the point in using liners. I scoop every day-sometimes twice, and don't see what using a liner would do??? I wash the boxes a couple times a year...what am I doing wrong???

shais_mom
03-09-2003, 09:35 PM
Oh, Johanna, I wasn't implying you were doing anything wrong. :( I was just asking for opinions :(
I rarely scoop unless there are some ripe ones in there that make my eyes water. And Kylie does pretty good at not scratching the liners. She only has her back claws.
I think liners are a personal preference, just like the kind of litter you might use.
I was just interested in who used liners. Didn't want to imply anything. I think everyone are EXCELLANT kitty parents.

Cataholic
03-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Shais mom...I didn't really think anything bad, honest! Don't feel bad!!:) :)

But, I don't understand why to use them. Do you use clay litter or clumping? I use clumping, and always take the presents out every day. I wonder if liners are for non clumpers????

shais_mom
03-10-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Shais mom...I didn't really think anything bad, honest! Don't feel bad!!:) :)

But, I don't understand why to use them. Do you use clay litter or clumping? I use clumping, and always take the presents out every day. I wonder if liners are for non clumpers????
Whew!!!! I would be upset if I thought YOU were upset with me. :(
I don't use clumping b/c I don't take out the presents everyday. Liners probably are for non-clumping. :D

mruffruff
03-11-2003, 03:34 PM
I have six cats who like to dig! They are used to being outside. I considered liners, but know they would end up in shreds. I also scoop at least twice a day and change all of the litter every week or so.

I've only been housing cats since Sept 2002, so I'm still figuring it all out.

Mary

All Creatures Great And Small
03-11-2003, 08:48 PM
I'm a clumping non-liner. :D http://www.crittercountry.org/forums/images/smilies/bananas.gif