PDA

View Full Version : Bath Time.... How often?

Chris J
03-06-2003, 12:24 AM
How often do you give your dog a bath?

Cheshirekatt
03-06-2003, 12:29 AM
My dogs get baths about every 2 weeks. Joxer gets more because he's a therapy dog and has to be sparkling clean. :)

wolf_Q
03-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Usually about every 6-8 weeks. :)

jenluckenbach
03-06-2003, 06:23 AM
I voted, not as a dog owner, but as a dog groomer.....10 - 12 times a year, that would be every 4 - 6 weeks.

joycenalex
03-06-2003, 06:25 AM
i do the baths on an as needed basis. alex will get itchy paws from lawn chemicals, so after a walk in the warmer months, he gets his paws sprayed off. duke, is a bit of a sloppy eater, so he gets "face washies" much more then he likes. any doggie who rolls in anything but clean grass gets a fast bath;)

Pam
03-06-2003, 07:06 AM
Every six weeks for Bella and Ripley. As poodles, they can't go much longer than that because of their grooming needs, so a bath goes hand in hand with a haircut! ;)

Tanya&Fritz
03-06-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Pam
Every six weeks for Bella and Ripley. As poodles, they can't go much longer than that because of their grooming needs, so a bath goes hand in hand with a haircut! ;)

That's exactly what I was going to write :D My dogs go to the groomers every 4 to 6 weeks too.

Neneuu
03-06-2003, 10:12 AM
We are planning on doing it every 2 weeks b/c we want him in the house with us and smelling fresh!

But we do wipe him down with doggie wipes when he comes in from outside.

primabella
03-06-2003, 10:42 AM
mickey gets a bath once a month unless he smells, as my dad puts it, like a dog :p the breeder told us if more than once a month, it irritates their skin.

jenluckenbach
03-06-2003, 11:05 AM
We, at the grooming shop, have customers come in as often as once every other week. No irritated skin. It will depend on the shampoo and the animal (if it has more senitive skin or not)

Chris J
03-06-2003, 12:41 PM
What's a good brand of shampoo that won't irritate my dog’s skin? I give Holly a bath about 3 times a year.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
We, at the grooming shop, have customers come in as often as once every other week. No irritated skin. It will depend on the shampoo and the animal (if it has more senitive skin or not)

RubyMutt
03-06-2003, 01:27 PM
About every 3 - 6 weeks. It varies depending on the weather, how dirty she is, etc. In the summer we go to the beach a lot and the salt water makes her coat feel funny; so she gets bathed a lot more then.

anna_66
03-06-2003, 02:58 PM
Usually every 3 months, unless they get really muddy:rolleyes:

jenluckenbach
03-06-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Chris J
What's a good brand of shampoo that won't irritate my dog’s skin?
I don't mean to evade the question, but it really depends on your particular dog. 1st, make sure it is DOG shampoo, not people shampoo. 2nd, make sure it is rinsed completely out (this will cause the irritation more than the shampoo itself)and 3rd, like getting a quality people shampoo, you'd probably go to the hair salon, for a dog shampoo, go to a groomer and ask. The brands found on your average grocery store shelves,i.e. Hartz, etc. are probably NOT your best choice.

*LabLoverKEB*
03-06-2003, 08:00 PM
Sadie gets a bath about every 4-6 weeks.

Pam, I just love your two pooches! I'm in love with Poodles now!:) ;) :D

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 08:03 PM
I dont bath my siberian because The water would get trapped in her undercoat and she'd get itchy and dry skin. :eek:

I bath my Oscar about 1 every 2 weeks hes a shih tzu. He is a messy puppy. he loves getting dirty.. :D

lovemyshiba
03-06-2003, 10:10 PM
Ours get bathed on an as-needed basis too. When we first got Abbey from the rescue, she smelled horribly--so they both got baths. We had bath time again a couple of weeks ago--Abbey's a beagle and they can get a little smellier than other dogs, so she will end up with more--but if I'm bathing one, the other one gets it too!!

micki76
03-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Usually every two weeks. Sometimes every week. Both of ours have skin *issues* so we have to bathe more often using prescription shampoo. :rolleyes: