PDA

View Full Version : cockitiel treats???

tikeyas_mom
03-05-2003, 08:41 PM
what kind of things does your guyses cockitels like to eat?? any fruits or veggies of honey treats or anything, Thanks..

popcornbird
03-05-2003, 09:16 PM
Veggies are part of my birds' daily diet. :) For treats, they get millet, honey/seed sticks, nutriberries, corn flakes and chex cereals. :) They also LOVE lettuce as a treat. Sometimes crackers. but don't give crackers often as they contain too much salt. Popcorn without butter and salt makes a great and healthy treat. :)

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 07:19 PM
what kind of veggies... Cheeko doesnt seem to care for anything but umm seeds lol ..

Jessica12345
03-06-2003, 07:31 PM
i dont have a tiel but i give tiki grapes, corn, bannanas, nuts, millet, noodles, and some other stuff:D

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 07:47 PM
ok thanjks :) ... :) I am gunna get millut sprey tom=orow and honey treats on a stick to hang on the side of the cage :D.. Spanky and Cheeko will like that..

Jessica12345
03-07-2003, 06:27 AM
:)

Logan
03-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Every now and then, Roger and Milly get a boiled egg, mashed up, and they also love pasta. I cook them the spiral noodles (tri-color) and break them up into small pieces. They also love leafy green lettuce and will usually eat it right up, as well as millet sprays. I've never tried cereal before, but now I will have to try that too! They do have seeds, pellets and the dried fruit and nut mix at all times too.

popcornbird
03-07-2003, 02:56 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by Logan
Every now and then, Roger and Milly get a boiled egg, mashed up, and they also love pasta. I cook them the spiral noodles (tri-color) and break them up into small pieces. They also love leafy green lettuce and will usually eat it right up, as well as millet sprays. I've never tried cereal before, but now I will have to try that too! They do have seeds, pellets and the dried fruit and nut mix at all times too. [/QUOTE]

Never tried cereal?!?! :eek: My birds won't eat a thing in the morning until they get their breakfast cereal! It good for them too! Don't give them the sugary one much. I usually give my tiels corn chex, rice crispeys, honey nut cheerios, corn flakes, and sometimes honey bunches of oats (their favorite) :eek:

Their favorite veggies are broccoli, lettuce (not iceburg), peas, carrots, spinach, cauliflower :eek: (sometimes), and corn. I give them hard boiled egg once in a while. They'll eat it, but don't love it. :rolleyes: Its important for birds to eat veggies on daily bases. Seeds do NOT give them their full needed nutrition, and they need and like variety. Since your bird has been a seed eater for years, it might be hard to introduce him to veggies and new foods. The way I taught my birds to eat veggies was to put veggies in a plate, have some in my hand, and put the birds in front of the plate. I ate the veggies in my hand in front of them and kept saying mmmmmmmmmmmmmm. They were tempted to try it which they did! It worked! They've loved veggies ever since! Oh yes, and how can I forget. Their favorite treat is POPCORN! Plain popcorn without butter or salt. They LOVE it and sometimes we make popcorn JUST for them! :D

tikeyas_mom
03-07-2003, 07:56 PM
my cockatiel wont eat anything out of my hand he just bites me..

popcornbird
03-07-2003, 08:06 PM
He doesn't have to eat out your hand to learn to eat new foods. My birds LOVE to eat from my hand, but I taught them to eat veggies from a plate. I can't sit there for hours feeding them every bite by hand. My hand would go numb! :eek:

tikeyas_mom
03-07-2003, 08:10 PM
He doesn't have to eat out your hand to learn to eat new foods. My birds LOVE to eat from my hand, but I taught them to eat veggies from a plate. I can't sit there for hours feeding them every bite by hand. My hand would go numb!

I am jealous .. I wish my Teil loved me that much. O well @ least he sits on my finger and sholder. I dont think I have ever even petted him successfully befor.. :( ..

I bought my birds mellet sprey and them each honey treats, to suit their own species. :D

popcornbird
03-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Never been able to pet him? :eek: My tiels would cry if I never pet them! In fact, they always cry when they see me and want me to come and scratch their neck/head! they LOVE being petted!

Are you working with your bird like a told you to (under a sheet). It "should" help.

Jessica12345
03-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Never been able to pet him? :eek: My tiels would cry if I never pet them! In fact, they always cry when they see me and want me to come and scratch their neck/head! they LOVE being petted!
It "should" help.

Tiki too! She will leap off her cage onto me if i dare walk by her cage withough picking her up and petting her!:eek: lol she excpeically likes her "rub downs" from me:D

what are you doing with your bird? are you trying to pick her up, pet her, talk to her, ect.????:confused: