PDA

View Full Version : Update on the poor boxer that was dragged to death.

ilovehounds
06-29-2001, 12:16 PM
I posted the original story in another post but can't remember wich one.

The Smyth County News reported June 9th on the case of a Virginia man who cruelly dragged his girlfriend's dog to death after the two quarreled. According to Saltville police, Charles K. Ratcliff, 28, admitted to tying Max, a Boxer mix, to the bumper of his truck and dragging him for close to a mile. Ratcliff then allegedly loaded Max, still alive, into the back of the truck, drove to a place to throw him over an embankment and buried him with tires and an old chair. By the time police recovered Max, he was dead. Investigators found him with a steel cable around his neck and trail of blood almost a mile long.

"It's just unbelievable," Saltville Police Chief Steve Surber said. "We have a signed statement from him admitting that he did it." Smith has been charged with animal cruelty and other related offenses, and faces an arraignment on July 19th. Unfortunately, because the first offense of animal cruelty is only a misdemeanor in Virginia, Mr. Ratcliff faces, at most, one year's incarceration and a $2500 fine.

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Both the Saltville Police Department and the Commonwealth Attorney's office have been working tirelessly to gather evidence and prosecute Mr. Ratcliff to the fullest extent possible under the law. You can send your letters of support to the Saltville Police Dept. and the Commonwealth Attorney.

Write to: (1) Police Chief Steve Surber, Saltville Police Dept., 217 Palmer Ave, PO Box 730, Saltville, VA 24370 / email Chief Surber's assistant, Karen Tolbert: [email protected], and (2) Jim Pereas, Commonwealth Assistant Attorney, Smyth County Courthouse, 109 Main St., Room 124, Marion, VA 24354 / email: [email protected]

If you are a Virginia resident and you'd like to help strengthen Virginia's animal cruelty law when a bill is introduced in the legislature next year, contact The HSUS' Julie Janovsky at: (202) 955-3661 or [email protected]

06-29-2001, 12:59 PM
OMG! God bless Max and thankfully he is in a better place now. I hadn't seen this story until now. It gave me the chills and made me sick. I pictured this poor animal fighting for his life and when I do my stomach flips and I cry. I cannot imagine the pain he went thru.

My words to the man that did this would be so harsh but it would completely go against the proverb in my signature and what I try really hard to live by. What he did is dispicable and absolutely horrible and he will get his punishment someday....

Rest in Peace little Max