PDA

View Full Version : Question - Bala Shark problem

NoahsMommy
03-04-2003, 06:55 PM
It seems we have another problem in our tank. The ICH went away and now Claire is doing just fine. But now one of the Bala sharks silver is "rubbing" off. His whole "face" area from his eye forward is turning a peach color. There aren't any lesions, it just looks like he rubbed his color off. What does this mean?

Here's a picture of a Bala shark...
http://www.petsmart.com/images/caresheets/0862_150X125.jpg

zippy-kat
03-04-2003, 08:26 PM
Kelly -

I can't tell ya much w/out seein' it first. Sounds like he might've rubbed a few scales off.

I have a wonderful "disease" chart somewhere.... :rolleyes:
I'll search for it this wkend and if I can find it, I'll send you a copy.

Mr. Coral
03-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Usually loss of color of the fish is due to low ph (acid). The first thing I would do is check the ph. If it is not the ph, it could be due to stress from the medication from treating the ICH, in that case I would make a couple of water changes. I would also change the carbon in your filter and make sure all the medication is out of the filter chamber. Good luck.
Tom

NoahsMommy
03-05-2003, 11:37 AM
Thank you Tom! I'll do that tonight...I was wondering about that...I bought an extra filter pad (carbon?) just in case. Thank you! :)

Zippy, That would be so great,I have no idea about all the things that can hurt a fish...thanks so much!

Karen
03-05-2003, 06:47 PM
It is amazing how sensitive those fishies are, and how ignorant we dumb air-breathers can be sometimes. Thanks, Mr. Coral!

Mr. Coral
03-05-2003, 07:08 PM
You're welcome.
Just keep in mind for the future that the Bala Sharks are more sensitive to common aquarium medications than most fish are. :)
Tom