PDA

View Full Version : It's kids like these that make me think there's still hope for humanity...

Ann
03-04-2003, 01:32 PM
http://www.animalnews.com/jordy

The URL above leads to the website of an 11 year old boy named Jordy Brown. He is fighting desperately to stop bull fighting and is extremely dedicated to his cause.
I just sent him an email, partly because I admire him greatly and partly cause I read what mean and cruel emails he's been receiving from bull fighting fans.

He lives in Irvine, the same town that I lived in for close to two years!

Well, just wanted to share...

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 01:52 PM
I am against bull fighting too; I think it is one of the sickest sports out there. Wait, did I say sport? It's not a sport it's animal cruelty.

Shoving spears into an animal, waving a cape in its face as it slowly bleeds to death, and then shove a sword between its shoulder blades into its heart-SICK!!!!

I love to watch t.v. shows were it shows the bullfighters getting the $*@& beat out of them by the bull- serves them right, I cheer on the bull. I'd do the same thing if some idiot did those horrible acts on me.

It's just as bad as the game people play in Argentina; I believe it is, they tie live chickens upside down about 9 feet or so off the ground. Then, people on horses gallop towards the chickens and try and grab them off the poll- I dare not post what all happens to the chickens.

I strongly am for the banning of bull fighting.

Ann
03-04-2003, 02:19 PM
*nods sadly* Yeah, there are a lot of "sports" with animal cruelty included. I know Korea is big on horse fighting for example. It's so sad...

popcornbird
03-04-2003, 02:30 PM
I'm dead against cock fighting too, when they make two roosters fight until one is killed. :mad: That is *SO* cruel.

lovemyshiba
03-04-2003, 02:49 PM
I am against any type of "sport" where an animal is hurt also. This kid is amazing--what a great heart he has!!

RockyRoad
03-04-2003, 02:49 PM
I one heard of a "sport"..forgot what it was called...but the people run around on horses (thats not he cruel part...obviously) and they jump off the hourse and there is a goat running around. Then they tie up th goat by its legs. It may not be as bad as other "sports", but I really don't like it. Poor goaties! :( I am against bull fighting and all the other sick things like that out there. :(

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89

I one heard of a "sport"..forgot what it was called...but the people run around on horses (thats not he cruel part...obviously) and they jump off the hourse and there is a goat running around. Then they tie up th goat by its legs. It may not be as bad as other "sports", but I really don't like it. Poor goaties! :( I am against bull fighting and all the other sick things like that out there. :(

That is similar to calf roping. They lasso the cow than tie its legs-fastest time wins. It doesn't hurt the cow though. (Of course they un-tie it and let it go. LOL.). With goats I could see it being more cruel because goats aren't a tough as cattle, so it would hurt them a little bit more:(.

Ann
03-04-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
That is similar to calf roping. They lasso the cow than tie its legs-fastest time wins. It doesn't hurt the cow though.

I've always wondered about that... Perhaps cows have strong bones and all but still, wouldn't you be scared and stressed like hell if someone did that to you? Same thing goes for rodeos; I really dislike them both.

Nomilynn
03-04-2003, 03:18 PM
I think bull fighting is sick. I also really dislike rodeo sports. It's so sad to see how tormented the animals feel with those straps around them!! :( They wouldn't throw the people off if they weren't scared and uncomfortable. I think it's sick.

Soledad
03-04-2003, 03:25 PM
I would also like to know how someone can say that it doesn't hurt the cattle. How do you know? And like Nomilynn said, while it may not physically hurt, there are all sorts of other stressors that affect health.

Why people need to humiliate, hurt and scare animals for amusement is beyond me....
:mad:

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 03:29 PM
I've always wondered about that... Perhaps cows have strong bones and all but still, wouldn't you be scared and stressed like hell if someone did that to you? Same thing goes for rodeos; I really dislike them both.

Cattle have really tough hides and thick bones, so it doesn't hurt them when it comes to calf roping or any other rodeo event.

When they buck from bull riding, it is because the rope squeezes them, causing them to buck. Like when we get out blood pressure taken. When the cowboy falls off, the rope falls off with him, releaving the bull from the squeezing.

I like rodeos WAY more than bullfighting!! At least the cattle in the rodeo have a nice life outside the ring,and no serious injury is inflicted in them. If there is, such as a streched ligament, medical care is provided for them.

HoRsELUvR
03-04-2003, 03:42 PM
I also like rodeos a lot more than bull fighting.I think bull fighting is terrible and disgusting.I don't see how it can be considered a sport.

Soledad
03-04-2003, 03:43 PM
I don't see too much difference between the two, to be honest. Just that one seems to be more familiar to you than the other.

Nomilynn
03-04-2003, 03:48 PM
There is a rodeo where my parents live every year. My parents went one year, and as a bull or a horse (not sure which) was leaving the gate, the strap that get's put on to make the animal scared got caught on something. Because it was JUST as it was leaving the gate, the animal was all terrified because of the constant poking and tormenting it had been receiving in that little stall to make it buck, and it panicked. I think they were able to calm it down but he could have broken a leg or something easily. Would it be ok for you to constantly poke a person and tease it to the point that it panics and gets hurt because in the long run it can get medical attention, and besides, usually the person lives a happy life? :p I'm not trying to be mean or cause trouble, I'm just trying to point out a different perspective.

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
I would also like to know how someone can say that it doesn't hurt the cattle. How do you know?

Because we have family friends who own cattle and dairy farms. Last time I spent the night at Craig's house we got to talking rodeo's and that is what he told me (along with a bunch of other information.).
_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~
Another thing that rather disturbing is the tropical fish industry. In order to get tropical fish out of the coral, the "wrangler" people squirt cyanide into the cracks to flush the fish out. For every tropical fish captured 5 feet of coral is killed from smashing or the cyanide, along with other sea creatures. :( :( (There is a really informative website about this, but I can't find it right now...:mad: :()

Soledad
03-04-2003, 04:02 PM
I would seriously doubt that it causes no pain. And what about trauma?

I think it's hypocritical to be against bull fights and fine with rodeos...

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 04:06 PM
That's fine...it's your opinion...I'll believe in whatever I want to.

Jessica12345
03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I am against any type of "sport" where an animal is hurt also. This kid is amazing--what a great heart he has!!

that pretty much covers what i was going to say.:(

Desert Arabian
03-04-2003, 04:20 PM
I just sent him an email, partly because I admire him greatly and partly cause I read what mean and cruel emails he's been receiving from bull fighting fans.

Ann, did he ever e-mail/write you back? That would be really neat if he did.

Soledad
03-04-2003, 05:01 PM
I suggest that those of you who think rodeos are "just fine" go to these links. I'd do some research before taking someone's advice and especially when they're someone who profits from questionable practices.

You have to wonder how a rope pulled against your throat wouldn't hurt, don't ya??

Rodeos and Chrysler (http://www.sharkonline.org/indexchrysler.mv)

Animal Abuse in Rodeos (http://www.sharkonline.org/abuseinherent.mv)

primabella
03-04-2003, 06:08 PM
i am against "sports" like these too. best of luck to this boy! :D i am on his side :)

RockyRoad
03-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Another thing that rather disturbing is the tropical fish industry. In order to get tropical fish out of the coral, the "wrangler" people squirt cyanide into the cracks to flush the fish out. For every tropical fish captured 5 feet of coral is killed from smashing or the cyanide, along with other sea creatures. :( :( (There is a really informative website about this, but I can't find it right now...:mad: :( )
OMG!! I never heard about that!! My dad, being a tropical fish freak, would have gone insane if he saw that kind of thing! :( Poor fish.

One thing we could all agree on:
If I could meet the creators of these sick "activities", then I would............................ :D

Oh yeah, about the boy, that is great that he is working to help stop this madness. I really hope he succeeds(sp?).

May God help these poor animals who have to put up with these kind of things.:(

COCatMama
03-04-2003, 11:55 PM
I object to both strongly. When the bull manages to 'get' the 'bullfighter' I CHEER for the bull! same goes for a Rodeo when a Bronco gets revenge.

Ann
03-05-2003, 01:26 AM
I still think rodeos are way wrong, no matter how thick skin cows might have. I really don't think that matters in this case. Thanks for the links Soledad, they were very informative.

Originally posted by YellowLabLover
Ann, did he ever e-mail/write you back? That would be really neat if he did.

Not yet, but it has only been 12 hours since I mailed him so far, and since he lives in a totally different time zone than me you gotta expect that. I'll be sure to let you know if/when he mails me back!

Soledad
03-05-2003, 01:30 AM
I guess if their skin is thicker, they can withstand more rope strangling or "clotheslining" because nothing is more entertaining than seeing a calf being strangled and tied up. :rolleyes:

lynnestankard
03-05-2003, 05:03 AM
Ann many thanks for the link - I was so impressed with this boy. I think for an 11 year to take this on board is wonderful.

Lynne

Ann
03-05-2003, 05:09 AM
NP, I think he deserves all the attention he can get :)