PDA

View Full Version : argh......people

cali
03-04-2003, 12:33 PM
I was at a pet store a few days ago looking for a coupler for my dogs, well a girl about my age walked in looking for a kitten, she said she had looked, and called like all the petstores for a kitten, my mom asked her if she had looked and the humane society and know hat she said? "yah, but then I would hav eto fill out all these adoption papers, and pay for all this extra stuff" by extra stuff she means she would have to get it fixed, and she just wanted a kitten:mad: well theirs one more cat that will end up either in the shelter or roadkill:mad: she says she wants a kitten? well whats she gonna do when that "kitten" grows up? :mad:

K & L
03-04-2003, 12:53 PM
It's all so frustrating. Like I said in a previous post, we have people "dump" their pet cats off in the park, not fixed, and think this will be the best life for them. Little to they realize feral cats don't just accept another cat in their colony. They beat these poor pets up, won't let them eat, etc. I don't know how many pets we've rescued and found homes for.

kimlovescats
03-04-2003, 01:24 PM
I share in your frustration! I just placed a $19.20 newspaper ad yesterday ... pleading for anyone who had an unwanted litter of kittens to call me before dumping them!!!:o :(

K & L
03-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Good for you! Are you going to foster?

slick
03-04-2003, 02:25 PM
I hear ya sister!! I've expressed my views more than once on PT! No need to reiterate again! All we, as pet lovers, can do is to try to educate people the best we can! The rest is up to God!

moosmom
03-04-2003, 02:55 PM
I have always believed that if you can't afford the upkeep of a pet, you have no business being owned by one. Having a pet is like having a child. I have turned away TONS of people when it came to adopting a stray. Why? Well, they either complained about the adoption fee (even after seeing how much I spent to having them utd on shots and fixed) or it was a spur of the moment thing and didn't have a carrier with them. I never regretted it either.

Hey, I'm not working and STILL can take care of my furbabies.

Russian Blue
03-04-2003, 05:54 PM
Many people equate pets as disposable objects. It's really sad and heart breaking.

I have come across many people who make my blood boil when they say they will get a couple of kittens and if they're too much they will get rid of them!

Ick! It's sickening when people see animals as objects or property rather than breathing emotional beings.

;)

NoahsMommy
03-04-2003, 06:29 PM
That is horrible!!!! I'm amazed people have such idiotic attitudes...stupid....

There's nothing I want more in this world than to adopt Mandy (orange girl at the shelter) and Gracie (outdoor, work kitty) if I could. But....I couldn't give them the love and care they deserve with the four we already have, so I will be unselfish and help them in ways I CAN afford to do. Yea, its hard to be "adult", but its the right thing to do.

Grrrr! I can't handle that outlook... :mad: :mad: :mad:

BastetsMum
03-04-2003, 07:12 PM
I think that pet stores should look at being more ethical in the way they do business. Why not purchase animals already doctored and had their shots from humane societies?

For myself this would make more business sense since people would rather go to places with morals rather than places that sell 6 week old kittens that shouldn't be away from their mum.

I know I would certainly be going to a pet store that doesn't allow un-desexed dogs and cats onto the market and encourages desexing of potential pets.

Thats my 2 cents worth anyway ....

moosmom
03-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Bastetsmum,

PetSmart works with local rescue organizations by giving them shelter space with cats (old and young) up for adoption. The group I belong to, H.E.A.D.S. has space at our local PetSmart. I fostered a black cat (Boo) for about a month before HEADS could take him. My friend and I split the cost of having him neutered and shots. It took over a month for him to finally get a home. Every Saturday I would go and visit him, giving him kisses and telling him I loved him. He needed to be the only pet so I couldn't keep him, or he would've had a forever home with me.

I was fortunate enough to be able to keep Eli because he was a kitten and just fit right into my little fur family.

BastetsMum
03-04-2003, 08:42 PM
Thats just great!

We don't have ANYTHING like htat in Australia!

I wish we did!

catmandu
03-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Noahs mummy has once again hit the nail on the head! There are so many so called adults that are spoiled brats , that they want Rights Without responsibility! There is such a lack of that now adays, they just want to PARTY and dont want to pay thier bills , or have any real regard for anyone but themselves. and the poor pets end up as the victims. These idiots have no regard for the older people or even thier children , thereare too many spoiled only children now that the families are smaller!

batgirl1980
03-05-2003, 11:41 AM
I agree. I want to knock people's heads off :eek: that I hear go "I don't have time for my animal anymore" or "it's too expensive" or whatever load of crap they're on.

Eliza came from that situation, and from my husbands parents at that! :eek: What happened was his parents decided that they just didn't want their animals anymore.. so they got rid of their dogs (they found new homes..tho I was begging to get their one dog whom I knew used to be abused before they got him..but to no avail..)..and then my husband found out what they were doing, so we took Eliza before she got dumped at the pound again (which was where she came from at 7months!)... My husband didn't want another cat (we had bach and mozart) but once he knew Eliza was in trouble, that was it... she was here to stay :D

It makes me soooo mad how everyone always just wants kittens.. Grown cats are just as fun! And It makes me irrate when people dump their cats or dogs or whatever off outside or ANYWHERE that isn't their HOME! Pets are for LIFE, not just for a fad! :mad:

I could go on and on and on about this.. I went into petsmart yesterday to pick up some stuff for my cats (and got a toy for them that i wasn't planning on getting !!! :D ), and just happened by the adoption center..it was all adult cats.. I looked at my husband and said "Cant I just take one home" He goes "I wish, we could too" But we just had our car repaired, so we were LUCKY we had money to get the cats we had what they needed... *sigh* I just wanted to take all those cats home with me and love em and kiss em and squeeze em! :D

Course my husband says that he has to watch out when we get our house someday, cuz i'll have about 100 cats in charge of it and us! :D And my response was "what's wrong with that? They'd be safe, loved, and spoiled!" hee hee.

NoahsMommy
03-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by batgirl1980
Course my husband says that he has to watch out when we get our house someday, cuz i'll have about 100 cats in charge of it and us! :D And my response was "what's wrong with that? They'd be safe, loved, and spoiled!" hee hee.
That's what my hubby says too!!! How funny! (Can't wait!!!!) :) :D