PDA

View Full Version : New addition

shais_mom
03-04-2003, 12:20 AM
I just wanted to introduce JAX.
My new betta fish that sits on my computer desk above my head.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p7276170cd15aa3cae427393938e856fe/fc8e4baa.jpg

And this is JASPER , my other betta that I introduced in Sept, but didn't get pics posted.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pf6ef41473b1aab49f8c6e578fce2c58f/fc8e4b9c.jpg
He sits on the kitchen table!!!

zippy-kat
03-04-2003, 12:23 AM
Welcome Jax and Jasper!!!!!
What beauties you are -- I should try and post a pic of Blizzard for you fellas to see!

wolf_Q
03-04-2003, 12:43 AM
What pretty...ermm handsome fish! :D I used to have some bettas, goldfish, frogs, etc. several years ago.....until my brother killed them all. :mad:

zippy-kat
03-04-2003, 12:53 AM
A feeble attempt at photographing Blizzard....

unfort. I can't photograph fish very well!!! this pic doesn't do him justice!

Pam
03-04-2003, 05:50 AM
Staci, they are so pretty and I know you get to spend lots of time with them, being that they are by your computer! LOL! (I should talk!) My hubby has two large fish tanks (a 75 gallon and a 60 gallon) and the cats just LOVE watching the fish, especially Andy. I bet Kylie is very interested too!!! I hope she doesn't try to reach out and touch them! hehe!

jenluckenbach
03-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Such beautiful fish. I see the poor Bettas in those teeny tiny containers at stores and feel so sorry for them. But I feel glad for those that go to wonderful homes and get a little room to float around.

Heather Wallace
03-04-2003, 08:11 AM
welcome both. i love Jaspers colour.

Daisylover
03-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Wow! What gorgeous color!!!! Someone here at work (several buildings away) has a beta in a huge vase and it doesn't have an air filtration system...just a live plant and some clear pebbles at the bottom....it kind of looks likes the set up you might have....

I've never asked her but can you really have a fish without an air filter???? For how long? What happens when weekends come and the fish can't be fed? Since they won't let me have a "work" bunny, I am contemplating getting a beta......got to have something to direct all my conversations too!!!!! :D

shais_mom
03-04-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Daisylover
Wow! What gorgeous color!!!! Someone here at work (several buildings away) has a beta in a huge vase and it doesn't have an air filtration system...just a live plant and some clear pebbles at the bottom....it kind of looks likes the set up you might have....

I've never asked her but can you really have a fish without an air filter???? For how long? What happens when weekends come and the fish can't be fed? Since they won't let me have a "work" bunny, I am contemplating getting a beta......got to have something to direct all my conversations too!!!!! :D
That is exactly the set up I have for Jasper. For Jax, It is called a beta hex/cube. And it has a fake plant in it which I think I might take out b/c it will give him more room.
Jasper's vase has a water lily in it, that kind of set up is virtually mistake proof is what they told me. When I went to the garden store to buy the plant, I told the Lady that I wasn't sure what I would kill first the plant or the fish and she told me I would be fine, and I am doing fine with him. The plant takes out the CO2 of the water, and he also feeds off the the plant also. I still feed him food every couple days. With the plant you only have to change the water maybe once every 2 mos or so. When I first got him I was told you buy spring water, and it got dirty very quickly. Then I bought the ph balancer and now I don't have to clean the water near as much, and I can use tap water.
If anyone has anything else to add please DO!! ;)
Tonya that is a good pic of Blizzard, they are hard to take pics of b/c of the glass. I sympathasize!!!;)
Pam, when I first got Jasper, Kylie would try to get on the table, a big NO-NO! My grandma swore to me that one day when I came home Kylie was "gonna have that fish outta there and you won't know what happened!!" She didn't understand there was a plant in it and there would be a HUGE mess and I would know exactly what happened!!! ;):D

popcornbird
03-04-2003, 02:48 PM
They are beautiful! My mom won't let me get a fish again because they always end up dying on me. :( They are not as easy as feathered and fur kids. :( Guess I need experience. I love bettas!

aly
03-04-2003, 03:26 PM
Hehe Staci, you must be a General Hospital fan. Or is that just a coincidence?

Beautiful babies :)

shais_mom
03-04-2003, 11:27 PM
he he Yes Aly. When I was in high school/college I religiously watched G.H and always liked Jax.( The name and the person ;) ) I thought it was cool!!

aly
03-04-2003, 11:30 PM
I still watch GH .. been watching since third grade! I also watch All My Children and One Life to Live. I like Jax's name too but I'm not too fond about the character on the show. I always wanna smack him :)

Nomilynn
03-05-2003, 01:27 AM
When I saw Jasper and Jax I thought of GH too!!!!! I love that soap.. it's my fave. Where did Brenda go? I wish she would get back together with Sunny.

Anyway, the fishes are beautiful!!! How do you keep the kitty out of the fish bowl on the table?? :confused:

aly
03-05-2003, 01:29 AM
When's the last time you watched Naomi?

Brenda went back to Europe a week or two ago because Jax broke her heart :(

Nomilynn
03-05-2003, 01:30 AM
Unfortunatly I'm in class when GH comes on :( You will have to update me over ICQ!! ;)

Kater
03-05-2003, 02:02 AM
I have a betta too! SQUIRT!:D But no pictures....someday I'll get my Mom's old digital camera.

Jasper, Jax and Blizzard are all gorgeous fishies!

The best information I have found on betta care is located at : http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_care.htm

shais_mom, I think having a live plant means you need to do more water changes than just once every two months. Also the author of this website isn't a huge fan of the betta hex/cubes. Betta are very hardy fish so they can live in less than ideal conditions but we want our fishies happy not just surviving!!!

I'd recommend all the Betta guardians and those considering taking a Betta under their care check out the wonderful wealth of information on http://www.bettatalk.com

shais_mom
03-05-2003, 11:44 AM
Well, I am not sure about the plant and the water change, I just know what works for me. I have talked to several people that have the plant/vase setup, and they said that they don't have to change the water as much either.
I might get a vase/plant when the weather warms up. Not sure if they are easy to find now.

If anyone wants to get a plant/water lily word of warning. I had a difficult time cleaning out the roots. It takes some work.

Tina
03-05-2003, 08:59 PM
Jasper and Jax are both beautiful fish!

Christiansmommy
03-05-2003, 09:20 PM
As soon as I saw what they were named, i knew you must be a GH fan!! I must say, Jasper Jax is about as good as they come to name a pet after ;)

They are beautiful!!

Robyn

shais_mom
03-05-2003, 11:36 PM
LOL Robin, I totally forgot that Jasper
was Jax's first name!!!
It must have been in my subconcious!! ;)

Cincy'sMom
03-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Great pics Staci! Congrats on the new additions!!

I can't ever get good pics of my fish!

Jessica12345
03-06-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
They are beautiful! My mom won't let me get a fish again because they always end up dying on me. :( They are not as easy as feathered and fur kids. :( Guess I need experience. I love bettas!

me2!:eek:

they are so beautiful! i love baxes very bright blue! wow!:eek: very cute!

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 07:31 PM
I think the tanks are a bit to small to house a betta. Most ppl dont know that bettas are tropical fish and need a proper invironment like a ten gallon tank or even a 5 or 6 gallon.. They also need a heater. Bigger tank means bigger territorial. This will boost up bettas confidence and make him feel more prouder in flaring and showing off his fins. More space would make the betta exercise more, therefore it would help the growth of it's fins into it's maximal potential.

Betas originate from the slow moving, slightly stagnant waterways and rice fields of Southeast Asia. The oxygen content of the water in these areas is low, and the beta has evolved a secondary "labyrinth organ" to actually breathe by rising to the surface for a gulp of air. For this reason, Siamese Fighting Fish do not require the same aeration and filtration systems of most aquariums. They can live quite happily in a variety of habitats. However, just because the beta can survive in a cramped, stagnant bowl with no plants or gravel, that doesn't mean that they should be sentenced to such a life. The tiny bowls or plastic punch glasses in which these fish are sold are not suitable for long term habitation. Find a reasonably sized aquarium, goldfish bowl, or even a huge brandy snifter, and add some gravel, a live or plastic plant, and some interesting accessories. The habitat will be more interesting to you and your pet.

I suggest getting a bigger invironment for your bettas :) :)

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 07:46 PM
proper housing for bettas...

http://homepages.tesco.net/~davyreynolds/members_tanks/images/gazat_bettatank_male.jpg

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/community/andrew4a.jpg

this is one that I dont really recommend but it does the dutie of housing a betta.. Better then a jar would..

http://www.djbcreations.com/406com.jpg

I like this one... :D

http://www.erdingtonaquatics.com/tanks/microR388.jpg

http://www.digigate.net/akkwarjumalfa/jallan.jpg

the point is anything is better then a bowl or a jar for your betta.. And on the pluse side you can house bettas with other tropical fish such as balla sharks and fresh water angel fish. Just noty with male bettas...

RogueFerret
03-06-2003, 09:12 PM
I love bettas. They are very pretty. I don't have any though because I seem to have bad luck with fish.:( I have an 18 gallon tank right now with a rainbow shark and two tetras. I can't put anything else in there because the shark kills it! And they told me at the pet store that rainbows were peaceful!:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for showing the betta pics.

shais_mom
03-07-2003, 12:26 AM
I suggest getting a bigger invironment for your bettas
That's pretty funny seeings that I never told you to rehome your bunnies, birds and hamsters that your dog killed. My bettas are happy and healthy and I am just one of a million people that have set ups like this.

wolf_Q
03-07-2003, 12:30 AM
However, just because the beta can survive in a cramped, stagnant bowl with no plants or gravel, that doesn't mean that they should be sentenced to such a life.

Huh, maybe you should take another look at the pics. Wait, is that gravel I see? Plants? Clear water? Oh maybe I'm just seeing things.

I'm curious how you are a fish expert. Do you even have fish?

Nomilynn
03-07-2003, 02:38 AM
T's mom.. where did you get that information? I'm just curious, because according to the betta websites that were provided earlier in this thread, the info you provided is incorrect. Just wondering where it came from...

tikeyas_mom
03-07-2003, 07:38 PM
That's pretty funny seeings that I never told you to rehome your bunnies, birds and hamsters that your dog killed. My bettas are happy and healthy and I am just one of a million people that have set ups like this.

I had my rabbit housed in my room, free most all day, and kenneled at night in a big kenel.

The birds that my dog killed were wild.

The hamster my dog killed was like years ago.. It was in a tank on my brothers floor with no lid. *accident waiting to happen.. The rabbit is the only pet of mine that my dog has killed.

I know you are just 1 of a million ppl who have your bettas in a jar but you can be one of the millions that have on in a tank if you like. They are much happier in tanks. I had 2 bettas that just died like a couple of months ago from old age. They were in two gallon tanks.

2-10 gallon tanks are sufficant. Just advise but you dont have to listen to me..

And I got this info from google. :D

batgirl1980
03-07-2003, 08:27 PM
Wow..I didnt know it could get so mean in here :eek: Please don't bite MY head off for throwing in my opinion.... although i'm wondering if you all bit her head off because this was just to show off ur purty bettas?

There are many many sites out there on bettas. I've had 3 bettas and learn more constantly about them. I, personally, have never had them in a lily vase, or small jar lower than 1 gallon, just because I couldn't see putting any OTHER fish in such a small area.

I am NOT saying how to house your betta, just like I wouldn't say how to house a cat or dog unless that was the topic of a question ;)

I think in general it is half / half in the betta world on opinions on lily vases and bigger tanks and whats the "best" and what's the "worst" for them.

For instance..this site: http://honors.montana.edu/~weif/firsttank/betta.phtml
will tell you 5 gallons minimum.....

bettatalk says small areas are ok with weekly changes or something along that line...

http://www.thebettabubble.com/pgs/care/basic.html
is against lily vases... however has some tips about it:
http://www.thebettabubble.com/pgs/care/vase.html

and here for more info:
http://www.petfish.net/betta/Betta%20Care%20For%20Beginners.htm

and lastly :)
http://petfish.net/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=betta;action=display;num=1045856251
a forum thread on the lily vase, which is actually really cool!

As in everything there are people for and against certain things, and betta vases are a hot one among us betta parents.. :) But it IS my humble ;) opinion that so long as its not the size of a cup, and is thoroughly maintained and the betta can swim swim swim and gets fed... then who cares what you have him in (assuming its not a toilet! :eek: )

Thanks for listening, and hopefully not biting my head off.. btw.. pretty bettas.. they are so hard to photograph.. i'll have to try again with my Napoleon (the betta!) :D