PDA

View Full Version : room to grow...

RICHARD
03-03-2003, 06:07 PM
you win the lottery and part of your prize in ONE room of home improvement? which one and what do you do to it.....

p.s. if you rent-pretend you win a house and are going to improve the space....

(anything goes, and those annoying people on TLC will not show up)

mugsy
03-03-2003, 06:11 PM
RICHARD!!! I LOVE TRADING SPACES!!! lol

I would choose my kitchen I think. If not that it would be the basement. Although if I won the lottery I'd move out of this yucky house and buy land in northern Wisconsin and build a house and put a VERY secure fence around it so the dogs could run. Ah the wishful dreams of a dog owner.

moosmom
03-03-2003, 06:19 PM
One room???? Screw that! I'd buy my own island, fence it in and create a sanctuary for all the feral cats and animals in kill shelters. Funny you should mention winning the lottery. When I was laying in bed last night I thought about what I'd do if I won. Great minds think alike :D

Desert Arabian
03-03-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I'd move out of this yucky house and buy land in northern Wisconsin

:D :D :D :D Bring some beer, cheese, and a chesehead and you'll be loved by all (when you move).:D :D :D :D

Ya der, and in a no time, yuda be talking like a nordener-YA DER HEY! Especially if ya go up near da UP, ya (der hey!).

Nomilynn
03-03-2003, 06:25 PM
In this house, I would remodel the kitchen.. I don't have a dishwasher.. and I HATE washing dishes by hand!!! But honestly, if I won the lottery, I would buy a car, mortgage a house (if I had a full time job to pay it off), and invest in my retirement with some high interest accounts.

Fuzzy317
03-03-2003, 06:25 PM
I LOVE TRADING SPACES!!!

I like Trading Spaces and While You Were Out.

For us, it would have to be the main bathroom. We are working on it a little at a time, but it would be nice just to pay someone else to do it. :rolleyes:

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-03-2003, 06:28 PM
I would re do the living room... MAKE IT HUGE... with some walls to section it off into different types of rooms.. one would be mostly glass with some plantation blinds.. this would be Tinky and Jupiter's room since they love to lay in the sun... I would have some really cool cat trees and a cat safe plant garden so they could dig in the dirt and chew on some grass and plants...

Then one room would be for Eric's entertainment system... his tv and stereo stuff is just too much for our small living room.. and I would make it sound proof so when he watches movies it won't bother me while I am in....

the other room... a library.. with a big fireplace and a comfy cozy couch and some plants in there too... :D :D

RICHARD
03-03-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Great minds think alike :D

remember, you are throwing in with the devil:eek:

you still have time to escape!

Kfamr
03-03-2003, 06:34 PM
My room. I's have pictures of Nelly painted on alond with posters and everthing Nelly, with a little Tupac here and there:D

mugsy
03-03-2003, 06:40 PM
Richard, you are SO bad! lol

RICHARD
03-03-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

For us, it would have to be the main bathroom. We are working on it a little at a time, but it would be nice just to pay someone else to do it. :rolleyes:

Fuzzy,

i just gave you the chance NOT to be practical.........
you may be disqualified from this thread for asking for so
little...;)

mugsy
03-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Aww c'mon Rich....

You know what they say, the 2 most expensive rooms in the house to remodel are the kitchen and the bathroom. <eg>

Pam
03-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I would like to finish off the basement (which hubby started several years ago but never finished. :rolleyes: ). Of course he would have to throw out a lot of **his**junk first before we could start. I watch Trading Spaces occasionally and have to say that in most of the projects I liked "before" better. But what do I know....:rolleyes:

mugsy
03-03-2003, 06:58 PM
I love Frank and Vern. I also like Gen. I cannot stand Hildy and Doug gets on my nerves. I usually like the after better, except for Hildy's rooms....she's just a little too far left of center for me.

Cookiebaker
03-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Definitely the kitchen! We are planning on gutting it this fall anyway...I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :rolleyes:

KYS
03-03-2003, 08:46 PM
kitchen:
I new kitchen with a dish washer too.
I am tired of being the dishwasher.

Fuzzy317
03-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
Fuzzy,

i just gave you the chance NOT to be practical.........
you may be disqualified from this thread for asking for so
little...;)

If money is no object, I think the whole house could use a face lift. New carpet or hardwood flooring, new counter in kitchen, main bath finished, 2nd bath redone, a few walls down, new driveway, new steps, new patio, build in gas grill, new path to street from house, new shed or shelter outside for dogs in rain, screen porch off back......

I could go on and on, am I disqualified ?

mugsy
03-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Gee Scott, I think if he disqualifies you now, I'm going to protest. lol

micki76
03-03-2003, 09:46 PM
I love Frank and Vern. I also like Gen. I cannot stand Hildy and Doug gets on my nerves. I usually like the after better, except for Hildy's rooms....she's just a little too far left of center for me.
I actually know Frank and he's exactly as you see him. A NUT! :D
I love the rooms that Laurie does.

Soledad
03-03-2003, 10:31 PM
I would install a tandoor oven and a wood fire oven in my enormous, state-of-the-art kitchen. That way I could have tandoori chicken/lamb/shrimp and wood fired pizza all the time!!:) :)

zippy-kat
03-03-2003, 11:45 PM
RICHARD!!! I LOVE TRADING SPACES!!! lol

HEY!! I looovvveee to watch Ty errr...uhh... trading spaces!:D

Barbara
03-04-2003, 04:02 AM
The kitchen. Much bigger, so that you can live in. A tandoor would be fine. And an open fireplace.
Can I have more space in the bathroom too?
With a whirlpool and one of these all-over massage showers. Maybe a sauna too. And a massage room (I'd copy some Balinese 5 star hotels- would need the employees too....).

lynnestankard
03-04-2003, 05:30 AM
Oh! Great idea Richard - wishful thinking!!

I'd love a full loft conversion - make a huge light room up there, then all my art and craft stuff would have somewhere to go - I've already taken over Elizabeth's bedroom - AND IT'S NOT BIG ENOUGH! Plus...............she'll perhaps want it back when she comes home from her travelling.
So if you'd like to arrange an architect and decorator - I'm more than ready! WooHoo - can't wait!

Lynne

neko1
03-04-2003, 05:34 AM
Well since I already have my country kitchen I would have to say the bedroom. We haven't done anything to it since we moved in 3 years ago!! It's got white walls, curtain, and this horrible orange shag carpet! We just don't have the money to redo it yet.

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 05:38 AM
Definitely the kitchen...make it HUGE, bright, welcoming with skylights, a big hearth, a Viking stove, a subzero frig and definitely a tandoor oven!! I make Tandoori often but it's just not the same,cooked in a conventional oven!!:( (Soldedad, help me here!!) Oh, and a wine cellar down below...and an attached greenhouse for growing fresh herbs and orchids! And of course Ty from Trading Spaces would be there to supervise the construction!:D I think I just blew my "wad!":D

I love to "hate" Doug!! Soooooooo testy!!:D On a show I watched recently, he got so ticked off when his "team" kept questioning his "taste," that he handed them the plans, told them to do it themselves and walked off!:D I love Laurie but Gen's a little too "industrial chic" for me. Would love her services if I had a loft in SoHo, but not a ranch house in a suburban development.

Christiansmommy
03-04-2003, 06:27 AM
Just one???? Alright I'll try to make it just be ***ONE*** room :)

I would really want an addition put on...we live in a 3 bedroom rancher with only a living room...no family room. He are hopiing to actually put a family room on this summer...and we definatly need the space. If i had mucho money to spend on it, it would have hard wood floors, and a big, cozy fire place...and a sky light on the ceiling. Less is more in my opinion...so nice furniture and decor...but not overly cluttered. I would then have to get hard wood floors in the rest of my house to match the family room ;) Which we actully might get in the living room...i am so looking forward to that...it'll be much easier to clean up messes from a toddler and hopefully a dog in our future...that is one reason why i want the hard wood floors.

Okay, well since the rest of the house looks so nice, i think i'd have to redo the kitchen. I kinda want a Mexican flare to it. Not bright colors, but natural, rich colors. Nice chuncky slabs of floor tile...Rich colors all around...Some sort of marble counter top and really rustic looking dishes, but not something so off the wall, that I won't like it in a few years...

Slap, Slap...wake up Robyn, you are dreamin!! It was fun while it lasted :) Someday...for sure ;) :D

I love Trading Spaces and While you were out...they really help to widen your ideas...somethings are extreme on some shows, but over all, i always get neat ideas from the shows...and off course, Ty from trading Sapces and Andrew from While you were out make it a little nicer to watch, heheheh ;) :D ;)

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 06:36 AM
HOW could I forget Andrew??! That is one gorgeous AND sweet guy!!:) But let's not forget carpenter Amy Wendt! She's not my "type," but she's one talented young woman!!

Edwina's Secretary
03-04-2003, 10:29 AM
Be careful what you ask for...you might get it! I have been through remodeling both the main bathroom and the kitchen! What a mess!

So if I had real money...it would be the bathroom --- huge. With a chandelier, a chaise lounge, bookshelves, a soaking/whirlpool tub, huge shower, maybe a fireplace too. Big high sinks and a window that looks out into the high branches of trees.....

what's a tandoor???

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 10:41 AM
tan·door n. pl., tan·doors or tan·door·i. A cylindrical oven made of clay, heated to a high heat over charcoal or wood, and used in India for baking bread and roasting meat.

RICHARD
03-04-2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Fuzzy317

I could go on and on, am I disqualified ?

NO....that's the spirit!

Soledad
03-04-2003, 02:19 PM
Even though it's morning, the mention of tandoors has me salivating at my desk.

I had some excellent tandoori lamb this weekend. It's never the same in a regular oven, is it??

Oh, and I second the wine cellar.

Miss Meow
03-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Can a garden be classified as a room? Our back yard has not a single tree, bush, shrub or any other sign of life - gimme a makeover!

tatsxxx11
03-04-2003, 03:09 PM
I'm a horticulturist....I'll come!!!!!!!!:)

Soledad
03-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Indoor-outdoor flow!!! It's the best!

Can I also get an enormous brick barbecue installed???

RICHARD
03-04-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
Can a garden be classified as a room? Our back yard has not a single tree, bush, shrub or any other sign of life - gimme a makeover!

let me finish with the windows!

i'll get right on it!
:)

RICHARD
03-04-2003, 04:43 PM
my just finished garage!!!!!

first a compound mitre box, band saw, table saw, router table,
planer, drill press.........wall to wall work bench.
heated concrete floor, skylight windows, a keg-erator. a 50 inch plasma t.v. with satellite dish, a set of doors that swing out to the patio, in the front, where i can keep the furniture i build, and drink a beer or glass or lemonade right as the sun goes down.

(THAT one is for all the guy's who have 'stuff, electronics, junk
or collectibles' your significant others have described in this thread......)

slleipnir
03-04-2003, 07:39 PM
I like Trading Spaces and While You Were Out.

lol, me too :D

I guess I'd need a house 1st to do it but yeah, with this house I'd have to say my room :]

joycenalex
03-04-2003, 08:40 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Soledad
.....a wood fire oven in my enormous, state-of-the-art kitchen. That way I could have tandoori chicken/lamb/shrimp and wood fired pizza all the time!!:) :) oh my gosh, wood fired pizza at home?!? do you think the dogs would let me eat in peace? or would they get 'pieces'? :D .
i bought my house last year, and what i would do is refinish the basement and install a small bathroom for when company visits.
the second day i was here, i ripped off the burnt-orange wallpaper from the 1960s style rumpus room. i'd like to update that area. oh yeah, i'd like ceiling fans in the bedrooms and builtin bookshelves for all my books and books to be bought.....

Barbara
03-05-2003, 10:56 AM
Richard you sound like a very useful man:p

RICHARD
03-05-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Barbara

Richard you sound like a very useful man:p

i dislike plumbing and electricity scares the poop outta me!
so i'm not that useful......

real men plumb and electrify!

Barbara
03-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Electric things are the only ones I can deal with (and still live). But if I started to build furniture I'd be without hands, feet etc.
My grandpa was known to be a man who could cook and plumb and build whatever he wanted-but since then there was no man nor woman in this family with all these skills.
And one of his ancestors could knit as well -it was something the shepherds did:cool:

mugsy
03-05-2003, 08:52 PM
So Richard, are you saying you don't have an electric personality?? :p

Kfamr
03-05-2003, 09:01 PM
My daddy does everything. There's not one thing he can't do, well if his back allows him. One thing he has trouble with is spelling :p

Nomilynn
03-05-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
My daddy does everything. There's not one thing he can't do, well if his back allows him. One thing he has trouble with is spelling :p

Your dad sounds like my dad!! Except with my dad, it isn't his back that gives him grief, it's his knee. :) Does your dad always have to have a project to work on too?

RICHARD
03-06-2003, 11:37 AM
So Richard, are you saying you don't have an electric personality?? :p

i have a magnetic personality......
did you ever put magnets together and they push each other away???????

it's something like that.

Cataholic
03-06-2003, 12:07 PM
Ah, the kitchen. I want ceramic tile to replace the ORIGNIAL sheet vinyl (yep, I just admitted it). I want California closets to come on over and build a floor to ceiling pantry. I want to remove the GLUED on ceiling tile (what were they thinking?), and add a breakfast bar to a wall. Oh, a dishwasher, too.

But, Richard, forgive me for adding a second room to the list. I live in a cape cod styled shoebox. The upstairs is not finished. I have these lovely wood steps leading up to the attic, and plywood flooring...and would love to make a master suite, complet with bathroom...I would be willing to settle for minimum...though I dispise carpet.

Oh, and while I am on it..the backyard. I want a six foot privacy fence, a border planter installed around my patio, a garden setting..with some gravel walkways, a fountain, some benches, etc.

RICHARD
03-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Ah, the kitchen. I want ceramic tile to replace the ORIGNIAL sheet vinyl (yep, I just admitted it). I want California closets to come on over and build a floor to ceiling pantry. I want to remove the GLUED on ceiling tile (what were they thinking?), and add a breakfast bar to a wall. Oh, a dishwasher, too.

But, Richard, forgive me for adding a second room to the list. I live in a cape cod styled shoebox. The upstairs is not finished. I have these lovely wood steps leading up to the attic, and plywood flooring...and would love to make a master suite, complet with bathroom...I would be willing to settle for minimum...though I dispise carpet.

Oh, and while I am on it..the backyard. I want a six foot privacy fence, a border planter installed around my patio, a garden setting..with some gravel walkways, a fountain, some benches, etc.

hey....
i'm on no position to disuade you from adding a room.
i just start the threads, you guys make them go!

hardwood floors and clean white socks!!!!

california closets, so far away from here??????
are you pulling my leg?
;)

mugsy
03-06-2003, 01:26 PM
So Richard are you telling us that you are like poles?? hehe

And on that note, I think I'll leave well enough alone. :)

Gee Jo, it sounds like you want to do about as much as Mike and I do, but, we'll probably be gone from that stupid house before it all gets done....are you getting that I REALLY don't like the house where I live? :D

RICHARD
03-06-2003, 02:29 PM
So Richard are you telling us that you are like poles?? ? :D

bipolar....lol!

mugsy
03-06-2003, 03:52 PM
That explains a lot! hehehe j/k

Cincy'sMom
03-06-2003, 04:18 PM
I haven't posted on this thread yet, cause I don't know where to start! So far, we have replaced the carpet (yes, carpet :() in the kitchen with laminate flooring and repainted the bathroom from pink (ceiling included) to cream. We also had the basement waterproofed so we could finish it. Next I would like to get rid of the red, orange, and blue carpet. Course I'd like to finish teh basement and the upstairs (untouched dormer)...it could take the rest of my life I think :) I'm with you Molly....easier to move :)

Dakota's Mommy
03-06-2003, 04:33 PM
Well, since we live in Military housing, we don't own the home the home so we can't do anything major. Personally, I'd just like to own our own home! It is nice not having to pay for it though!

RICHARD
03-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
Well, since we live in Military housing, we don't own the home so we can't do anything major.

pssst, don't talk to the 'major'-go to the top! ask a general!!!

;)

joycenalex
09-09-2007, 08:27 AM
[QUOTE=joycenalex....and what i would do is refinish the basement and install a small bathroom for when company visits. the second day i was here, i ripped off the burnt-orange wallpaper from the 1960s style rumpus room. i'd like to update that area. oh yeah, i'd like ceiling fans in the bedrooms and builtin bookshelves for all my books and books to be bought.....[/QUOTE]
no built in bookshelves, yet, the carpenter will be coming in early october for that, and the half bath will be done in spring after the tax refund, so i still want to refinish the basement. the one estimate i got to do a corning compay designed basement room, just one room was over 65 K. way way out of my price range, not to mention, way way out of my neighborhood range. and i got the ceiling fans in 2005
so what would you all do now? :)