PDA

View Full Version : Parents PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful!!!!!

luckies4me
03-03-2003, 12:13 PM
Last night my son Dylan (15 months) got his foot stuck in between the
wooden slats on his Jenny Lind crib. These are VERY expensive cribs
but are still the slats should be spaced closer together. His crib
meets all the standards they must meet and everything but this STILL
happened.

He went to bed at 9 pm, and around 10:30 I heard him start screaming
so loud. I ran into the bedroom turned on the light and saw his foot
stuck in bewteen the bars. I screamed for Dan totally panicking
because I couldn't get his foot out. :( I was crying so bad. I had to
pull the crib out and twist his leg to get his foot free. I was a
wreck. I cannot stand to see him get hurt. :( His foot is bruised and
I will be taking pictures and sending it to the company. I don't know
how I am to prevent this from happening again, only pray to god it
doesn't happen again.

So please if your baby cries check on him every time like I do. Dan
often says to let him cry and he will go back to bed but I knew this
time something was wrong. A mother knows!!!!

During this time I was holding my three velveteen two week old babies
when I heard Dylan crying. My mind reacted so fast I didn't know
where I had put my babies. I had thrown them down in the crib to help
Dylan. After Dylan was free I remembered about my babies and started
freaking out. They were in the crib unharmed but still, it was very
nervewracking to have your son trapped and them you not even knowing
where you through your fur children during that time. I guess I just
thre them down not even thinking. My god, I felt so horrible after.
Thank goodness they were all fine. What a night I tell you. Something
I DO NOT want to go through again!!!!

I am sorry this is messed up but just typing about this makes me cry.

primabella
03-03-2003, 12:21 PM
oh, i am so glad that dylan is okay. that would be really scary. i remember when my brother would be using the walker (to help him walk :p) we would always have to close the gate to downstairs. well, one night my sister forgot to. i remember it so perfectly. i was coloring in my barbie coloring book when i heard a loud BOOM and then a scream. my brother had "walked" down the stairs. my mom and dad were freaking out. they brought us to my aunts house and took my bro to the hospital. not even a scratch on him. it was like a miracle. i am so careful now with little babies and whenver i hear a scream or cry i freak.

thansk for the warning. please send the pictures to the company so they can learn :)

NoahsMommy
03-03-2003, 12:47 PM
I don't have children, so this question may seem dumb. ;)

But, would those bumper pad things help at all? Not sure if that's what they are called.

Poor Dylan. :(

luckies4me
03-03-2003, 12:50 PM
They would be they are supposed to be removed at a certain age so that they do not use them to climb out of the crib. :(

Tanya&Fritz
03-03-2003, 12:51 PM
Poor Dylan, how scary for everyone :( Thank God it all worked out OK.

lovemyshiba
03-03-2003, 02:53 PM
How Scary!!
I don't have children, but thank you for the warning anyway.
I am so glad that Dylan, you and your babies are ok!!

Jessica12345
03-03-2003, 03:10 PM
poor dylan! im so glad he is ok! glad you checked on him!:eek:

please do send pics to the company!:)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Oh, poor Dylan! I hope that never happens again!

I remember a few Christmas's ago, my uncle Nick gets seizures (sp?) every once in a while, and he was carrying my little cousin Nicholas down the stairs, (he's about 4 now), and he had a seizure, and he fell face first down the stairs, with little Nicholas in his arms. It was so scary. My dad helped him onto the couch, my Aunt Liz grabbed Nicholas, and my Papa called 911. he was ok, but it was soo scary!:(

Sorry for blabbing!

marysmerrycats
03-04-2003, 12:06 AM
what an awful experience for you, and your baby!
but something makes me think it will not be the last time, he scares you...since he is a boy! my mother had 4 boys and has stories lol!

Im sorry your baby got hurt, how is he now?

boscibo
03-04-2003, 12:13 AM
Another scary thing - my boyfriend was at Best Buy the other day and a 2 year old fell out of a shopping cart. She had been standing in the back and the mom had a baby in the front seat, the little girl saw something, grabbed for it, and went over the side - hitting her head hard on the cement floor. They called the paramedics and the girl was OK, but my BF was seriously freaked out - he said if he had been 2 steps ahead of where he was he could have grabbed her before she hit the floor. :(

Stenograsaurus
03-04-2003, 11:40 AM
I also have a Jenny Lind crib which I did not use until my little girl started sleeping through the night. It was the first night I put her in the crib to sleep. I went in the next morning and she was still asleep but her one leg was also between the slats sticking out. Since she was only a couple months old, she did not have any bruising or trauma like your little one did. I also had the bumper pad in the crib and it didn't prevent it. But at 18 mths. of age a bumper pad would be a danger. Dylan could use it to climb out.
I know the feeling of having a child's leg stuck. When visiting my aunt my daughter got her leg stuck in their chair. She was three at the time. We had to get hand cream and cream her leg up to get it out. We worked on it for about five minutes and it was one of the scariest times in my life. The other scary time was when my husband fell down the steps holding her. He did a wonderful job of protecting her but he had suffered a pretty good back injury. They basically slid down on his back and he had her safely in his arms.
I'm glad Dylan is okay but as a parent I have to tell you there are going to be many times when you are going to be scared, expecially if you have a little daredevil for a boy. Hopefully Jenny Lind will change their cribs after seeing the pictures.

moosmom
03-04-2003, 02:40 PM
I'm glad to hear Dylan is okay and also glad you're sending pictures to the company, especially since you aren't the only one that has experienced it.

MANY years ago (32 to be exact) before they had consumer laws on cribs, car seats, etc., my nephew was in his crib (wooden slat, don't know the brand) screaming. We ran upstairs and his knee was bent, caught between the slats. We had to use Vaseline to get it out. His knee swelled and bruised but he was basically okay.

I hope the company responds to your complaint. I would also send copies of the pictures to consumer protection. Could this crib need a recall??? Makes me wonder.

HoRsELUvR
03-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Im glad Dylan was ok!I sort of remember something about getting my foot caught in the crib when I was a baby.My mom had to come and unstick it,and I remember I was crying.They should really make cribs safer so babies dont get too badly hurt.

popcornbird
03-04-2003, 03:44 PM
Poor baby! My mom told me a story of my brother when he was just 8 months old. She put him in his crib after rocking him to sleep and left. A few minutes later, she heard crying and screaming coming from the room! She ran and found my brother on the ground crying! He had a huge bruise on his head. :( The next day when my mom put him to sleep, she stayed in the room to see what he was up to. He woke up, stood by holding the crib bars, and jumped up and down as high as he could! :eek: He was about to flip over and fall on the ground again but my mom caught him just in time! :eek: Babies. :rolleyes:

I'm so glad Dylan is ok. You should always keep your ears open when there's a baby in the house. :)

Brie
03-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Don't just report it to the company. Call Consumer Reports! http://www.consumerreports.org Ask if there have been any other complaints or if they have reviewed the crib.
But, still do inform the company! And if the company doesn't care, report them to the Better Business Bureau! www.bbb.org.

Companies need to be held accountable for their products! And if it takes threatening them with lawsuits for them to correct the problem, then so be it.

I hope the babies okay. No bone damage or sprained ankles.

luckies4me
03-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Thank you all for the information. I took pictures today, I wanted to wait for the bruising to be noticable.

I never knew about Consumer Reports. Thanks so much everyone for your help! Dylan is OK, thank GOD! And I am really thanking him when I say this! It is so very scary everytime he gets hurt. I just can't stand seeing him cry in pain. :(

moosmom
03-05-2003, 09:48 AM
Cass,

Good for you!! I think it needs to be reported. Especially if there are more of those cribs out there. It might save a kid's life.

Being a Mom can be very stressful. I feel for you. When my daughter Amy (who will be 27 in 2 weeks :eek: ) was 3, she fell down a flight of basement stairs and hit concrete with her head. :eek: Talk about freaked out!! She looked like she had a go around with a boxing glove. She survived a concussion and was pretty banged up. Did I feel guilty? You bet! Sometimes you just can't help it. But kids will be kids. And it probably won't be the last time he gets hurt. Ya gotta go with the flow.

When she was 16 she was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. Did I feel guilty?? You bet! I thought that fall down the stairs was my fault and it caused the tumor. The doctor reassured us that it wasn't the reason. Amy has been in remission for 10 years. She is living proof that $hit happens.

Been there, done that. Believe me! Hang in there and stay strong.

Rooroo
03-05-2003, 10:05 AM
That's so truly scary!! I am so glad your little pumpkin is ok....

All Creatures Great And Small
03-05-2003, 02:53 PM
Wow, that's quite a story. I'm glad too it was just some bruising, but I don't think it does Dylan any good for you to get so hysterical when things like this happen. If kids sense their mom panicking, it just intensifies the panic for them. They also might start to enjoy their ability to make mom freak out, and will end up overreacting for attention. Try to remain calm. Conduct yourself as though you were the closest EMT who needs to give medical aid without falling to pieces. Yes, I know it's hard when it's your own children, but they need to feel that you are their rock, and are fully capable of making things better for them. (Now, if it had been his neck that was caught, and death was imminent, that would be another thing altogether, and the strongest of parents would fall apart.) Had it been me, I probably would have calmed baby while having Dad work on the foot that was stuck, either by Vaseline or by cutting off the post holding it trapped. How about purchasing some loosely woven mesh-type material to wrap tightly around the outside of the crib, so that he can't stick any of his parts through? Then he would still be able to see outside the crib and have ventilation. Or, how about putting a mattress in a playpen or travel crib with higher, net sides? I can never remember what your financial situation is from week to week, but if you have plenty of money, buy a better crib setup, and if not, modify the one you have until he's old enough to sleep in a bed with a safety rail.

luckies4me
03-05-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
Or, how about putting a mattress in a playpen or travel crib with higher, net sides? I can never remember what your financial situation is from week to week, but if you have plenty of money, buy a better crib setup, and if not, modify the one you have until he's old enough to sleep in a bed with a safety rail.

We just took him out of his play pen to put him in a crib, which would give him more room. He just started sleeping on his own, sleeping sometimes in his playpen and other nights with us.

I do not think it was appropriate for you to mention anything about my financial situation. As far as his crib goes, it was purchased in December, and was a Christmas present which costs well over 350$ for the whole setup including the crib, which is convertible to a toddler bed when he reaches 2 years of age, the matress and the comforter set. It is a very nice crib, if there is a "better" one out there perhaps someone can let me know.

All Creatures Great And Small
03-05-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I do not think it was appropriate for you to mention anything about my financial situation. Why? You yourself mention it every chance you get, whether good or bad - one of the first things you mentioned in the original post was what an expensive crib it was, so the financial aspect was put out there by you, not me. One day you're telling everyone you're broke, the next you've "won a lawsuit" (?) and are rolling in dough. I just didn't want to suggest something expensive and have you all ticked off at me for not being sensitive to your financial situation.