PDA

View Full Version : Nose turning pink

mkgwolf
12-06-2001, 02:34 PM
KODI'S NOSE IS TURNING PINK BUT IT USUALLY HAPPENS WHEN IT IS COLD AND THERE IS SNOW ON THE GROUND. HE SNIFFS AROUND IN THE SNOW SO SMOEHOW THAT MAKES HIS NOSE TURN PINK. IT HAS BEEN WARM AND SUNNY FOR THE PAST COUPLE WEEKS. MAYBE HE CAN PREDICT THE WEATHER. DOES THIS HAPPEN TO ANYONE ELSES DOGS?

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/yl/Xn50771.jpg

BEFORE

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/007/mj/BI/eH/6138654.jpg

AFTER

ramanth
12-06-2001, 02:37 PM
First off... KODI IS GORGEOUS!!!

Second... I wish I could help. I've had Kia since June and have not had her with snow on the ground. But maybe this will happen whenever we DO get snow. *grins*

Does his nose go back to black when he's in a warm enviroment? How odd!

~Kimmy

thelmalu99
12-06-2001, 03:25 PM
Sorry, I don't know much about doggie noses, but I DO know a beautiful dog when I see one and Kodi is definitely a looker! :)

tatsxxx11
12-06-2001, 03:26 PM
Is that THE Kodi???? DOTD Kodi??? You are so beautiful!! And yes, my lab's nose turns pinker in winter. The breeder and vet have told me that's a normal change! Have to go check Star's nose! :D Cold spelling coming???

RachelJ
12-06-2001, 03:57 PM
Oh, Matt, I am so sorry we didn't recognize Kodi as ONE OF OUR OWN when he was Dog of the Day. You certainly wrote a beautiful tribute to your beautiful boy and to how special it is for a person and a dog to find one another and live happy ever after. By the way, where have YOU been lately???? You know the female factor on this board can get a little carried away without the guys to calm us down. :p

As far as pink noses are concerned my Hannah's nose was dark as a puppy but lightened to a pinkish tone as she got older. Never does darken in summer.

Logan
12-06-2001, 04:04 PM
We knew it was someone we knew that was Dog of the Day this week! Just couldn't put Kodi and you together!!

Honey and Lilly's snozzles are turning pink too. Its a wintertime thing, but we rarely get any snow around here and it certainly hasn't turned into winter yet!!! :D

ilovehounds
12-06-2001, 04:58 PM
I have nothing to say about the nose thing I just wanted to say ....

WOW HE IS GORGEOUS !!!!

We rescued a Siberian Husky who has the same markings as kodi but does not have those stunning eyes. (We found her a wonderful home, she made the big trip to collage this year, there was no seperating her from her mommy :) not even to stay with gramma)

aly
12-06-2001, 05:39 PM
That happened to my labby Dessi's nose a lot too :)

sammi
12-06-2001, 10:02 PM
My lab mix Buddy's nose has turned pink and goes to black in the summer.

Dixieland Dancer
12-07-2001, 10:07 AM
This subject has always fascinated me.

Pink nose is technically called "hypopigmentation" (or snow nose) and is a result from loss of sunlight. It does not have anything to do with snow on the ground or the days being colder. You will notice that it begins a little after all the leaves on desiduous trees have fallen. The same way that lack of sunshine causes trees to signal it's time to change color, it signals to dogs to loose some nose pigment. Once winter is over pigment darkens again but it doesn't always return as dark as it was initially. In older dogs the condition seems to be a little worse every year. This is because the nose never returns fully to the full dark pigment it was when they were younger.

Another reason for this condition is a deficiency of B vitamins, PABA in particular. A lot of people who show their dogs in breed (conformation) supplement during winter to help offset the Snow nose condition. It has been known to help.

ownerof3dogs
12-07-2001, 03:39 PM
Maybe he thinks hes Rudolph the red nose Husky!

mkgwolf
12-10-2001, 05:02 PM
ITs due to lack of sunlight? Woldnt of thought of that I heard someone call it snownose before...I think Kodi has normal Siberian markings because i've sen many dogs that lokk like like and some woman told me he looked just like her dog, he even had the brown patches on the legs. He does can creepy almost white eyes. When hes in the house his pupils get almost as big as his eyes so it looks like he has totally black eyes. His mask is starting to fade too. I've been busy and dont have much time to get on the computer. http://s2.webshots.com/icache/co/63/95/20726395leiHVMHIzPthumb.jpg
http://images.webshots.com/images/3/13003_wallpaper280.jpg

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: mkgwolf ]

http://images.webshots.com/images/79/3179_wallpaper280.jpg

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: mkgwolf ]

Sudilar
12-10-2001, 05:33 PM
Kodi is gorgeous!!

karen israel
12-11-2001, 07:56 AM
My Cody's (GR/Yellow Lab mix)snozz-ola started turning pink a few years ago and seems to increase every year (he just turned 10) The vet suggested suntan lotion if he's out in the sun (lasted about 1 sec..lick, lick off). I just keep an eye on it. It doesn't interfere with his handsome face.
Dixie......what exactly is "collie-nose" speaking of noses??????? Cody was treated for it prior to the pinky nose

Rottie
12-11-2001, 09:07 AM
That is so neat that Kodi's nose changes color! :) :D

Dixieland Dancer
12-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by K9karenI:
<STRONG>
Dixie......what exactly is "collie-nose" speaking of noses??????? Cody was treated for it prior to the pinky nose</STRONG>

Collie Nose is the summer time version of loss of pigment in the dog's nose. This is more rare and is more of a skin dermititis with a rash and peeling of sensitive skin associated. Kind of like a sunburn. It is called Collie nose since the Collie and other herding breeds are more susceptable, either because they are out working in the fields all day or the skin is more sheer. I am not sure which it is. This nose problem is actually more of a too much sun problem than the snow nose lack of sunlight scenerio. Some people actually tattoo the nose with black ink to act as a sunblock. I think it would be easier to just monitor how much sun the dog gets.

While keeping the dog out of the sun for Collie nose is usually effective, there is no sure fire way to prevent snow nose. As stated earlier the Vitamin B supplements seem to help. And it is normal that snow nose gets worse every year.

Certain other breeds tend to lose pigment faster too. I believe the Husky would fit into this category. Sometimes the nose actually turns white instead of pink. I've heard of this but have never actually seen it.