PDA

View Full Version : Emily has a cold (I think...)

emily_the_spoiled
03-03-2003, 06:46 AM
I had taken Tanner in to be fixed about 2 weeks ago and it seems that he came home with a slight cold. Well he has gotten over it, but he was very "generous" and passed it on to Emily. The problem is that she seems to be suffering much more with it. She has been sneezing like crazy the last couple of days and even "sounds" congested when she meows. But the thing that is making me a little worried is that she is not eating food. She is still drinking plenty of water (I have watched her). I have tried everything to get her to eat, including human tuna, cat milk and special treats. But nothing seems to be doing the trick. :( :( :(

jenluckenbach
03-03-2003, 06:54 AM
Cats with a stuffy nose have a hard time eating. Nothing appeals to them if they cannot smell it. I have been told by several reliable sources that as long as a cat drinks, don't worry about food consumption for 3 days. After that, there can be serious problems. Keep trying other foods, the smellier the better. So keep track of the time that passes and watch that her symptoms do not turn for the worse. If in a couple of days, no improvement, please go to the vet.
(I have been through the cold season, and they usualy just need to sleep it off)

emily_the_spoiled
03-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Okay, I have been watching her closely and she seems to be sleeping much more (and more deeply). But then again humans are supposed to do the same thing when we have a cold. I am just keeping an eye on her and if she doesn't start to improve in the next 24 hours I am most definitely going to take her to the vet (even though I know she won't be happy about it).

Maybe Phred can send the clam juice over and that will encourage her to eat (if he hasn't already destroyed it as toxic waste :D )

smokey the elder
03-03-2003, 01:07 PM
LOL! Get better, Edwina! We had colds running thru here; they just ran their course.

slick
03-03-2003, 01:55 PM
Oh poor little Emily......it's not nice when we humans get the sniffles.....must be worse for you. Please try to eat something for your meowmie.

NoahsMommy
03-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Poor thing. Being sick is no fun! :(

Get better soon sweetie.

Miss Meow
03-03-2003, 03:11 PM
I hope Emily gets well soon :)

tatsxxx11
03-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Get well soon, sweet Emily! My boys both battled the sniffles last year, sneezing, runny eyes and all! No one feels like eating when they're all stuffed up!:( A quick trip to the white coats and some medicine did the trick. Hope you feel better very soon sweetie.

HayleyRosie
03-04-2003, 08:04 AM
I hope Emily feels better real soon.

emily_the_spoiled
03-04-2003, 09:47 AM
Emily doesn't seem to be getting any better.:( :( :( She still isn't eating anything & I think that she has decreased the amount she is drinking. I have an appointment this evening with my local vet. So please keep your fingers and paws crossed that it is nothing serious (we have had too much of that lately).

L. Wayne
03-04-2003, 09:52 AM
emily, please keep us updated on what the vet finds.

......wayne

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Oh no, please feel better soon little Emily. Good luck at the vet and please let us know what the verdict is.

krazyaboutkatz
03-04-2003, 11:03 PM
I sure hope you get well soon Emily and that it's not too serious. Please take your meds like a good girl so you can become well again. Prayers are on the way.

marysmerrycats
03-05-2003, 12:03 AM
I just saw this thread...how is Emily now? when Cassie had a cold, the vet told me to give her neosynephrine nose drops, to just tilt her head back a little and put one drop on her nose, between the nostrils, she said it would absorb into both sides.. that helped her breath better.

have you taken Emily to the vet? what did they say?

emily_the_spoiled
03-05-2003, 07:10 AM
Well I took Emily to the vet last night and she was definitely not a "happy camper" about it :) It turns out that she is congested and seems to have an URI. So the vet drew some blood work, gave her some sub-q fluids (for slight dehydration) and gave me some antibiotics. Now comes the "fun" part, usually I can just mix the antibiotics inwith her food. But because she isn't eating I will actually have to give her the pills until she starts eating again. She only lost a 1/2 pound, which was very good considering she hasn't eaten anything in 2.5 days.

Thank you for your good wishes and thoughts :)

Cheryl

batgirl1980
03-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Just saw this post after being away for a day and a half...
Glad to hear Emily is ok and is gonna get meds to make her all better now...

Good luck giving her the medication ;) Mozart REFUSES to let any pills go in his mouth. The vet tried to show us how once, and he then looked at me and said "ok, maybe we'll try crushing it into food" LOL...so i dunno what i'd do if Mo got sick and couldn't eat! :(

Keep us updated on Emily! Hope the meds start helping her eat soon!

mruffruff
03-05-2003, 01:22 PM
Ghost had a sinus infection recently and he's not good about medications either. I found myself mixing crushed pills in tiny hamburgers (about the size of a quarter) and cooking one every morning at 6 AM!

He still didn't get as much as he should have, but he's OK now.
Next time I'm going to try mixing the finely ground pills with something wet and drip it on his paws, etc. so he can lick it off.

Mary

03-05-2003, 01:37 PM
I hope sweet Emily gets better with those anti-biotics !!

jenluckenbach
03-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Hope Emily feels better soon. I am surprised that the vet didn't offer you liquid antibiotics. (easier). Good luck with the pills, Be confident!

Barbara
03-05-2003, 02:14 PM
Emily be a good kitty and take these meds, they are good for you:)
--but if she's like mine she will not listen to these words:(
Anyway I hope she'll be better soon.

ChrisH
03-05-2003, 03:18 PM
I am sorry to hear Emily is sick :( hope she is taking her meds and that she gets better real soon.

chris

emily_the_spoiled
03-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Well I have been using the "sweat shirt" method of administering the Baytril pills. I only need to do this until she starts eating again and then I can mix it in with her food. Unfortunately she is now recognizing the sweat shirt I have been using and runs away when she sees it. I am now "sneaking up" on her to get her into the sweat shirt but of course Tanner wants to "help" out his big sister (by bugging her):D :D

Thank you for all of your wishes.

03-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
Well I have been using the "sweat shirt" method of administering the Baytril pills.

ahum , may I ask something : what is the "sweat shirt method" ??
I am asking , just in case it might be useful in the future ..;

emily_the_spoiled
03-06-2003, 01:34 PM
There have been a few discussions on this site about the best way to administer meds to a cat (which can ben a REAL adventure). The "sweat shirt method" is where you take a sweat shirt (a T-shirt doesn't work) and put the cat in the sleeve until their head pops out at end of the sleeve. Then I turn Emily on her back and open her mouth, popping in the pill and a squirt of water. It actually looks pretty funny to seen just their head peeking out of the sleeve, but this method really works for me.:D :D

Barbara
03-06-2003, 02:15 PM
Seeing the sweatshirt and running...
When Filou needed antibiotic cream for his eyes it took 2 people -one to hold him and the other one to apply the cream- 2 times per day. As soon as he noticed in the morning both of us on one floor -he was gone.....

emily_the_spoiled
03-07-2003, 07:05 AM
Emily is finally eating again :D :D :D :D

She ate some food last night for the first time since Sunday, so she is definitely on the mend!!!!

HayleyRosie
03-07-2003, 07:31 AM
I'm so happy she is feeling better.

ChrisH
03-07-2003, 03:40 PM
I am so glad to read that Emily is eating:) and I hope she is feeling even better today!

Cataholic
03-07-2003, 04:56 PM
I just saw this thred, and I am happy to see Emily is getting better!

krazyaboutkatz
03-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah!:D I'm so glad to hear that Emily is eating again and feeling better. :) Get well soon Emily. :)

AdoreMyDogs
03-08-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
Emily is finally eating again :D :D :D :D

She ate some food last night for the first time since Sunday, so she is definitely on the mend!!!!

Oh wonderful news! I am so glad that she started eating again, and you must be so relieved. Good girl, Emily :)

kimlovescats
03-08-2003, 07:46 PM
That's good news that Emily was checked out and just needs some meds and extra TLC. One thing you might try .... which I am surprised the vet didn't mention... is to put some Nutri-Cal (a dietery suppliment full of nutrients) on her paws, she will lick it off and it will give her needed calories, and energy as well! I know from experience, this stuff can be a lifesaver! You can buy it at PetSmart .... also most vets sell it or something similar! Just ask for the dietery supplement in a tube for cats and dogs! Nutri-Cal

Good luck, and please keep us up to date!

Kim

Steffi N
03-08-2003, 09:54 PM
It's good to know that Emily is on the mend.