PDA

View Full Version : Your very first dog

tomkatzid
03-03-2003, 02:54 AM
I was wondering how many of you have had dogs since you were little kids. How old were you when you got the first one and what kind they were:) Lets hear some happy stories:D

LoudLou
03-03-2003, 03:15 AM
My Mother had her dog Ulyssa before I was born. She was a wire-haired terrier of some kind. She was with us until I think I was about 3 or 4 by then we had a few more dogs, Rascal (a Bassett mix), Peggity (Daschund mix) and a couple more I guess I can't remember....Then when I was about 6 my Mother started with the Bassett Hounds. So, I pretty much grew up with Bassetts.. Alfie, Archie, Bosley, Baxter & Sadie. We had them through the years. They all passed to the RB of old age. Archie & Sadie lived to be 17 and 14yrs. Which is REALLY old for a Bassett.

tomkatzid
03-03-2003, 11:15 AM
OK, mine(ours)was a little black poodle named Misty. For some reason my sister and I called her Milly. She was given to my parents by a breeder because her hind legs were bowed, and all her puppies were turning out that way too. She was the best dog ever. She put up with a houseful of chocolate point siamese cats(my mom bred siamese)and all the other things little kids put them through(dressing them up, etc). We got her when I was 4, she lived to be 17, so she was just always there, I still miss her! It started me on a lifetime of owning, loving, rescueing, and sharing my life with dogs :cool: .....tom

primabella
03-03-2003, 11:27 AM
mickey is my first dog (not counting primo) but rochetta, my mom's dog, was pretty close ;) she was a collie/spaniel mix and the daughter of my mom's first dog, rocky. she was a great, loyal friend. she was 18 when she passed on :(

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p116f53a6db26d64833716ba7f774edcb/fc932424.jpg

ramanth
03-03-2003, 11:56 AM
My parents had a Irish Setter, Rusty, when I was a child. He died in his sleep when I was 8 years old and only a few days before we were going to move from the city to the country.

I bet Rusty would have loved it.

We never got another dog after that and so really I grew up with cats. :)

Kia is my first dog. :)

Tina
03-03-2003, 01:10 PM
My parent's had a Collie when I was first born named Boots. I didn't really know him. But from stories he was a really great dog. When I was around 4 or 5 years old we had two dogs named Bear and Sandy. Bear was a Old English Sheep dog mix I believe and Sandy was a little mutt I'm not forsure what mix he was. They were both very great dogs. Sandy was my best friend he use to follow me around everywhere. Sandy died when I was about 13 or 14 years old of old age. And Bear I'm not forsure my parents didn't tell me. I had dogs all my life and I'm so happy we did. I loved them all. The one I remember the most is Boo he was a Black Chow. He died a couple years after I left home. I miss him so much. I wish I could have taken him with me when I moved out of my parent's house.

lovemyshiba
03-03-2003, 02:43 PM
When I was born, my parents had a black lab named Trapper. I don't remember him, but I have seen the pics. Then we had something named Beechnut--I don't remember what breed he was either, I just know I was terrified of him. Then, came Spike--he was the BEST--he was a beagle, and just loved to eat. He eventually became a fat beagle, and just loved to sit around with us all the time. We also had MacDuff, a golden retriever, who was nuts!! And Max, who my parents still have, he's 14, and he is a husky, golden mix--he pretty much just sleeps now.
I just got these 2 dogs of my own last year, because EVERY apartment in this town is NO PETS--besides for about 4 or 5 buildings!!

Cincy'sMom
03-03-2003, 03:39 PM
When I was born , my parents had two dogs, Mikey, a weimie/beagle mix and Simon a terrier mix. They were their babies!! Two year slater my brother was born, and both he and my mom were sick. My dad worked full time and was going to school so he was gone from 7am-12pm. Unfortuntly, as hard as they tried the dogs were just too much and had to be given away.

Me and Simon
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/pefaadfd483222b2dfef69f44b7733d1a/fd077b6e.jpg

Mickey and Simon:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid39/p9f36719cd5e602ea5b2343e30de150a8/fd077b66.jpg

Finally when I was 14, we convinced my parents to get Oreo, our beagle/poodle mix. She has been a handful at times, but she can be a sweetie when she wants :)

Oreo as a puppy:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid46/p7ade06da1668feeaf35ab38e2b7ca347/fcca1249.jpg
Oreo now:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p884a058cf19c5e34eb3da8c8bca1bffd/fcbafb37.jpg

ans since that time my parents have added three dogs to their lives, Dazzi, Taggert and Snoopy. Ralph and I of course have Sadie and Cincy. and my sister has Dakota, Destiny and Sierra(?) How has my brother managed to stay out of this whole dog thing?

Aspen and Misty
03-03-2003, 03:50 PM
I got my very own dog last year, Chewy, you can see him in my siggy.

Ash

Jessica12345
03-03-2003, 03:59 PM
my mom had a dog before i was born named muffy. We figured out though that he hated babies, so we had to give him away:( I was only a few months then though, and dont remember him.

Now i have had Jordan for 12 years, and he is the best puppy in the world! i love him more then anything! I just dont want him to pass.
You see, every year at the same time, he gets very sick. We dont know why, but he cant eat or move. We spend like $700 to get him fixed up, but it still comes back each year. :( :( :(
Im so scared because last year we almost had to put him down, but i begged my mom to wait and he got better again. It seems to get worse every year though.:(

Jewels is 1 year old, and is the cutest little thing on four paws! I love her to death! in fact she is sleeping on my lap right now.

:D Jess :D

Glacier
03-03-2003, 06:18 PM
Our first family dog was a white german shepherd, Tasha. She came with a house we bought just before I turned five. The owners were friends' of my parents. They were moving into town and didn't think Tasha would adjust well after being a country dog. She was about 6 already by then. When we arrived to move our stuff in, she refused to let us in the house. My dad had to go get a steak for her before she let us in the house. She became the kids' dog and protected my sister and I, like she knew what we weren't allowed to do. If we got too close to the road or the dugout, she would knock us over! We lost her to cancer eight years later.

My first dog, that was really mine, was Lady. She was an Irish Setter-Golden Retriever mix. Our neighbor was a Golden breeder and a stray bred his prize female--OOPS! So he sold the puppies for 20 bucks each. I got to pick one for my 7th birthday. She was my best friend for many years. During those hellish teen years, Lady heard everything!! She died at 15 from cancer. I still keep her picture up in my house.

andrea_NMAggie
03-04-2003, 01:19 AM
My first dog was Rambo, a yorkie mix. He was a "gift" for my 15th birthday. We had rambo for 12 wonderful years. I remember when I first got him, my mom had so many "rules". Like: the dog will not beg at the table, must be taken for a walk every day, brushed once a day, bathed once a week. Not to mention, he wasn't allowed on the sofa or in our bedrooms. Needless to say, Rambo wore my parents down...and within a year, he was sleeping at my parents feet, taste-testing our dinners before we even said Grace! Yes, Rambo was spoiled...but not rotten, just with lots of love. When I moved out after college, he got to stay with Mom & Dad...afterall, they had much more time to spend with him (and could afford to feed him the "quality" of food that he'd grown accustomed to. Rambo died last year, on Father's Day :( It was a very sad sad thing to hear. He waited for my parents to come home from their Saturday skydiving...and just before dinner went up and said his goodbyes to mom & dad. It still gets me choked up to tell the story. I don't think there will ever be a dog as awesome as my Rambo. I know he's having a great time in doggie heaven.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p405a441cecb4fd6599e09bc9504647e8/fc8e3c60.jpg

wolf_Q
03-04-2003, 01:46 AM
When I was first born we had a brittany spaniel named Lady and a schnauzer named Griff.

My parents were afraid Griff would hurt me, as my sister had made him mean by teasing him :mad: so they gave him away. But, they gave him to a family with another female schnauzer friend, so I bet he was happy. I've only seen pics, he was very cute.

Lady was killed....I guess she was tied up outside and we were gone and some kids threw firecrackers in her dog house. She freaked and jumped over the fence to the neighbors woodpile. When she tried to jump back the rope caught in the fence and she was hanged to death...while the kids watched I'm sure. :( I've seen pics of her also, and she was adorable...had a perfectly shaped heart on her forehead.

I've also heard bits and pieces of a cockapoo named Shadow, schnauzer named Dusty...and some other dogs I don't know much about. My family went through quite a few dogs before I was born.

But since I didn't know any of these dogs, my real first dog was Smokey. We got him when I was 2 years old. :) We got Reggie about 7 years later. Dogs seem to last *much* longer with me around. ;)

But technically Reggie and Smokey were family dogs, and Nebo's all mine, so you can count him as my first real dog if ya want! lol :)

slleipnir
03-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Rufus was my first. We got him when I was around 1 years old. I miss him :(

RubyMutt
03-04-2003, 12:58 PM
I got my first dog when I was 3 (I actually really wanted a kitty, but my mom was alergic). But I'm glad I got my puppy! She was a salt & pepper miniature schnauzer. I named her Muffy after a character on one of my fave tv shows at the time (I think it might have been called 'Today's Special'...) I grew up with Muff, she was like a sister to me. :) When I was 16 she was diagnosed with stomach cancer and eventually was PTS :( It was a very sad day, but she was suffering and she just wasn't herself anymore. I know she had a good life. It took me a couple years to even want another dog... I miss you Muff :)

boscibo
03-04-2003, 04:57 PM
I still have my first dog. We never had dogs when I was a kid, only cats. But my grandparents had a dog, Rugo (sheperd/husky mix), that I spent a lot of time with as a child. Rugo was the only dog I knew (apart from neighbor's or friend's dogs that I didn't get to know as well) until I got Bandit. I was 25 when I got Bandit, now I'm 37. Bandit is 12, his picture is in my sig. Gandy and Rocky are really my boyfriend's dogs, but I've been with him for 10 years so they are my dogs too now, they are 11 and 12 years old. So I still have all the dogs I've ever had!

Jessica12345
03-04-2003, 05:19 PM
i love these stories!:D

Karen
03-04-2003, 06:04 PM
My very first dog was Sheba. She was a full-grown stray, German Shepherd mix who "followed" my cousin home. Her family already had a dog, a big German Shepherd who did NOT like other dogs, so they called my parents. I was a toddler at the time, so forgive me! My parents brought us over to see her, us being my two older siblings and I. I, not knowing any better, toddled over to this big strange black (and tan) dog, and, before anyone could stop me, grabbed her tail with both hands and yanked! My dad says his heart about stopped and he was poised to dive between me and the dog before I got bitten or worse, but to the adults' surprise, Sheba just turned her head, growled a quick soft growl at me, and looked at my Dad as if to say "help me!" Well, that was that, Sheba was ours!

I don't remember life before Sheba. We grew up together, though she was already grown up! She was the best, smartest dog in the whole world! (Don't try to convince me otherwise.) She led her rounds of the neighborhood every morning - she was THE Alpha dog of the whole crew. She lifted her leg to mark each tree, and was spotted more than a mile away, on many occasions, with 5 or 6 other dogs trailing behind her!

She was a predator. She killed any animal that was smaller than she was, so all the cats in the neighborhood learned where all the trees were and climbed them quickly when she approached. The neighbors loved her - for a full ten years after her death, no one ever had woodchucks in their garden, that is how well she cleared them out of the woods that surrounded us. She only tackled a porcupine once though. After watching her, wedged between Dad's knees, while he and Grandpa carefully pulled quills out of her muzzle, I knew how bad porcupines could be - and so did she. She never attacked another ever again. Like I said, Sheba was smart.

Because she was marked like a Doberman, people thought she was vicious. Not so (unless you were a woodchuck) but it worked in our favor. If we kids were out in the yard by ourselves, Sheba stood guard over us. No stranger ever came more than halfway up the driveway (about leve with where our sandbox was). Sheba would bark once, then sit, dead-centered in the driveway. If they got "too close," she would growl, and they'd all run away! My mother once saw a salesperson walking backwards down the driveway, never taking his eyes off Sheba, when we kids weren't even outside, Sheba had just barked to come inside!

She was my best friend when my older siblings went to school, and always, actually. And when she died, when I was 12, the father who lived across the street, who had always said he "wasn't a dog person," cried as he wrapped Sheba's body in her favorite blanket, and when my Dad came home from work, they went together to bury her at my grandfather's farm.

Never will there be another dog as smart and as wise and as clever and as patient as my Sheba dog!

Logan
03-04-2003, 06:10 PM
My parents had three dogs when I was born. They were Sput (a Boston Terrier), Belle (a pointer), and Lady (an English setter). The first dog that I call "mine" (and he was really my mom's dream dog, but I loved him dearly) was Ben, an English Bulldog that we got as a puppy. Boy was he sweet! I think I was around 10-11 years old when he came to be ours. I remember entering him in the city dog show. It was held in the parking lot of a strip shopping center. Ben won "Best in Show", but when they called out his name, he was in the car with his nose stuck to the air conditioning vent!!! Hehehe!!! It was so hot and Bulldogs do not handle the heat very well. He died when I was in college. One day, I'll have another one.

Twisterdog
03-04-2003, 09:30 PM
My first dog was a standard dachshund named Drawstring. I got him when I was four years old.

My brother ... who was much older than I was ... told one of his friends, "If you ever come across a good dog, let me know, I'd like to get a dog for Shanna." So, his friend comes over one day, with this six week old puppy in his shirt pocket. My brother said, "Ummm, no. I meant a German shepherd or something like that." About that time, I came into the room and saw the puppy and it was all over. :D

He got his name because my mom had one of those ugly 70's doorstops .... a soda pop bottle filled with sand, with a crocheted poodle body around it. (Remember those? Eeek!) Anyway, the poodle's head was held onto the bottle with a drawstring, and I asked her what it was called. When she told me, I said, "That's what I want to name the puppy." Who knows ... I was four years old!

Kfamr
03-04-2003, 10:11 PM
Simba is *my* first real dog.., beside all of the other neighbor dogs i took care of. I was hmmm... like 11 when i got him in '98. He's a german shepherd pit bull mix of 5 years old. We got him when he was around 8 months old. He's my life and i have no idea what life is without him. He's my love and i'd do anyhting to make sure he is safe....;)

zippy-kat
03-04-2003, 10:18 PM
I like the name Drawstring! VERY unique! :D

This was my first dog, ButterScotch....
http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2002/March/10.jpg

We rescued her when I was 3 and she lived with us for 15 years! {{She was the bestest!}} Here's here link to fame ;) DOTD March 10, 2002 (http://dogoftheday.com/archive/2002/March/10.html)

Now we have Sara the clown (aka boxer)!

COCatMama
03-05-2003, 12:45 AM
sniff sniff sniff
darnit, why'd I look in this thread? ;)

My first dog was Blackie, a Heinz 57 farm mutt with some BD in him somewhere. I had been begging my mom for a dog for YEARS so when we finally moved somewhere where we could have one, she knew some ppl on a farm that had puppies! We drove there, and it was on/near my birthday and she said she had to pick up some 'papers'. I remember whining about it, heh heh. When we pulled up to the house there was puppies and dogs and cats galore, I remember I was playing with some puppy and then the begging ensued "OOH PLEASE MUM! CAN'T I HAVE HIM!?!?!?!?' She said no and i started to bawl! then she said 'I picked THIS one' and there was Blackie, snoozing in a cardboard box with a bunch of kittens! I remember the drive home, with him in my lap and he was a black ball of fuzz with a white stripe on his nose and four white feet and a white tip on his tail and i thought he was the most beautiful thing I'd ever laid eyes on :) (I'm bawling as I am I writing this btw)

We got him home and of course i had to show him off to the other kids and they asked me 'where did you get the skunk from?' hahah!!! too cute.
my mom made me go take a shower *ggrrr* and my friend Mike came over and i remember to this day walking up the stairs and looking back down and seeing mike on the floor with Blackie in his lap.

I had named Blackie in the car (hey, I was 10 and he was mostly black).

He was my best friend for 14 years and I will miss him until the day I die. My mom still has his ashes, and I have pics of him up still, 5 years after I had to have him euthanized, I found him having a doggie 'stroke' and he was beyond help. :(.

He was a very beautiful dog for a Heinz 57, glossy, long, thick black fur and bright yellow eyes.

Now I have Juneau, and he has filled the hole that Blackie left in my heart, but there will never be another "Blackie" :)

Btw, my mom loved Blackie alot too, we still talk about him

RIP Blackie, 1984-1998

http://www.lalania.com/BlackieBall.jpg

iceyshiver21
03-05-2003, 08:41 AM
I've had dogs since I was born but when I was two, my mom and me shared a dog, named Lady, she was a Pom. Mix who looked kinda like a fox.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pf44895ea76fd13c7afdea3e39600ab73/fc8cba6f.jpg
:( kinda big, sorry bout that.

Lady decided to pick a fight with a rotwieler mommy next door when she got loose, and she lost the fight. Sadly they didnt tell us that their dog had killed lady until a month after we had been searching. But I remeber the how loving and great of a dog she was. She would have been 13 two weeks ago.

The Rotty's name is Dutchess, I now own her, and Her husband Buck the Labrador, and at one time I owned Toby one of the pups Dutchess had when she was protecting her pups from Lady, LONG story)

**Now I own Buck, Bishop, Dutchess, Annie, and Odie. All the dogs are **Mine** My parents just buy the dog food, and I buy the dog equitpment and pay the vet bills. I do the same with my cats, rats, and horse.

lizbud
03-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Although we had "family" dogs when my children were growing
up, they "belonged" to the whole family, especially the kids. :)
MY very first dog (to keep)was Buddy, my RB Angel.
Just wanted to say that Lalania's post about her dog Blackie
was about the sweetest story I've ever seen her post on PT.
He looks beautiful, just as she described him in her story.:)

iceyshiver21
03-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by lizbud
Although we had "family" dogs when my children were growing
up, they "belonged" to the whole family, especially the kids. :)
MY very first dog (to keep)was Buddy, my RB Angel.
Just wanted to say that Lalania's post about her dog Blackie
was about the sweetest story I've ever seen her post on PT.
He looks beautiful, just as she described him in her story.:)

I agree

Sudilar
03-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Lalania, that was beautiful. Blackie was striking!!!!

Since I have severe asthma with allergies, my childhood family was not able to be owned by a dog.
After I was married a few years, we thought we would try and see if my asthma could be worked out. My first dog was a gorgeous GSD (German line) named Wolfgang. I went through heck with my asthma, but would not give him up (hospital, daily wheezing, etc). I was given shots and meds and finally, I was able to control my asthma enough to actually feel really good as long as I take my meds. We had him before my kids came along. People said to be careful because he might be jealous and hurt the babies. HAH!! He LOVED my kids, especially my son. He was their guardian, their protector, their champion!! My love for GSDs originated with Wolf. He was my heartdog. He was perfect even though he had hip dysplasia (surgically repaired). He lived for ten years and died in his sleep (after being told 6 months earlier to put him down because he was sick, but he snapped out of it.) I will never, ever forget him.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p4479ae8d7153a85e1f07d3358eb37b8e/fc8c891b.jpg

CountryWolf07
03-05-2003, 01:06 PM
My very first dog was Benny, he was a yellow labrador/beagle mix - my parents got him at the shelter when he was 8 weeks old - 2 years before I was born, so he was around.. almost 1/2 of my life, til' he was 16, and I was 14, and we had to put him to sleep, that really torn me so hard, but now I have two, which y'all know - Anna and Rosie. So basically I've been around dogs all my life and I love dogs, I can't live w/out them at all :) Anyway I miss Benny like crazy, he was my best friend and he was always there for me..

wolfsoul
03-05-2003, 10:15 PM
my first dog was a big fluffly black newfoundland named bear...i dont remember him well, cuz i was only three, but i remember always cuddling with him and giving big "bear" hugs :rolleyes:

tomkatzid
03-10-2003, 03:19 PM
This picture is of me at two years old with my Grandpa's dog, on their farm in Kansas. Her name was Lady.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p0dce5b74baab4dc718ac637c756bbf0b/fc8601ac.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/pe6e7ed3390fee27f6f96a178dc8aa052/fc85fcbb.jpg

Then at 5 my parents got me a dog that I named "Mike". Not sure why, I was a kid;) Mike only lived with us one day. He peed on the hardwood floor and my Mom gave him away the next morning. The good news was she gave him to her Mom,(in Oregon where we lived) so I got to see him all the time. He lived a long and happy life. And, they didn't even change his name:)

"My" very first dog was Tonee(RB). A beautiful cocker. My soul dog:D I loved her more than anything. She really was the love of my life. I miss her every day. She was 16 when she passed.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid50/p6b79d552617dd26a23540094cbd7b1f3/fcaa9d28.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p341ca69310c384d9bc0e8913b11741ae/fc85f9e1.jpg

I started this thread but it took me all this time to find the pictures of lady:p

ParNone
03-10-2003, 04:07 PM
Love the black and white pics, tomkatz.

My first dog was a wirehaired fox terrier named Mazie. My parents
bought her when I was 5, because a Cat snatched my Easter
Rabbit from me, while I was playing with him. I didn't see the
eventual carnage, but even my 5 year old brain comprehended
Blackie's ultimate fate. I was so upset about it, to appease me,
my parent's decided to get a lil' more sturdy of a companion,
hence the terrier.

She eventually got ran over by a car though. My friend accidently
let her out of the gate. I saw it happen, but wasn't fast enough
to catch up with her. She'd gotten out before and always came
home, but wasn't to be this time. We had 2 other dogs while
I was growing up that didn't fare much better. Family
decisions that I had no say so in, so I'll spare ya'll the details.

I've a different viewpoint of dogs than my family, so the dogs I
got once I was out on my own are still with me. Murph was my
first. I got him 2 wks after moving into my own house. He's
12 and a half now. I got Maddie 6 mos later, so she's 12 now.
And finally Oz, I got 6 mos ago.

Par...

oodlesofpoodles
03-10-2003, 04:25 PM
My mother had a collie named Lad before I was born, and when we got transfered to Europe, Lad couldn't go, they didnt think he would make it thur the trip, he went to live on my aunts farm, He was old. 10yrs He was 13yr when he passed. While in Europe my mother got us a st. poodle he was 4yr Someone tranfering back to the states and didn't want to pay for him to travel we had him till he was 15yr and he flew back to the states with us. Chi-chi a chihuahua and Tinker a mini poodle came to live with us when i was twelve, Midnight the st poodle just loved them Tinker passed at 18yrs and Chi-chi lived to be 21yr. I lost her the day after my mothers funeral. Dogs have always been in my life and always will. I dont think I could come home to a empty house. Dogs and yes even cats add life to house they make it a HOME and any other pet that someone might choose. :) :) :) :) :)

RogueFerret
03-10-2003, 07:40 PM
These stories are wonderful.:)

My dad called before he left work one day and told me he had a surprise. He came in the door and I didn't see anything in his hands. I asked him what the surprise was and a little white puppy poked his nose out of my dad's shirt pocket. I squealed with joy! I named the little spitz and poodle mix 'Casper' because he was all white like Casper the ghost.

Casper was instantly my best friend. He let me dress him up in doll clothes and we played all day. When my brother was born, I had some one to complain to about all the crying and the smelly baby. When my brother got older, he was his best freind too. I trained Casper how to beg for treats and my brother played catch with him.

When I was a teenager, Casper listened to me about who I had a crush on and how unfair life was.

Casper died a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 20. He just fell asleep on his bed and never woke up. I cried for months.:(

The first dog I've ever owned is Valentine. She wandered onto the property as a puppy seven years ago and she's been my baby ever since. She's chow and who knows what else.http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p423b37d72ac233b5727dadd9af06fbf5/fc881be5.jpg

oodlesofpoodles
03-10-2003, 10:08 PM
All these stories are wonderful and sad, but do bring up wonderful memories that we had in childhood with our beloved pets! a:) Everyone keep the stories coming. I have cried :( and smiled:) at all the stories.