PDA

View Full Version : I'm stayin right here in town!

Andie
03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
As I've said Dustin and I are looking for a place to move. Well he suggested the other day we try Sikeston (a town about 25 miles north) because he works at their Wal - Mart (and I'm trying to get a job there). I was all for it because it is less miles we would have to drive for work and Bull and Isis's vet is there. (30 minutes to get to the vet is kinda silly) Well, I read this this morning and I aint leaving town now!

The highlighted portions are the proposed additions. Should you like a statement added to the complaints, feel free to email me and I will forward your concerns to the Public Works Director and the Animal Control Officer. They will share this information with the City Council at the meeting.

AKC's legislation department has been sent a copy of the ordinance. I have the complete ordinance, and will be happy to forward to anyone who wishes to read it. I have copied the portion pertaining to "Dangerous Dogs":
Chapter 6.40 DANGEROUS DOGS Sections:
6.40.005 Generally
6.40.010 Leash and Muzzle
6.40.020 Confinement
6.40.030 Confinement Indoors
6.40.040 Signs
6.40.050 Insurance
6.40.060 Registration Requirements
6.40.070 Reporting Requirements
6.40.080 Irrefutable Presumptions
6.40.090 Failure to Comply
6.40.100 Pit Bull Dog - Defined
6.40.110 Dangerous Dog - Defined
6.40.120 Rottweiler - Defined
6.40.130 Chow - Defined
6.40.140 Mastiff - Defined
6.40.150 Violations and Penalties

6.40.005 Generally.
The keeping of Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, Chows, Mastiff, or any dangerous dog shall be subject to the following standards.

6.40.010 Leash and Muzzle.
No person shall permit a Pit Bull dog, Rottweiler, Chow, Mastiff or any dangerous dog to go outside its kennel or pen unless such dog is securely leashed with a leash no longer than four (4) feet in length. No person shall permit such dogs to be kept on a chain, rope or other type of leash outside its kennel or pen unless a person is in physical control of the leash. Such dogs may not be leashed to inanimate objects such as trees, posts, building, etc. In addition, a muzzling device sufficient to prevent such dog from biting persons or other animals must muzzle all such dogs on a leash outside the animal's kennel. 6.40.020 Confinement. All such dogs shall be securely confined indoors or in a secure enclosed and locked pen or kennel, except when leashed and muzzled as above provided. Such pen, kennel or structure must have secure sides and a secure top attached to its sides. All structures used to confine such dogs must be locked with a key or combination lock when such animals are within the structure. Such structures must have a secure bottom or floor attached to the sides of the pen or the sides of the pen must be embedded in the ground no less than two (2) feet. All structures erected to house such dogs must comply with all zoning and building regulations of the city. All such structures must be adequately lighted and ventilated and kept in a clean and sanitary condition.

6.40.030 Confinement Indoors.
No such dog may be kept on a porch, patio or in any part of a house or structure that would allow the dog to exit such building on its own volition. In addition, no such animal may be kept in a house or structure when the windows are open or when screen windows or screen doors are the only obstacle preventing the dog from exiting the structure.

6.40.040 Signs.
All owners, keepers or harborers of such dogs within the City shall within sixty (60) days of the effective date of the Ordinance display in a prominent place on their premises a sign easily readable by the public using the words "Beware of Dog". In addition, a similar sign is required to be posted on the kennel or pen of such animal.

6.40.050 Insurance.
All owners, keepers or harborers of such dogs must within sixty (60) days of the effective date of this Ordinance provide proof to the Sikeston City Clerk or Collector of homeowners or renters liability insurance. Such insurance policy shall provide that no cancellation of the policy will be made unless ten (10) days written notice is first given to the Sikeston City Clerk or Collector. 6.40.060 Registration Requirements. All owners, keepers or harborers of Pit Bull dogs, Rottweilers, Chows, Mastiff or dangerous dogs must within sixty (60) days of the effective date of this Ordinance provide to the City Clerk or Collector or designee two color photographs of the said dog clearly showing the color and approximate size of the animal. Further, they shall register the dog with the City Clerk or Collector or designee providing the name of the dog, the address where the dog shall be maintained and execute an acknowledgement of receipt of a copy of this Ordinance.

6.40.070 Reporting Requirements. All owners, keepers or harborers of Pit Bull dogs, Rottweilers, Chows, Mastiff or dangerous dogs must within ten (10) days of the incident, report the following information in writing to the Sikeston City Clerk or Collector or designee as required herein after:
A. The removal from the City or death of such dog.
B. The birth of offspring of such dog.
C. The new address of Pit Bull dog, Rottweiler, Chow, Mastiff or other dangerous dog owner, should the owner move within the corporate City limits.

6.40.080 Irrefutable Presumptions.
There shall be an irrefutable presumption that any dog registered with the City as a Pit Bull dog, Rottweiler, Chow, Mastiff or dangerous dog is in fact subject to the requirements of this Section.

6.40.090 Failure to Comply.
It shall be unlawful for the owner, keeper or harborer of a Pit Bull dog, Rottweiler, Chow, Mastiff or dangerous dog as defined in this Section to fail to register that dog with the City of Sikeston as required by this Ordinance or for such an owner, keeper or harborer of such a dog to fail to comply with the requirements and conditions set forth in this Ordinance. Any dog found to be the subject of a violation of this Ordinance shall be subject to immediate seizure and impoundment.

6.40.100 Pit Bull Dog - Defined.
A. The Bull Terrier breed of dog.
B. Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed of dog.
C. The American Pit Bull Terrier breed of dog.
D. The American Staffordshire Terrier breed of dog.
E. Dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as Pit Bull, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull Terriers.
F. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominately of the breeds of Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, any other breed commonly know as Pit Bulls, Pit Bull dogs or Pit Bull Terriers, or a combination of any of these breeds.

6.40.110 Dangerous Dog - Defined.
A. Any dog which, according to the records of the appropriate authority, has inflicted severe injury on a human being without provocation on public property; or
B. Any dog which, according to the records of the appropriate authority, has killed a domestic animal without provocation while off the owner's property; or
C. Any dog owned or harbored primarily or in part for the purpose of dog fighting or any dog trained for dog fighting; or
D. Any dog, not owned by a governmental or law enforcement entity, used primarily to guard public or private property; or
E. Any dog with a known propensity, tendency or disposition to attack unprovoked, to cause injury, or to otherwise threaten the safety of human beings or domestic animals; or
F. Any dog which, when provoked, chases or approaches a person upon the streets, sidewalks or any public or private property in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack; or
G. Any dog which, on three (3) separate occasions within a twelve (12) month period has been observed being unrestrained or uncontrolled off its owner's premises by animal control or has been impounded by appropriate authority for being unrestrained or uncontrolled off its owner's premises.

6.40.120 Rottweiler Dog - Defined.
A. The Rottweiler breed of dog.
B. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breed of Rottweiler or any dog commonly known or referred to as a Rottweiler Bull Terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds.
C. Dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as a Rottweiler Bull Terrier, or a combination of any of these breeds.

6.40.130 Chow Dog - Defined.
A. The Chow breed of dog.
B. Any dog, which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breed of Chow or any dog commonly known or referred to as a Chow.
C. Dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as a Chow or any dog commonly known or referred to as a Chow.

6.40.140 Mastiff Dog - Defined.
A. The Mastiff breed of dog.
B. Any dog which has the appearance and characteristics of being predominantly of the breed of Mastiff or any dog commonly known or referred to as a Mastiff.
C. Dog of mixed breed or of other breeds than above listed which breed or mixed breed is known as a Mastiff or any dog commonly known or referred to as a Mastiff.

6.40.150 Violations and Penalties.
Any person violating or permitting the violation of the provisions of this ordinance shall upon conviction in Municipal Court be fined the sum of not less than fifty dollars ($50) and not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00). In addition to the fine imposed, the Court may sentence the defendant to imprisonment in jail for a period not to exceed thirty (30) days. In addition, the Court shall order the registration of the subject Pit Bull, Rottweiler, Chow, Mastiff or dangerous dog revoked and the dog removed from the City. Should the defendant refuse to remove the dog from the City, the Municipal Court Judge shall find the defendant owner in contempt and order the immediate confiscation and impoundment of the animal. Each day that a violation of this Ordinance continues shall be deemed a separate offense; in addition to the expenses, including shelter, food, handling, veterinary care and testimony necessitated by the enforcement of this Ordinance, as stated in Section 6.20.030.

[email protected]

moosmom
03-02-2003, 11:09 AM
Andie,

It's really too bad that those breeds of dogs have such bad reps. And it's not their fault either. The owners are the ones who mold the dog's behavior. In CT, most insurance companies won't even insure people who have those breeds of dogs. Talk about discrimination!

When I was looking for a place to live in Michigan, almost all apartment complexes that allow cats, REQUIRE them to be declawed :eek: :eek:! They even have it in the lease that you provide a declaw certificate. I was repulsed by it. I was VERY fortunate to find a landlord that loves cats and allows me to have them with me without any strings attached or pet deposit. MOST landlords aren't that understanding.

I don't blame you for staying where you are.

COCatMama
03-02-2003, 11:10 AM
Holy......Macaroni!!!! Dog Nazis! SHEESH
I think those HUMANS should be kept on a leash or in a pen and have to wear a muzzle!!!!!!

COCatMama
03-02-2003, 11:13 AM
moosmom : good heavens!! Declawing is cruel and IMO, wrong! I know of vets that will NOT declaw a cat. I am sooooo sick of anti-pet people, and rules!!!!

Dakota's Mommy
03-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Okay, Dakota, being a Great Dane, is commonly known as a German Mastiff. So, that means that she would be included. However, I don't agree with that. She's a big goofy baby. She wouldn't hurt nobody. Some of these dogs are perfectly fine, and I think Dakota is one of them. I trust her out in our front area without a leash more than I trust Destiny just but we have had her longer and had more of a chance to train her that way. I don't know, I think this article is BS and I'm amazed at some people once again!

mugsy
03-03-2003, 12:59 PM
Here's my letter to these morons

Hello,

My name is Molly Kendall and I live in Fort Wayne, IN. I am disgusted by your policy on supposed dangerous breeds of dogs. There is no such thing as a "dangerous" breed...there ARE dangerous and stupid owners. What you are doing is nothing short of discriminatory. Please know that I will never even consider visiting or moving to your town because of this policy. Also be aware that this policy has been posted on a webpage that is visited by animal lovers from all over the world and your narrow minded policy gives your town the same reputation.

Thank you

Molly A. Kendall

ramanth
03-03-2003, 02:36 PM
You get em Mugsy! :D

I LOTHE laws like that. I'm afraid of moving because there is NO WAY I'm declawing Zam.

I had a hard enough time trying to find an apartment that took dogs over 20 lbs. :rolleyes:

Tanya&Fritz
03-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Unbelievable :mad: :mad: :mad:

Thank God my "killer Poodle" isn't on any lists :D :D :D j/k

lovemyshiba
03-03-2003, 02:56 PM
That is ridiculous, and discriminatory.
I had such a hard time finding an apartment where I could have a dog or 2, and now towns do this??
What is wrong with them??

Andie
03-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Dakota's Mommy
Okay, Dakota, being a Great Dane, is commonly known as a German Mastiff. So, that means that she would be included. However, I don't agree with that. She's a big goofy baby. She wouldn't hurt nobody. Some of these dogs are perfectly fine, and I think Dakota is one of them. I trust her out in our front area without a leash more than I trust Destiny just but we have had her longer and had more of a chance to train her that way. I don't know, I think this article is BS and I'm amazed at some people once again!

Bull is the same way, hes just a big goofball! I mean looks at this:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/pe212b329eb4d43ce8c17aeb374824e3b/fd3a2cd5.jpg
How can you call that dangerous?!

There was an article the other day where the AC officer was talking about how he's having trouble with drug dealers and these dogs. Which just means that he is lumping the good owners in with the bad. When that was brought to his attention, he came back with "I probably won't fine a good owner for ignoring this because I myself have a Chow." Excuse me! Why have a law if peeople are allowed to ignore it?

Good news is we think we might have found a house here in town! We go to meet with the realtor Wed. to veiw the inside.