PDA

View Full Version : Thank doG for tags!!

Glacier
03-01-2003, 10:22 PM
We almost had a diaster here this morning! I was harnessing dogs, getting ready to head out for a little sled ride. My big Malamute, Heyoka, doesn't pull. He refuses to, but he likes to run along side of the team. His recall is so amazing I swearsometimes he's a golden retriever. I just got Raven and Franklin hooked up and am walking over to the gangline with Earle when Pingo goes flying by me--dragging 10 feet of aircraft cable behind her!!
Earle blows a gasket and rips his harness out of my hand and off he goes with Pingo. I've only had Pingo for a couple months and she's never been loose in her life! Heyoka meanders down the road after them and in all the chaos, Franklin slips his harness and off he goes too! My hubby isn't home and has taken our only vehicle to town with him. THe skidoo won't start!!! ARGH!!

Heyoka didn't go much past the end the of the driveway before he came back. Pingo made a hard left and headed for her old owners place with Franklin and Earle right behind her. So I call her former owner and leave a message to bring her home if she shows up there. I call my husband and tell him to
bring my truck home. He shows up 20 minutes later with his 10 tonne water truck. How am I supposed to use that thing to chase dogs?? Just before he arrived, Pingo decided she liked it better here anyway and came back on her own.

As I am standing in the driveway about to loose my mind, a neighbor I have never met drives up with Earle and Franklin in her truck. I have no idea how she caught Franklin as he is afraid of strangers, but I am eternally grateful that she did!! They were just coming off the trail we run on all the time. She thought they were going to head for the highway--we live 5 miles from the highway, they had run quite a way already! She got their
names and addresses off the tags on their collars. .....The tags my husband says I am anal about..Somewhere in this yard there is a huge pile of lost tags. I am constantly replacing them. The guy at the store doesn't even ask for my address anymore, just which dog! I will continue spending 10 bucks a tag from now on!!! My dogs are all microchipped too, but their tags got them home in half an hour today!

delidog
03-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Oh your heart must have been in your throat!!!!!

you are soooooo right though....the better we I.D. our pets...the more likely someone will help....

as you said so eloquenly i might add..

"Thank DOG for TAGS!!!!";)

I am so glad that everyone is home safe and sound....and you are resting right now!!!!!;)

sabies
03-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Wow, what a day. Glad everyone is home safe. I agree, tags with a name address and number are important!

lovemyshiba
03-02-2003, 10:18 AM
I'm so glad to hear that everyone is home!
What an adventure they took off on.

KYS
03-02-2003, 10:21 AM
I am so glad everyone is safe at home.
What a scare.

joycenalex
03-02-2003, 07:40 PM
one of the worst days of my life happened when alex slipped out of my old apartment, by opening the sliding screen door by himself and walked the 3 blocks to the park. i didn't discover he was gone for nearly an hour.:eek: i have my number and the vets number on 2 seperate tags, and REWARD in largest letters. the guy who caught alex called the vet and called me. the vet had sent one of her techs to pick him up by the time i found where alex was. my stomach still clenches at the thought of his wandering; what would have happened to an epileptic, regular medicine needing dog i cannot bear to imagine. those tags are worth every penny and more

ramanth
03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
WHEW!!! I'm SO glad they are all home safe!

Kia did the running off routine once on my dad. He even jumped in the truck and tried following her (she was flying thru the cornfield parallel to the road). But then she turned away from the road and dissapeared into the woods. He stopped and called and called and she just wouldn't come back.

Had my dad worried sick and me too as I was at work and couldn't get home. He had to leave for work and left mom a note.

Mom came home shortly after and found her sitting on the deck wondering where everyone was. :rolleyes: