PDA

View Full Version : "0" posts

iceyshiver21
03-01-2003, 06:22 PM
I was looking through the members list, and I see alot of people with "0" posts that signed up and left. I found that rather annoying and it made my searching through the members harder, and somewhere, they have to be taking up space, could they be deleted??? Anyone else dislike this?

Paul
03-01-2003, 06:25 PM
   I should delete the members who signed up and never posted nor visited in months.

Paul

Freckles
03-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I like that idea.

iceyshiver21
03-01-2003, 06:46 PM
yes, thanks Paul, that would be great, because alot of the good names are taken too.

Nomilynn
03-01-2003, 08:11 PM
Paul - I think that's a great idea. Also, I don't know if there is software that does this, but if new members don't post within a month of signing up they would automatically be deleted? It would be less work for you and Karen, and it's not like someone needs to be "logged in" to read all the info on here. I find it really irritating too.. at least three new people sign up a day it seems, and none of them ever post.

Miss Meow
03-01-2003, 08:18 PM
One thing I find curious is the members who sign up under several very similar names but never post. Then all their user names come up on the birthday list - there was one a few days ago with three logins!

iceyshiver21
03-01-2003, 08:28 PM
Its dumb when they do that

Nomilynn
03-01-2003, 08:58 PM
I just did a search.. there are like 2000 members that have never posted, not to mention hundreds and hundreds who only posted a few times and then just quit.

Paul, if you decide you want to go through the members list and delete those who never post or who haven't posted in a to-be-determined amount of time and you would like some help, let me know what to do and I will. Unless there is some way you can use the software (and likely there is but I don't know it), that's a LOT of footwork.

Rachel
03-01-2003, 09:14 PM
I agree, those who never post should be deleted after a reasonable length of time. They really shouldn't be *taking up names* that others may want to use.

marysmerrycats
03-01-2003, 09:48 PM
the memebers that don't post do not bother me, I don't care, but I do find it strange that they join, especially with more than one name and then don't post. maybe alot of kids do that?

Paul
03-01-2003, 10:04 PM
   On every system I know of a lot of people register but never use their account. There are a lot of reasons. Most systems remove the nonusers in a timely fashion. There is a feature which should remove the users automatically. However, after hearing of another site that uses the same software having major problems, I have not used it on Pet Talk. I will backup the Pet Talk database then try it. I will tell you when I am ready to try it.

Paul

03-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
One thing I find curious is the members who sign up under several very similar names but never post. Then all their user names come up on the birthday list - there was one a few days ago with three logins!

I am glad something will be done about ! Every day I check out the names on the birthday list , and it always makes me feel annoyed when I see the word "never" appear on the number of their posts !!:)
Just be careful not to delete anyone that is taking a break ; I would send a pm to the persons you doubt about , and if they o not reply , you can delete them too .

Good luck with this "spring-"cleaning ;) ;)

HoRsELUvR
03-02-2003, 08:58 AM
I agree.Sometimes I see people on the birthday list who's names I don't recognize at all because they never post.If they dont post here then they probably won't anytime soon because with this website it seems to be that either you're hooked or you're not.:)

Randi
03-02-2003, 09:13 AM
I agree with the rest. I think if members don't post at all, you may as well delete them after a certain amount of time from the joining date - say 3 months.

In the year 2001 alone, more than 700 members have joined, but never posted. :(

I can imagine others would like to use some of the names these members have occupied - and for the rest of us, it may be quicker to do a search. :)

A good spring cleaning on Pet Talk! :D

iceyshiver21
03-02-2003, 09:18 AM
cuz i know when I signed up, i kinda was gonna try and get the name cats&dogs, but it was taken by someone who never posted, so i went to my name for everything, iceyshiver21

*LabLoverKEB*
03-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Paul, that would be a great idea for you to delete all those users who haven't posted at all! That would be wonderful. Thanks again for all the hard work you and Karen put into to make Pet Talk the best!:) ;)

iceyshiver21
03-02-2003, 10:34 AM
Yes, I dont know how we all could thank you enough.

gini
03-02-2003, 11:01 AM
I agree that people who have joined but never post should be deleted after a reasonable length of time. And for those who sign on under two or three different names, I only noticed it under birthdays. I thought, what do we have here, triplets?
And then I realized...........

Also, isn't it a shame that we don't hear more from the owners of the various Pets of the Day? Many times we have questions or would love to see the pet all grown up.

Dakota's Mommy
03-03-2003, 10:12 AM
I know my husband was one of the ones who signed up and never posted because for some reason, we can't seem to sign on to Pet Talk from our home computer. It would let us sign up, but it wouldn't let us post. So, I post from work, and he hasn't gotten to post yet! Hopefully we'll figure out that problem soon!

gini
03-03-2003, 10:31 AM
Of all the birthdays today......eight have never posted!

I am not sure why people bother to become a member!

Logan
03-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Good luck with this endeavor, Paul. I think it is probably good to do a "cleanup" periodically. In fact, over at MSN, in the Golden Retriever community, we just did it. We went from over 4000 members to around 1100 by deleting people who had joined and never posted or had not posted in over a year. We first did a "mass mailing" to all the members (many of the email addresses weren't even valid anymore), then posted a warning on the general message board, asking those who wanted to stay members, but hadn't been posting, to please at least respond to that message to update their membership. We waited over a month to start cleaning up. And the result has been very positive, actually, because people who hadn't posted in a long time, or had never posted, are actually starting to post! Perhaps they just needed a little reminder. We have a lot of "new", old members participating again! And since it is an open community, like this one, people can always rejoin when and if they want to start participating, or they can just "lurk" and read if that's what they prefer.

Former User
03-03-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by gini
I am not sure why people bother to become a member!

Yup, why join if you don't plan on posting? :confused:

Jessica12345
03-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Casper & Kitty

Yup, why join if you don't plan on posting? :confused:

exactly. it REALLY bugs me!:mad: :rolleyes: of course i get really mad easy but sometimes i go to their webpages and i really want to talk to them about their adorible pets!:D plus they are missing out on so much:)

iceyshiver21
03-06-2003, 05:49 PM
ok i just did a quick count, we have 2,141 members that have 0 posts. 825 members that have one post.

***Sorry to bring this up again but im bored.

Randi
03-07-2003, 06:27 AM
If the cero posters were deleted, we would have 4052 members at this moment - and we could celebrate when reaching 5000 members again. :eek: :D

Randi
06-11-2004, 10:17 AM
... because, at the moment there are about 3.770 members who has NEVER posted!!

Do you think it's time for another clean-up? I do! ;)

joanofark
06-11-2004, 10:22 AM
I saw that too! Why do people join and don't post! I think it is annoying!

DJFyrewolf36
06-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Sheesh, I posted the day I signed up!!! And Im still babling...all those users are just taking up space and good SNs, I agree a clean up is a good idea!

catlover4ever
06-11-2004, 11:04 AM
Well, I can say that when I first found PT I signed up and it said that a email was being sent...well I used my work email and the websweeper kept blocking the emails that enabled me to sign up. I ended up with a few user names but I let Karen know about it as soon as I could so the user names could be opened back up for anyone wanting them.

Now as you can all see...I'm almost a blabber mouth. All the glitches have been worked out.

davidpizzica
06-12-2004, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by DJFyrewolf36
Sheesh, I posted the day I signed up!!! And Im still babling...all those users are just taking up space and good SNs, I agree a clean up is a good idea! We can't get her to shut up! Keep babbling, will ya?!

smokey the elder
06-12-2004, 08:09 AM
I lurked for over a year because I didn't want to post from work (the company in question didn't mind you viewing web sites, but one had to be careful about loggin on to them.) I think it would be polite for people to, if they decide not to take part, to email Paul and let him know that they can be "unregistered". (...is that even a word?:confused: )

catnapper
06-12-2004, 08:26 AM
This is a great idea! I am one of those with numerous login names :o --- when I was new, for some reason, the link wasn't working to validate my account under the new name. Paul & Karen, please feel free to delete the name Pouncers_mom and Pouncersmom (I think thats what they were! :D) Though I don't see how many people might want to login with that name! :D :D :D