PDA

View Full Version : How much do you know about dogs?

Buddy2101
06-28-2001, 03:05 PM
1.What is the most popular breed in America?

2.Which breed has bitin the most people in the year 2000?

Well thats all for now if I run across any more I will post them! I will post the answers in 3 days! Injoy

ShepherdLover
06-28-2001, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Buddy2101:
<STRONG>1.What is the most popular breed in America?</STRONG>

Well I can answer that question. According to the AKC, it's the Labrador Retriever.

For question #2, I don't know! Sorry!

BandiTank
06-28-2001, 04:01 PM
Well I do know that the #1 breed in America for 2000 (2001 stats aren't in yet) is the Labrador Retriever according to AKC (as ShepherdLover said)

I'm not sure the answer to #2 but I think it might be the American Pit Bull Terrier (sorry to say :( ) or the Collie. :confused:

Sudilar
06-28-2001, 04:18 PM
#2 Could it be the highly unexpected Golden Retriever? However, I have never met one that bit!

[ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

*LabLoverKEB*
06-28-2001, 04:38 PM
Well, that's easy for me! #1: definetely the Labrador Retriever! #2: Sorry, but it's eathier the American Pit Bull Terrier, the German Shepherd, or the Collie. Good idea! :)

Karen
06-28-2001, 09:50 PM
I know the most frequent biter ISN'T the Pitbull - in fact I don't think it's even in the top three, :) it just gets all the bad publicity. It might be the Collie - keep in mind they were bred to herd sheep, and sometimes have to nip them to keep the flock in line ... :eek:

Logan
06-28-2001, 09:55 PM
I actually think the Labrador Retriever is the answer to both questions, believe it or not, with Golden Retrievers probably being second.

Remember, these are the reported bites.

Rottie
06-28-2001, 10:58 PM
1.What is the most popular breed in America?
The answer you are looking for is the Labrador Retriever. According to American Kennel Club registration statistics (for year 2000) there was at least double the amount of Labs than the second one on the list, Golden Retrievers. But, truly the most popular dog in America is the mixed breed, mutt, whatever you want to call it.

2.Which breed has bitin the most people in the year 2000?
I know last year some organization (don't remember which) came out with Rottweilers as the top biters.

But, you have to take into affect all the bites that are not listed with officials. Which might rack up some more points for the small dogs, because when they bite, it doesn't hurt as much as when big dogs bite.

Also, if you're going to count every bite, does that include when a police dog bites?

Logan
06-30-2001, 05:02 PM
So what is the correct answer?????

jackiesdaisy1935
06-30-2001, 07:02 PM
I am guessing that the German Shepard is the most popular dog

I am also guessing the Rottweiler probably bites the most. ( No offense Rottie I know Carl is a sweetheart, and we all love him and he wouldn't bite unless provoked to) :)

Dixie Belle
06-30-2001, 07:32 PM
Don't know about the most popular dog, but I think that Dalmations are one of the top dogs to bite.

*LabLoverKEB*
06-30-2001, 08:23 PM
I also agree witn Dixie Bell!!! Since the Disney movie, 101 Dalmations, everyone went out and got a Dalmation, but then, later, got rid of it, because they're just too much, and turned out to be a mean dog! And Logan, how could you say that?! Labs and Golden Retrievers are the most popular dogs! And, everyone, ANY dog can bite, and it's not the breeds fault if a dog bites!

Logan
06-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Oh, I know, I wouldn't suspect the Lab or Golden Retriever normally either, but I read recently that in fact, they are the "biting" culprits! I'm just waiting for confirmation....hoping I'm wrong. Mine would never bite anyone!!!!

Logan

Karen
06-30-2001, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by *LabLoverKEB*:
<STRONG>I also agree witn Dixie Bell!!! Since the Disney movie, 101 Dalmations, everyone went out and got a Dalmation, but then, later, got rid of it, because they're just too much, and turned out to be a mean dog! </STRONG>

The part about Dalmatians being mean is absolutely not true. Many people did not know what high-energy dogs they are, and that like any energetic dog, they can be destructive if bored, but no one ever said they were mean! High-maintenance, maybe, mean - no, not unless they were mistreated, which is true of most dogs.

Buddy2101
06-30-2001, 11:12 PM
The Golden retreiver is the most popular breed in aamerica in the year 2000
And the dog recoured to bit the most
is the Golden retrever

Sorry if I spel it wrong ehre is a new question.

What dog does not bark?

Which does has a blue tounge?

I will post the answer in 3 days again injoy!

Sudilar
06-30-2001, 11:17 PM
I think the barkless dog is the Basenji and Chow Chows have blue tongues.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

RachelJ
07-01-2001, 06:24 AM
Sue's right.

Pam
07-01-2001, 06:59 AM
Yep, Sue's right. My sister-in-law has a basenji and a friend from work has a chow. Basenjis sort of yodel instead of bark and the chows definitely have blue tongues.

Logan
07-01-2001, 08:15 AM
Ooops! :o I was trying to make Golden Retrievers second in both of your original catagories. Of course, I am biased towards the popularity thing...since I am such a Golden Retriever fan, but I knew that the Goldens and Labs also get the bad rap for biting as well. Honey probably has the capacity to bite, as she is so nervous, but she hasn't, and I make sure she is never in a situation to be tempted to! And Lilly could only be accused of licking someone to death!!! :D

I think Sue is right on with your next set of questions....I didn't know about the barking thing, but the Chow Chows definitely have the blue tongue.

learlaw
07-01-2001, 04:03 PM
Obviously, Chow Chows have blue tongues. But, I have a friend who has had full bred German Shephards and she says that can have blue on their tongue as well. By the way, I would have guessed the Chow to bite the most since it was bred to be a fighting dog and never a Golden Retriever. My dog is part Chow and mostly Border Collie and never bites anyone, but she can static jump 4 feet into the air!! She has a spotted toungue and gums -- she looks like she got into the licorice jar. Yea Jessie :D

learlaw
07-01-2001, 04:04 PM
Obviously, Chow Chows have blue tongues. But, I have a friend who has had full bred German Shephards and she says that can have blue on their tongue as well. By the way, I would have guessed the Chow to bite the most since it was bred to be a fighting dog and never a Golden Retriever. My dog is part Chow and mostly Border Collie and never bites anyone, but she can static jump 4 feet into the air!! She has a spotted toungue and gums -- she looks like she got into the licorice jar. Yea Jessie :D

Rottie
07-03-2001, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Buddy2101:
<STRONG>The Golden retreiver is the most popular breed in aamerica in the year 2000
And the dog recoured to bit the most
is the Golden retrever
</STRONG>

Where are you getting your information from???

Anyways, for the next one. Basenjis are the barkless dogs. Chow Chows have blue tongues.

Buddy2101
07-03-2001, 10:07 PM
My mom told me the questions and told me the ansswers and I wanted to see if you guys knew. The answers to the questions are Basenjie and Chow-Chow. Sory if I spelled that wrong got to run I will post a newe question as soon as my computer is fixed :rolleyes:

Buddy2101
07-06-2001, 07:21 AM
I am going to be giving you guys info on a breed then you guys have to guess what breed it is. Tell me if you like answering these questions or the kind of questions I had before. Injoy

What breed or dog is.......

Description
Characterized by its massive head and thick coat, this gentle Canadian giant is friendly with people of all ages, especially children. Its intelligence and fearlessness make it a good rescue dog. Often seen frolicking in the water, well suited for such fun because of its webbed feet.

General Information
Minimum Living Space Large Apartment or House With a Yard
Hypoallergenic No
Average Food Cost $60
Indoor Energy Level Low
Outdoor Exercise Time 45 minutes/day
Trainability Easy to Train
Protectiveness Moderately Protective
Dominance/Submissiveness Balanced

Health
Average Life Expectancy 8 years

Background
Dog Group Working Group
Country of Origin Canada
Natural Instincts Guarding, Hauling Carts, Rescuer, Pet or Companion

Appearance
Size Extra Large
Average Minimum Height 26 inches
Average Maximum Height 28 inches
Average Minimum Weight 100 pounds
Average Maximum Weight 150 pounds
Coat Color Bronze, Black, Black With White Markings, Gray, Blue, Brown
Coat Types Medium, Dense, Flat
Shedding Sheds A Lot
Grooming Frequency 3 times/wk
Trimming None
Ear Shape Short

And what breed of dog is.....

Description
The loose skin on the head and around the neck give this dog its solemn appearance. Extremely clean except for drooling. Although stubborn at times, this dog is a good family pet who's ready to please. Requires long walks or runs. Because this dog tends to wander, it should not be allowed unrestricted near traffic.

General Information
Minimum Living Space House With Large or Unlimited Space
Hypoallergenic No
Average Food Cost $30
Indoor Energy Level Medium
Trainability Somewhat Stubborn

Health
Average Life Expectancy 10 years

Background
Dog Group Hound Group
Country of Origin Belgium
Natural Instincts Hunting by Scent, Police Work, Pet or Companion, Rescuer, Tracking

Appearance
Size Large
Average Minimum Height 23 inches
Average Maximum Height 27 inches
Average Minimum Weight 80 pounds
Average Maximum Weight 110 pounds
Coat Color Red, Black With Tan, Liver and Tan
Coat Types Short
Shedding Sheds A Little
Grooming Frequency 2 times/wk
Trimming None
Ear Shape Long

Hope you guys injoy I will try to post the answers in 3 days!

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Buddy2101 ]

[ July 06, 2001: Message edited by: Buddy2101 ]

Karen
07-06-2001, 09:16 AM
I know! It's a Newfoundland, right? Sometimes the black and white ones are called Landseers, too.

Corinna
07-06-2001, 10:19 AM
Chows are not only the only blue tongued dog, Sharpa's also have blue-black tongue.

Sudilar
07-06-2001, 11:01 AM
Landseers are beautiful! Yes, I think it is the Newfoundland for the first breed.
Sue

ShepherdLover
07-06-2001, 02:43 PM
Breed #1 I believe is a Newfoundland.

Breed #2 I believe is a Bloodhound.

ownerof3dogs
07-08-2001, 12:17 AM
I agree with ShepherdLover

Daisy's Mom
07-08-2001, 05:22 PM
Breed 2 is definitely a Bloodhound! I know my hounds :)

Buddy2101
07-12-2001, 02:42 AM
The firt breed is in fact teh wonderfull Newfoundland

The second breed is the adorable Blood hound.

Here are some new breeds of dogs,

Description
Capable of reaching almost 40 mph, this race dog requires plenty of space to run. Tranquil inside the home and gentle with children and other dogs. Should not be unrestrained near traffic as this keen-sighted dog will take off after small animals. A clean breed that requires nail trimming.
General Information
Minimum Living Space Large Apartment or House With a Yard
Hypoallergenic No
Average Food Cost $30
Indoor Energy Level Low
Protectiveness Not Very Protective
Health
Average Life Expectancy 10 years
Background
Dog Group Hound Group
Country of Origin Egypt
Natural Instincts Hunting by Sight, Racing, Pet or Companion
Appearance
Size Large
Average Minimum Height 27 inches
Average Maximum Height 30 inches
Average Minimum Weight 60 pounds
Average Maximum Weight 70 pounds
Coat Color All Colors
Coat Types Short
Shedding Sheds A Little
Grooming Frequency 1 time/wk
Trimming Some
Ear Shape Short

This next one is a harder breed,

Description
Sir Walter Scott "invented" this dog in his 1814 novel "Guy Mannering," whose main character bore the name of the animal. Unlike other terriers, this dog has an arched frame, an oversized head, and a tuft of fur on top of its skull. Needs lots of exercise and is very loyal to a single master.
General Information
Minimum Living Space Apartment With Little or No Yard
Hypoallergenic No
Average Food Cost $20
Indoor Energy Level High
Outdoor Exercise Time 20 minutes/day
Health
Average Life Expectancy 13 years
Background
Dog Group Terrier Group
Country of Origin Great Britain
Natural Instincts Hunting, Pet or Companion
Appearance
Size Small
Average Minimum Height 8 inches
Average Maximum Height 12 inches
Average Minimum Weight 18 pounds
Average Maximum Weight 24 pounds
Coat Color Black, Apricot
Coat Types Medium, Rough
Shedding Sheds A Little
Grooming Frequency 3 times/wk
Trimming Professional Trim
Ear Shape Long

RachelJ
07-12-2001, 07:49 AM
My guess is greyhound and bedlington terrier.

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Sudilar
07-12-2001, 11:51 AM
I think Rachel is right on the greyhound.
I think the second breed is the Dandie Dinmont. :) :)

[ July 12, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

cockerlover25
07-12-2001, 12:19 PM
1. the Labrador Retriever- which I hate because there are more dogs that are just as affectionate, possibly more but, no EVERYONE has to have one and diss my dog because she 'isn't suppose to be good with kids' but she is great with them!
2. I would say the Corgi (both breeds) because they are bred to herd and I read somewhere that they nip people just to herd them, even in their own house.

Buddy2101
07-13-2001, 01:18 PM
The cocker spaniel is a wonderfulll breed but you don't need to go diss the Lab they both are wonderfull dogs. They make good house pets.There is no reson to go dissin the Lab just cause you think the cocker spaniel is better. You can't judge a dog on what the majority of the breed is like but what that certain dog is like. I know a cocker spniel who is mean as anything then I know a nother cocker spaniel who is the sweetiest thing in the world. So pelase don't go saying stuff about another breed because people chooose that breed over the breed of dog you have. I'm not trying to be mean saying this I just don't think that it was right of you to say that about the lab its good the breed is popular. Thanx

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: Buddy2101 ]