PDA

View Full Version : Bunnie Baths!

Rottieluver45
03-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Thelmer`s feet(from carrots and his litter box) and chin are orange from his carrots. How do I clean them? Am I suppose to give him a bath or somethin`?

Desert Arabian
03-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I would wet a washcloth with a little tiny drop of soap or shampoo, and rub his feet clean. Be sure to get all of the soap/shampoo off of his feet when you are done.

Or...maybe you could have him stand in the sink and rise his paws that way.

Rottieluver45
03-02-2003, 02:31 PM
I`ll try those,Thank you!

RockyRoad
03-02-2003, 03:18 PM
Oh boy is it hard to wash the Flopster's feet! She kicks so hard! But I eventually pick up her feet one by one, and use a washcloth with some soap to scrub the yellowness off her paws. Sometimes it takes awhile though. :) Good luck!

Brie
03-02-2003, 04:35 PM
My bunny gets orange on her chin and chest from carrots, I just leave it. she grooms herself so much that it just disappears in a day or two anyway.

There is stuff on the market called Bunny Bath (I think I have the name right) one is a shampoo (liquid) and the other is a dry powder. Most rabbits groom themselves pretty thoroughly though, I wouldn't bather her unless there was an absolute need for it. Rabbits don't like water (except to drink)

Daisylover
03-03-2003, 10:11 AM
I would never advise that you give a bunny a bath unless the bunny has soiled himself and he needs a butt bath......

Bunnies are very clean animals, if you watch them closely you will notice that all they do is eat, groom, play once in a while and nap. A bath can traumatize a bunny, he may fight you, and in fighting to get away from something unnatural, like a bath, may harm himself by breaking a leg his back or neck. It just is not worth the risk, especially for something as minor as a carrot stain.... With my bunnies, carrot stains disappear usually within a couple of hours due to their constant grooming.

Heather Wallace
03-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Like Daisy said, you only really have to give a bunny a bath is when he/she is having problems.

My new bunny Millie is having problems right now with soft poo. I am scared that she get infested with maggots so I gave her a bath today. She didn't enjoy it much. poor thing!!!

Daisylover
03-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Good point Heather!!!

Yes, maggots on an open wound or in soft poo on a bunny butt, will EAT into the skin and can kill a bunny in a couple of days!
That's why it is so important that you check you bunnies over, even if they are house buns, for open wounds and soft poo.
THEN the poo should be washed off and the area carefully checked, while any wound needs to be treated immediately and the bunny not allowed outside until the wound is healed.

Heather Wallace
03-04-2003, 01:02 PM
Hi Daisy, the reason i was concerned about the maggots (flystrike) as I was reading an article in my rabbit magazine and warned us of the danders since spring in approaching fast. It reminds us to check your bunny daily and keep its bottom clean and dry.

He is the disturbing photo I saw in the magazine.

This is a bunny with flystrike:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p570b1c2315d1721d013eb0437ca36103/fc8dc6fc.jpg

Daisylover
03-05-2003, 10:26 AM
OMG!!!! That's awful! How could someone let than happen to that precious rabbit????? Please tell me they caught the problem in time and the bunny lived!!!!

Rottieluver45
03-05-2003, 12:03 PM
That`s horrible! What happened to him?