PDA

View Full Version : Geckos

primabella
03-01-2003, 08:25 AM
i like geckos a lot but before i look into getting one (but i know that that is not even possible) does anyone here have one and can give me some info on them? or some sites on them? i've looked but none really help. :rolleyes: thanks a lot :D

Jessica12345
03-01-2003, 08:30 AM
uhh i dont have one and i dont know anything about them but they are really cool! I think you should get one so i can see pics :D

lol dont you just love my advice?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 08:40 AM
I used to have some geckos...
My supervisor caught one, one night at work in the warehouse and brought him into me... cause he knows how much I love animals..
It was sooooooooo tiny.. it was only like an inch long... I went to the pet store and baught him a really cool cage and some neat reptile dirt and kept a live bush clip in there for him to climb on. I looked at a lot of websites too and could not find out what kind he was. Eric had to feed him though.. I didn't like feeding him live crickets .. it was sad.... I named him Licker.. cause they lick their eyeballs.. I have some home video of him.. and some pictures... but I don't have a scanner... Licker died though. He got a big bump on his back that opened and started bleeding. He died that night before I could get him to the vet. I am not sure what they could have done for him though cause he was so small....

Then my supervisor caught two more in the warehouse.. and I took them home and fixed up Licker's old cage for them. They were sooooo cute.. they were real little too.. only like and inch to an inch and a half long. The littler one I named Dart cause he would dart all over when I opened the cage and the bigger I named Hider cause he would hide under the bush clipping all the time..... They were so funny cause Dart would sit on Hider all the time.. and if I came near the cage to look at them he would open his mouth real big.. like he was trying to intimidate me or something.... I set both of them lose though... I wanted them to be free and happy....BLAH BLAH BLAH...

I know I have not provided you with any valuable information... but I just loooved my geckos while I had them.
:D

primabella
03-01-2003, 09:21 AM
oh cool :D actually, after i typed up the message, i researched a bit more and miraculously (lol :p) found a site. i found out they're no good for me. plus, my dad hates reptiles so that was already a no. i was just interested in them. right now i'm into chinchillas! they are so adorable and are pretty easy to take care of. any info on those? :D

Jessica12345
03-01-2003, 10:53 AM
i dont know but i was at a pet store with chinchillas and it said on the sign "we love to be pet" So i stuck my hand in the cage and it attacked me!:eek: it hurt:( my brother did the same one time and it made him bleed a lot:(

i dont know if they are all like that though

primabella
03-01-2003, 04:24 PM
:eek: woa

okay, well i hope they are not all like that :p

well here's the thing. i read on the net that chins can go up from 5$ and that's pretty good. the big expense is the cage or tank or whatever you would call it. anyways, at school because i get good marks in english and history, they asked me if i could tutor for about 10$ and hour. that's pretty good so i signed up to tutor english. if all goes well, i'll eventually get enough money and i'll keep saving. i was planning on using the money to buy myself a chin. great plan until i mentionned it to my dad. he gave me one reason and that was cause he doesn't want one. *whine* lol i'm still gonna look into them though. about 3 of my friends also want chins. we're planning on all getting them together lol i wish :p

okay, i'm done babbling...;)

RogueFerret
03-01-2003, 05:55 PM
I had a pet chinchilla and it was the meanest critter I ever had! I had to use a thick glove to take it out when I had to change her cage. I had her ever since she was a baby too, so she hadn't been mistreated or anything. Also, when they bite, they have razor sharp teeth and boy do they HURT!:eek: I'm sure there's nice ones out there. but I haven't seen one. I think they're more or less an 'ornamental' pet. One to look pretty, but not to play with.

primabella
03-01-2003, 07:07 PM
okay, i'm convinced. no chinchilla ;) hehe..well i decided to drop the idea. what if i turn all my attention to my chin and ignore mickey :eek: never! but still ;) my dad is totally against the idea and without his 'okay'...iuts not gonna happen
thanks for replying :)

Jessica12345
03-02-2003, 04:55 PM
lol:)

you could get a bunny?:D hehe

luckies4me
03-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by RogueFerret
I had a pet chinchilla and it was the meanest critter I ever had! I had to use a thick glove to take it out when I had to change her cage. I had her ever since she was a baby too, so she hadn't been mistreated or anything. Also, when they bite, they have razor sharp teeth and boy do they HURT!:eek: I'm sure there's nice ones out there. but I haven't seen one. I think they're more or less an 'ornamental' pet. One to look pretty, but not to play with.

I have NEVER seen a mean or agressive chinchilla ever! My chin is the sweetest boy ever, he is a PEW named Chinchilly Willy. :D He has never bit us, not has ever tried. Although since he was not neutered he tried to show his affeciton to my fuzzy slippers and sometimes my hand when I put it int he cage....uh hum. :o

Chinchillas make great pets! They have some special needs as all pets do, and can be stressed very easily. They should not be housed by pet birds because this can easily send them into a heart attack. They need to have regular dust baths as well as hidey areas or they will lose their fur, and if stressed will actually pluck it out. They are prone to ringworm but if you go to your local nursery they have a plant fungal thingy you can add to their dust bath. I would have to look it up as I do not recall what it is called. I have never had any problems with ring worm though thank goodness as it is contagious to humans. And NO it is not a worm lol. :p

They cannot have sugar because they cannot process sugar well and it could lead to diabetes.

So again, chins can make very good pets as long as you do your homework first. :)

primabella
03-03-2003, 08:03 AM
thanks luckies!

i was trying to research chins and i found only one good site. they spoke so nicely of them, like you did, but people are telling me they bite and now i'm confused. well, i have pet birds so i guess that makes it an even bigger "forget it" :p

Jessica12345
03-03-2003, 07:16 PM
i love my birdy:D

i want another!

CathyBogart
03-05-2003, 02:27 AM
A good friend of mine has four Chinchillas. They are WONDERFUL pets! There is one who doesn't like people much, but she usually just runs off when you reach for her.

I loathe pet stores where you can just reach in and pet the animals. That is sooo mad for the animals, so stressful. I'm not surprised the Chin bit you. They are easily stressed animals, and living where anyone can just reach in and pet you anytime is very stressful. Plus, when they are young, they really don't like to be petted. Blame the pet store in that case, not the Chins!!

You can meet my friend's fuzz-rockets here: http://www.geocities.com/hyper_chinchilla/chinchilla

primabella
03-05-2003, 08:23 AM
Ooo, they are so cute! thanks for the link :D maybe i'll get one once i'm older :rolleyes:

Jessica12345
03-07-2003, 08:49 PM
omg they are so cute!:D