PDA

View Full Version : Kfitzi is very sick

Efrat
03-01-2003, 05:18 AM
Kfitzi is now at the vet clinic for a surgery. Poor little Kitty...

He started threwing up on thursday morning and hasn't stopped since. We took him to the vet on thursday and he thought he felt something in his belly, he treated him ( I have no idea how to explain in english- he gave him oily-fluids through his butt so what ever was stuck there can be moved)
we took him home, and he looked better and even ate a bit, but he threw it all out again after a while. Friday morning we tried again as it seemed like the thing that was stuck was no longer there.
He ate again and managed to keep it inside for a few hours, but later that night it was out again. Now we took him to the vet again (he opened the clinic especailly for us- nobody works here on saturdays) and we came to the last solution - to operate and see what's stuck there.
Kfitzi always eats stuff so it's almost certain he has something there. I do hope he can find it.
we are waitng for a call to find out what happened and to set a time to bring him back home.

Keep your fingers crossed for us...

Efrat:(

jenluckenbach
03-01-2003, 05:57 AM
Poor baby. :( I hope all goes well for him and he is well and eating again very soon.
(And the procedure souds like an "enema". So you can use that word in the future if you like)

ChrisH
03-01-2003, 06:00 AM
I am so sorry to read about Kfitzi being so ill :( Fingers and paws crossed, prayers and positve thoughts sent, that the surgery goes well and he recovers quickly.

love and hugs
chris

03-01-2003, 06:39 AM
Oh poor Kfitzi ....! let's hope the vet finds whatever got lost in your belly!! I am praying for you to get better all again!!!:)

K & L
03-01-2003, 06:46 AM
Good luck! I hope all goes well.

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Poor little Kfitzi kitty...
Well be praying for a speedy recovery.. keep us posted on how he is doing.

neko1
03-01-2003, 07:13 AM
Poor thing, hope he gets better soon!

sasvermont
03-01-2003, 07:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your poor kitty. I hope Kfitzi is strong and gives a good fight..... The kitty will be in my thoughts today....and as long as it takes....

Efrat, stay positive...and you can only do what you can do...the rest is up to God.

Love and good thoughts and prayer,
SAS

Efrat
03-01-2003, 08:54 AM
You are not going to believe what the vet found in there! :eek:

It was a strap from a bra!!! I have those bra where you can make them strapless if you take the straps out... I guess Kfitzi thought it looks better without them so he ate one...crazy little kitty...

Well, it's all out now, and he's waking up. We'l pick him up later tonight. Hopefully this was the only thing he ate and stayed there ....

Ilan (my Boyfriend) wants to take a picture of the bra-strip... if it's not too gross I might put it here....

Thanks for all you fingers and paws crossed, keep them crossed for a speedy recovery.

Efrat

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 08:59 AM
OMG!!!
It is amazing what those silly kitties will eat!! I am so glad that the doctor found what was blocking him... I wonder why he thought a bra strap to be so tempting... I have those same kind of bras so I will be making extra sure that the straps stay in my drawers... will keep you guys in our thoughts and will be praying for a speedy recovery!

When will he come home?

03-01-2003, 09:00 AM
Oh you silly Kfitzi !!!! Thought your mommy looks better without those straps , hey :rolleyes: ..! Oh my , you gave her , and all Pettalkers here , a great fright !! No more eating human clothing hey , sweatheart !!

Efrat
03-01-2003, 09:02 AM
Hi Sara

He'll be coming home in about 2 hours....

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 09:05 AM
He'll be coming home in about 2 hours....

Well good... He will feel much better after he comes home... did they give him any special diet.. I am guessing he wont be able to eat if they had to cut his stomache?.. where did they find it.. in the stomache or intestine? poor baby... give him a hug for me.

Barbara
03-01-2003, 09:34 AM
I am glad I missed this thread yesterday because today we all know that poor silly Kfitzi will be ok soon. I would never have expected that he could eat something which is anyway thicker than a string:confused:
So glad it didn't hurt him :)

catmandu
03-01-2003, 09:39 AM
Thank God that Kfitzi is back home safe and well! And Kfitzi , please stick to the Iams or science diet. BoBo will eat wool , if she can get to it and had her stomach emptuied one time at the vets! Kfitzi , thank god youre OK!

Randi
03-01-2003, 09:43 AM
I missed this yesterday, but I'm glad to hear the vet found what caused it. :) A bra strap! :eek: Hope he recovers quickly!

Please keep us posted. Get well, Kfitzy! :)

lynnestankard
03-01-2003, 09:57 AM
SILLY KFITZI!! Bra straps a definate No-N o!! And they don't taste good either - do they?!!
So pleased he's coming home Efrat - looking at the time of your last post he'll be home in about an hour. Please give the lovely furboy a couple of nose kissies from me!
You can let him know that Diane's (my daughter) cat Tabitha has a favourite toy - it's one half of Diane's old bikini top!! She takes it everywhere with her - but doesn't eat it - so no more bra straps!!!
Lynne

ChrisH
03-01-2003, 10:24 AM
Well, a bra strap!!:eek: It never fails to amaze me what my dog will pick up and swallow and now a bra strap eating cat! I can see I am going to have to keep an eye on my kitty as well as my dog!:D
Seriously, poor Kfitzi, I am so pleased that the op went well and he will be back home with you soon and I hope he has a swift and full recovery. :) Give him a big kiss from me and please keep us posted.

chris

gini
03-01-2003, 11:15 AM
Now that is a new one on me! I have never heard of a kitty eating such a thing as large as a bra strap. Kfitzi you silly..........
you have made everyone worry so much about you.

What did your vet say? I bet he was amazed too!

Thank goodness all will be well (except your bra, of course!)

Efrat
03-01-2003, 12:16 PM
Kfitzi is home now.
He's still very sleepy, we put him on a spare room with his litter box food and water... we'll try to give him some wet food later when he wakes up.

The strap was in his intestine, but the vet checked his stomache as well (we thought it was something else that he ate so he wanted to make sure there is nothing else there).

He should be better in a few days...

I'll attach the photo of the strap as an attachment so only those who want to see will see...
I'll try to show you the scar tomorrow.

Efrat

slick
03-01-2003, 12:31 PM
Efrat - that is sooo frightening!! How could Kfitzi think that it would taste good!! Yuck!!:eek:

Congratulations for being such a good Mom and taking him in when you did. A couple of years ago our shelter adopted out a kitty to a forever home and 3 months later he ended up at the RB because he ate some string and it got caught in the intestine. It's truly amazing what kitties will eat!

Love and prayers on the way for a speedy recovery!:D

lailamara
03-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Good grief! so happy things ended well. What was Kfitzi thinking. A fettucini noodle perhaps! Yikes:eek:

boscibo
03-01-2003, 01:37 PM
That is so scary. It is my worst nightmare my cats will eat something they find. I'm so glad he's doing better now.

Nomilynn
03-01-2003, 02:28 PM
wow that strap would have made ME sick and I'm a lot bigger than a little kitty!!! I will also check to make sure I don't have stuff like that where it can be gobbled up. I don't use bras like that, but other things like plastic bag handles or strings or something like that could cause the same problem

Kfitzi - please feel all better soon!!

sasvermont
03-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Oh my gosh, such a thing to eat. It doesn't even look apetizing so I wonder why he ate it! Can you imagine how long it took him to get the whole thing down? Probably the better part of a day or night!

I am so happy you found the problem and the Vet was able to save him.

One life down, and eight more to go!

One crazy kitty, for sure!

;)

jenluckenbach
03-01-2003, 03:10 PM
:eek: :eek: unbelievable !!!. I am glad all came out well. (oops, sorry for the pun) we are going to have to have a good talking to to that cat. STICK WITH THE CAT FOOD

Karen
03-01-2003, 04:36 PM
Oh, Kfitzi, you are not the fashion police! No destroying evidence that way again, okay? It's amazing what animals will decide looks tasty, isn't it? Glad he's home, and we hope that he not only feels better soon, but that he learned a lesson, too! Ooouch!

AdoreMyDogs
03-01-2003, 05:31 PM
My goodness, Kfitzi! I am so glad that you are better, but....a bra strap? You better stick to your kitty food, kid.

I am so glad that everything is OK with the silly kitty. Hopefully he has learned himself a little lesson!

Steffi N
03-01-2003, 06:39 PM
Oh my, that strap is so long. Glad Kfitzi is better now. :)

NoahsMommy
03-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Poor thing! Glad he's home and on his way to recovery. Kitties eat the wierdest things...

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2003, 11:59 PM
Wow! Kfitzi what were you thinking. :eek: I'm so glad that he's back home and doing well. I guess you need to child proof your house now.

Efrat
03-02-2003, 02:40 AM
Kfitzi is still very weak this morning.
I locked him in a room last night, but woke up to find the door OPEN!!! he couldn't have opened it from the inside, I'm sure he had an outside help! :mad:

Anyway, I did find him after going through the whole house going crazy.. he was hiding in one of the cat trees. I tried to give him some wet food but he doesn't want any, he's still sleepy...

I'll try again when I go home for lunch. I put him back in his room before I left and made sure the door is very closed!

Barbara
03-02-2003, 04:38 AM
Kfitzi in the cat tree: That's not a bad sign. Filou also likes to retire in a spot that he himself has chosen when he is ill. And after surgey it's normal if he's not hungry. I'm sure he'll sleep it out.

Efrat
03-02-2003, 04:44 AM
I know it's normal that he sleeps a lot, But he has to eat something. He didn't eat properly since thursday morning. I also have to give him antibiotics and I have to put it in his food. He won;t eat the pill alone and I don't want to try hard and hurt him...

I talked to the vet again and he saud if he doesn't eat till tonight We should take him back for an antibiotic shot and some food maybe through the vain.

I'll be home in about an hour to check on him.

lynnestankard
03-02-2003, 05:30 AM
Just hope it's a case of a very sore tum. Maybe when it settles a bit - he'll feel ravenous!! Hopefully!! :D
Maybe he needs tempting by meowmie holding tasty morsels and pleading with him to eat!!! LOL!
Hope you don't have to return to the vet with him - come on Kfitzi be a BIG boy and eat your lunch.

Lynne

tatsxxx11
03-02-2003, 05:48 AM
Oh Kfitzi!!:( What an ordeal you've been through...and your Mommy too! Puppies are known for eating the strangest things! But how did you ever manage to get that strap down!:eek: I'm sure you're little belly is very sore, but try and eat a little bit, sweetie pie. You need to get your strength back. Sending our love and prayers to Kfitzi and family! C'mon Kfitzi, rally!!!:)

neko1
03-02-2003, 07:51 AM
What an ordeal you poor thing, please eat something for your mommy!

Efrat
03-02-2003, 08:04 AM
I have some good news...

He run away from his room again, and after hiding under the bed for a while he went down-stairs (15 steps!!) to drink from the water fountain... I guess regular water ball are not enough for him... there are two upstairs.

So he drunk a lot of water and even agreed to lick some of the gravy of the wet food I gave him, then went back up to hide in his tunnels.

I'll try more food later...

Edwina's Secretary
03-02-2003, 10:59 AM
I just tuned in to find out that Kfitzi is a cross dresser. I must admit I'm a bit shocked. I never picked him for the type....;) ;)

So glad he is doing better. Nothing worse than getting a hold of some indigestible underwear!

Get better fast Kfitzi!

krazyaboutkatz
03-02-2003, 03:02 PM
Kfitzi,please eat some food for your Mommy. You need to eat so you can get better and keep your strength up. Prayers are on the way for a quick and full recovery.

jenluckenbach
03-02-2003, 04:05 PM
it is good that he is drinking and that he started to taste the food again. I think it will be quite soon that you can stop worrying about him.

(cross dresser.....LOL)

kimlovescats
03-02-2003, 05:44 PM
Silly kitty! So glad he is doing ok now!!! ;)

Miss Meow
03-02-2003, 06:39 PM
What a scare for you! I'm so glad Kfitzi is feeling a bit better.

Nomilynn
03-02-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh Kfitzi.. please eat a little more for your mommy!! I'm gald to know he's drinking more now. :)

Efrat
03-03-2003, 12:44 AM
He's doing much better now! :)

Last night he did eat a bit so I managed to give him some anti-biotics as well... then he even tried to jump on the counter but fel off..:eek:

This morning he jumped on the counter again and succeded! He drinks a lot and eats something... he'll be fine... he looks much better today!

I did get a sneak-preview of his scar, it's quite big, but looks ok. If I can I'll try to take a picture...

krazyaboutkatz
03-03-2003, 12:51 AM
Yeah! :) I'm so glad that he's doing much better today. :)

Barbara
03-03-2003, 03:24 AM
So good to hear he's back on the way to his normal self:)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-03-2003, 11:31 AM
Whew! What a close call for naw-tee Kfitzi! I'm so glad to hear he's doing better - and even jumping on the counter all ready! :eek:

Eat up, Kfitzi, and take your medicines too so you all back to normal in no time - and leave those bra straps alone goofy kitty!

:)

ramanth
03-03-2003, 11:37 AM
The things I miss over the weekends!!! :eek:

I'm so happy to hear the Kfitzi is doing better. What a scare for you!

Logan
03-03-2003, 12:30 PM
Good heavens, Kfitzi!!! I'm sure your mama provide you enough toys and food that you do not need to resort to eating undergarments!!!! :eek:

Efrat, I am so glad he is improving. I didn't know anything about this until now and I'm so happy to read all the way through and know there is a happy ending. :)

Hope his recovery goes well.

Logan

NoahsMommy
03-03-2003, 01:30 PM
Good boy sweetie! Eat up that yummy cat food....it'll make you feel so much better.

Efrat
03-04-2003, 11:57 AM
Just wanted to let you know he's doing much better now.
He eats more and more , we spoil him with a lot of wet-food and pastrama... He looks much better and he acts like nothing has happened!

Here are some scar pics, not too good, can't see all the scar... maybe tomorow I'll get a better view :)

http://www.bsh.co.il/forums/Files/DSC00022.JPG

http://www.bsh.co.il/forums/Files/DSC00030.JPG

catland
03-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Oh my - that's quite the scar. I'm glad you're feeling better Kfitzi.

Vio&Juni
03-04-2003, 12:35 PM
Poor Kfitzy :(
I just noticed the thread and while reading the signs of the sickness I thought it might be something he ate. Juni also likes to eat rubber bands (no rubber bands available in our house!!!), so I kind of understand why Kfitzy liked the strap.
I am so glad he's better.

lynnestankard
03-04-2003, 12:38 PM
Great news Kfitzi - carry on eating up that yummy food :D :D
What a big brave boy you are - that scar looks quite big
:(

So pleased he's improved Efrat - and jumping up at counter tops is a good sign :D :D

Lynne

Cataholic
03-04-2003, 03:04 PM
I am astonished Kfitzi would eat such an item! NAWTEEKAT, but, I am sooo glad he is on the way to recovery. Nasty looking scar, and I am sure his tum-tum is sore. Keep us posted, please!

ChrisH
03-04-2003, 04:11 PM
I am so happy to hear that Kfitzi is recovering so well.:) :)

chris

moosmom
03-04-2003, 09:02 PM
Efrat,

I'm sorry I missed this thread. But glad to hear Kfitzi is doing better.

I am always amazed at the things cats will eat. I keep rubberbands, string, thread, coins, anything small enough for a cat to get into his mouth OUT of sight with my cats. I try to think in terms of them being children. I also don't let them play with plastic shopping bags with the handles. One time my cat Marina Mar (RB 2002) ate thread after I finished sewing cage curtains. It was pretty scary seeing thread coming out of her butt. That little "snack" cost me $80 at the emergency vet. Live and learn.

marysmerrycats
03-05-2003, 12:53 AM
Efrat
oh that crazy cat! what an odd thing for the kitty to eat. glad he is ok now.

A couple of years ago our shelter adopted out a kitty to a forever home and 3 months later he ended up at the RB because he ate some string and it got caught in the intestine. It's truly amazing what kitties will eat!

it is scary, you have to watch and keep the floor free of dangerous things for cats...I am always looking if I see my cats chewing on or eating something, and usually it is nothing, or its a toy they are playing with, but there's been a few times it has been something harmful and I take it away!

although I would never guess they would eat a bra strap!
years ago I had a cat that had swallowed a needle and thread!! I didn't know what was wrong with her for days(and too stupid to rush her to the vet, I just thought she had a hairball) well when I did take her to the vet and he said it was a needle with the thread still on it I said oh thats impossible, til he showed it to me! I was so shocked! my poor baby. and it was up on a high shelf but cats climb.. she recovered alot faster than I expected her to, cats are amazing arent they?