PDA

View Full Version : It's the first day of autumn here

Miss Meow
02-28-2003, 06:04 PM
And it's finally raining! And we just had a hailstorm - it's fantastic! It's so dark inside that I've got the lights on (it's late morning) and it's only 11 degrees C. The cats are a little bit surprised by all this and are following me around the house, waiting for me to sit down so they can sit on me and extract my warmth :D

(Silly trivia: our seasons change on the first day of each quarter, not the equinoxes, because a government once thought Australians were too stupid to understand the equinoxes ;) )

NoahsMommy
02-28-2003, 06:06 PM
How fun! Don't you love weather changes??

popcornbird
02-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Hmmmm......................autumn? Interesting. LOL! We are awaiting spring! :p

jenluckenbach
02-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
(Silly trivia: our seasons change on the first day of each quarter, not the equinoxes, because a government once thought Australians were too stupid to understand the equinoxes ;) )
I was just about to ask why your seasons would be changing when ours are not. Great peice of trivia.

Miss Meow
02-28-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

I was just about to ask why your seasons would be changing when ours are not. Great peice of trivia.

And you will note that I have avoided commenting on its possible truth!!! :D

Soledad
02-28-2003, 06:37 PM
You are such a crack-up, Nicole.

I thought of you the other night when Sam and I were wined and dined by an Australian businessman. I have never heard the word "mate" so many times in one evening.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-28-2003, 07:25 PM
I am a little confused... is it autumn like the leaves will be changing autumn.... or are your seasons different than ours!?!?:confused:

popcornbird
02-28-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
I am a little confused... is it autumn like the leaves will be changing autumn.... or are your seasons different than ours!?!?:confused:

Yes of course Sara! In the Southern Hemisphere, seasons are opposite to our's in the Northern Hemisphere! Most of the world has Summer in July and Winter in January, but in Australia/New Zealand, and other countries in the Southern Hemisphere, the seasons are opposite! That's because the sun hits the Southern Hemisphere in a different angle (since the earth is round and spins on its axis a little diagonal, not straight). When the sun is hitting us at its hardest in July, it is hitting the Southern Hemisphere at its lowest, and vice versa for when its winter here! Get it now? ;)

Soledad
02-28-2003, 07:36 PM
Man, they should really be teaching that in schools more. I thought that was standard social studies stuff?:confused:

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks popcornbird...

Man, they should really be teaching that in schools more. I thought that was standard social studies stuff?

I think I learned that in 7th grade.. which was a whole 10 years ago.... :eek: We made a globe out of paper and learned the hemispheres... but .. I guess it slipped my mind.:D

sammi
02-28-2003, 07:45 PM
From Sara's post I think she understands what autumn is!!! LOL I believe she was just wondering if the season changes with leaves changing color etc.

popcornbird
02-28-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
Man, they should really be teaching that in schools more. I thought that was standard social studies stuff?:confused:

They do teach it in school. That's how I know. I learned it like 10 times in different grades! LOL

I guess Sara just forgot maybe. :)

Miss Meow
03-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Soledad, I used to work with one of those types. He was an account manager and every sales call started with, "G'day mAAAAYte." I cringed every time!

Sara, our seasons aren't very extreme, so the trees drop their leaves but not to the extent as New England for example - I've always wanted to go there in autumn :)

Mini and Jasmine discovered that I turned their heat pad on
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p04ee1828ce1e59894bd604041e6f2fde/fc91eda9.jpg

Pickles squeezes in while Tabasco looks for a way in!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p83fc14bb1d76db0fe7dd3796b4c5f2c5/fc91edaa.jpg

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 07:20 AM
AWWWWWWW
SUCH CUTE PICTURES!!!

The real ~~ COZY KITTIES~~
:D :D

lovemyshiba
03-01-2003, 09:41 AM
awwwww!! what cute kitty pictures!!

Dakota's Mommy
03-03-2003, 10:00 AM
Personally, I'm so sick of rain and gloom! I feel like we haven't seen the sun in 3 weeks. I guess the sun was out the weekend before this past one, but that was only for 2 days and the 2 weeks before had been dark and rainy. My backyard is totally loosing all it's grass now, and I'm so sick of wiping paws as the pups enter the house. AHHHHH, I want sunshine again!