PDA

View Full Version : Claire (a Molly) got ICH

NoahsMommy
02-28-2003, 02:49 PM
I looked in the tank last night and saw white spots/bumps all over our white Molly, Claire. I went online and figured out that she had ICH. We went to PetSmart and got this:
http://www.petsmart.com/images/product/large/in602850.jpg
She looked better today...so hopefully it will work. Does anyone else have any experience with ICH?

Twisterdog
03-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Ich is quite common. It is carried by a lot of pet store fish, and triggered by stress. It is highly contagious, so don't be surprised if all the fish in your tank get it.

Make sure you follow the package directions exactly when treating it. Some medications are much more effective than others, but also harsher. Some ich medications can't be used on sensitive fish (like tetras), scaleless fish (like some catfish), and will kill invertebrates (like snails). Of couse, the stronger meds are often the more effective, so it's a toss-up if you have a bad case.

Ich is easily cured and rarely fatal, unless you let it go too long, or the fish is already weak, ill or highly stressed.

RockyRoad
03-01-2003, 09:20 PM
It takes about a week for the treatment to work. We haven't had experience with Ich in years, but I went and asked my dad, and he said the treatment usually cures it in a week or so. And I was also going to say what Twisterdog said. Hope Claire gets cured soon!:)

NoahsMommy
03-01-2003, 10:28 PM
She's almost all better. We used one dose of the treatment and it worked really well. I'm so glad. While we were waiting for help at PetSmart, we were looking in the tank where we got Claire and one fish in the tank had ICH too! That kind of creeps me out. We told the girl and she took that fish out.

We wont be going there anymore for fish...

Thanks for all the information everyone. :)