PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

shais_mom
06-01-2001, 06:34 AM
I am reading this book right now "Kindred Spirits" by Allen M Schoen. Its about the animal human bond. I came across this statement in it that almost made me sick to my stomach. I wanted to know what you all thought of it.
".....a Texas hairdresser whose rottweiler killed and ate her four week old daughter. The woman wept uncontrollably when told the dog would have to be destroyed,"I can always have another baby" she said "but I can't replace my dog."
I just quoted it, I am not trying to blame anything on the breed of the dog, I love rotties. I personally think this lady doesn't deserve children or dogs. Maybe its b/c the baby was only 4 weeks old and she hadn't bonded with her yet, and she had the dog longer, hence a stronger bond. But that still flabbergasts me. It makes me sick to my stomach.

------------------
~~"You do not own a dog, the dog owns you."~~
(Anonymous)

[This message has been edited by shais_mom (edited June 01, 2001).]

Westie Woman
06-01-2001, 08:39 AM
That is sick that a woman would actually say that about her baby. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/mad.gif Is it true?

------------------
~~~A House Is Not a Home Without a Dog~~~

Mousgroupy
06-01-2001, 08:48 AM
What do you do with information like that? I mean, it is horrific for dog lovers and mothers alike! If it is true, then I think the whacko needs to be put somewhere where she won't have the chance of having anymore children OR screwing up any more dog's lives!
YUK! I know...I know...how harsh am I?

Dixie Belle
06-01-2001, 09:57 AM
I'm just sitting here with my mouth open and no words coming out. I love my pets, but a four week old baby, and my child at that!

bugmom
06-01-2001, 11:10 AM
I gotta agree with everyone. this is sick and disgusting! yuck!!!!
guess thats what happens to the mind when you use too many chemicals (was she a peroxide blond hairdresser?!)

Ben E Gas
06-01-2001, 11:23 AM
Don't you love your child before it is even born? That lady IS SICK. That just goes to show you, we haven't changed much from the people who walked this land 40,000 years ago. I'm reading a book also, a historical fiction about the Ice Age and the humans that wandered it. Called "Beyond the Sea and Ice" by william Sarabande. He writes of bands of men that left their children out in the cold to die during starving times.

shais_mom
06-01-2001, 01:10 PM
I don't know if its a true statement or not, it was just a short passage in the book. I am glad I am not the only one who thought this woman was whacked out!!! Whatta fruitloop!!
I agree Mousgroupy, I don't think you were too harsh at all. I don't have human children, but I do have 2 nephews one is 4 the other is 8 mos and if anything happened to either of them when they were just 4 weeks old, our whole family would have been devastated. The youngest one gave us a scare when he was just 2 days old, he was dehydrated b/c he wasn't getting enough milk from my sister on the one side and he turned jaundiced and his liver function was out of whack. He came thru with flying colors and I just can't imagine life without either one of them. I think this woman needed to be hung for saying that about her precious baby girl, I mean come on, which one is replacable, really neither, you can never replace a dog or a child.

aly
06-01-2001, 01:33 PM
I don't have children but I bonded with my cousin's baby the second she was born in the hospital. Even before that I felt a bond to her. That woman is just messed up.

This is off the topic but does anybody read the Chicken Soup books? I read the one for the Cat & Dog Lover's Soul and also for the Pet Lover's Soul. They are GREAT! I've read them both several times. Tearjerkers but heart warming at the same time. There are some amazing stories.

Mousgroupy
06-01-2001, 02:09 PM
I read a few stories while preusing books one night at Barnes and Noble. I just cry too damn easily to read stuff like that out in public! Anyway, loved what I read. I am sure all of you have read and discussed the James Herriott series (All Things Wise and Wonderful etc). Read them when I was young and just loved how his love of animals came through every story. I loved him and Stephen King...now, do those go together? Not so much!

Mousgroupy
06-01-2001, 02:11 PM
uh...the big word that I tried to use was "peruse" not "preuse"

Daisy's Mom
06-02-2001, 12:21 AM
Wow that's sick. I am too young to have children but from what I understand, there is a special maternal bond bewteen a mother and her baby from the second that it starts to grow inside her. That woman must seriously have some mental problem; no one in their right mind could say a thing like that! Shai's Mom was right: you can't replace a dog or a child, but I do beleive a mother should care for her children first, and dog second.

Karen
06-02-2001, 10:39 AM
I think we're all being too harsh in judging this woman. I'm sure it was something she said just in the heat of the moment. Her child was 4 weeks old, which means she may still probably be dealing with the wild emotions and mood swings that the hormones of pregnancy cuase in many. She could also be suffering from post-partum depression "True postpartum depression (PPD) affects about 10 to 15 percent of new mothers; its symptoms — anxiety, irritability, insomnia, feelings of guilt, difficulty concentrating, persistent weepiness or sadness — most often show up within the first six weeks."

Grief often makes people say things they'd normally rather not. Trust me, I've dealt with it enough.

jackiesdaisy1935
06-02-2001, 10:44 AM
I don't think I can read that post, it is too heartbreaking from what I see.

------------------
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/blkschnauzer.gif
http://clipartpage.homestead.com/files/schnauzer.gif

aly
06-02-2001, 12:32 PM
I see what you are saying Karen but I still think she is very sick and disturbed. Even if its just the grief talking, she needs major psyciatric help.

I wonder who she made this comment in front of.