PDA

View Full Version : "Puppy Stage"

SimbaTWonderDog
11-09-2001, 05:07 PM
If anyone knows, At what age do puppys grow out of "puppy stage" isnt it around the age of 2?? just wondering, thanks in advance

kobieeli
11-09-2001, 05:15 PM
Hmmm...it probably depends on the breed of dog, and also what you'd define as "puppy stage"! I know that some breeds like Labs tend to mature slowly; I assume the bigger the breed, the longer it takes to grow out of spastic behavior, destructive activity, and a short attention span (I guess what most people would call the puppy stage).

I was surprised at how quickly Eli's puppy stage passed--he was a pain in the butt until about 8 months old, and since then he's been a joy! :D

Pam
11-09-2001, 05:28 PM
Well technically Bella is still a puppy at age 10 months. She has basically calmed down into a good dog except for the occasional urge to dig in the back yard. She hadn't destroyed anything in the house in ages but yesterday when I was on the phone she started chewing on a bed pillow. She had never done this before! I am wondering if it was just a ploy to get my attention, which she got....instantly!! :D I think maybe at one year of age they enter into adulthood and then hopefully some sort of maturity. :) At least I am hoping that is the case. Maybe by next spring my yard will not look like little bombs have been dropped in several places. :eek:

Dixieland Dancer
11-09-2001, 08:38 PM
It does depend on the breed as to how fast they mature and grow out of puppy antics. Smaller dogs seem to mature faster than bigger ones. However, environment plays a part in it too. Obedience training, proper socialization skills and physical activity all have a part in how they mature. A dog left to it's own devices day in and day out will probably be destructive and "WILD" a lot longer than a trained, physically active, properly socialized dog.

Labs in general usually are not considered adult dogs until around two years of age, even though they may be full grown a year before this.

RachelJ
11-09-2001, 09:34 PM
Well then, Hannah must have some Lab in her as it was a full two years before my life settled down. It is a good thing I wasn't on Pet talk back then because I would have had a "Hannah story" to tell each and every day (and no, she was not left to her own devices). She is turning 6 this month, and she still has a attitude and a zest for life, but we have had a truce now for several years. I for one do not miss the puppy stage at all.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Logan
11-09-2001, 10:42 PM
KayAnn, I can only speak of my Goldens when it comes to finishing the "puppy stage". My Cocker, Kaycee, was 7 years old when I adopted her, and she was way past those bad years. :)

Honey is mostly mature now, and she will be 3 years old in December! But...she still has her moments with chewing things she isn't supposed to. I think it is more a symptom now of "I want your attention NOW, Mom" than puppy badness.

And Lilly, she just does whatever Honey does, if Honey is nearby. But for the most part, she's my "little old lady", but happens to be the youngest of my dogs and cats, at 2 1/2 years old! :D

3-greys-and-a-mutt
11-10-2001, 08:16 PM
Generally, about 2 years old should be the point you expect a decrease in erratic/destructive behavior, more interest in routine and naps, etc. We didn't even know Boo until she was almost two, and she will be 3 on Thankgiving day. She still acts like a big puppy. She sleeps alot, but that the only adult hing she does. She still is always trying to do things that get her in trouble, and she plays very hard and never has a plan from one minute to the next.