PDA

View Full Version : What made you choose the breed your dog is?

*LabLoverKEB*
10-12-2001, 08:01 PM
Well, before we got Sadie, we had a Yellow Lab, and my dad really likes Labradors!!!!! (So do I, of course!) So, before you got your dog, what made you choose the breed he is? Thanks!!

KayAnn
10-12-2001, 08:24 PM
i did not have a specific breed in mind... i didnt really care, and i owuldnt care if i was to get another, i just want loving furbabies! ;)

Golden Smiles
10-12-2001, 09:10 PM
:D Neat ???? Well, first off....I love all animals, I am just partial to goldens because my parents had them and I LOVE their personalities!! I would also, someday, love an apricot toy poodle........anyone have one?? I've gotta do some research, I want a pupper that can go everywhere with me in my bag! :eek:

KayAnn
10-12-2001, 09:24 PM
Boy, does al;ly have the cutest apricot poodle for you!!!!!

aly
10-12-2001, 10:01 PM
Did I hear someone say apricot poodle?!?!?!!?!?

My all time favorite pic:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/017/m3/Qx/At/xG96943.jpg

Here's Reece with an elegant up 'do:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/013/Uz/zu/vG/aJ28919.jpg

Reece asking if he's in trouble:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/030/Ur/gu/ls/o394860.jpg

Eating peanut butter:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/024/mh/4J/cF/Ih97640.jpg

With big sister:
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/bA/s9/7i/qP23041.jpg

Sorry guys! Got carried away as usual!!!

Logan
10-12-2001, 10:18 PM
I chose for temprament.....and I couldn't have chosen a better breed! I will always have a Golden Retriever or a Lab, just because I love BIG, loving dogs....but the next one will be a rescue, for sure.

I'm transporting another one tomorrow....long, long drive, but it is for the benefit of a dear friend. He's going from Winston Salem, NC to Dallas, TX....isn't he going to be loved when he gets there????

I'll share pictures when I get them.

Logan

aly
10-12-2001, 10:32 PM
Dallas?!?! That's so close to me. Well 3 hours but close enough. Is the last leg filled? I assume it is but if whoever is doing that leg needs any help, let me know!

AdoreMyDogs
10-12-2001, 10:36 PM
I chose Graham for temperment. Temperment is everything with me. Not only did I not have a specific breed in mind when I adopted him, but I had no intention of adopting at all...the apartment I was in at the time (this was back when I was in college) had a rule against any animal being in the apartments! I had to hide him from the landlord for a few months :D

Logan
10-12-2001, 10:38 PM
Aly, you are so sweet. The "legs" are from Winston Salem, NC to Hickory, NC, where I will pick up. Hickory to Knoxville, TN, where I will deliver. Knoxville to Memphis, TN. The new owner, from Dallas, will drive the 8 hour trip to Memphis to pick up her new baby. Just wish you or someone like you were closer to get Badger (that's his name) closer to me!! I will have at least 9 hours in the car.....but it is for a good cause. The only negative is that my "children" have to stay home alone......we love our Saturdays!!

aly
10-12-2001, 10:41 PM
Awww, I'm sure they'll understand its for a good cause. Maybe you can pick them up some treats on the way :) Non-edible of course so they can keep their slim figures :D

Hey, you should just drive on down to Texas!!!! (and bring all your kids, we can have a party!)

[ October 12, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

Sudilar
10-12-2001, 11:49 PM
Aly, how adorable!!!

Sudilar
10-13-2001, 12:54 AM
This made me choose the breed I have today:
(these pics are 20 yrs. old)
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/el/RO/yD/1w16471.jpg
and
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/035/gH/Kq/Pg/1f31722.jpg

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: Sudilar ]

tatsxxx11
10-13-2001, 06:02 AM
Oh Sue! Tears, tears, tears! What beautiful memories. What beautiful children! What a gorgeous Shepherd. The start of a life long love affair for sure!! Killian, Shiloh, you are carrying on the legacy nobley in true German Shepherd 1st class style!!! LOVE YOU GUYS!!

RachelJ
10-13-2001, 08:06 AM
Hee, hee, I'm glad I'm not the only one who can post 20 year old pictures.

I chose a cockapoo because I fell in love with a neighbor's dog who was a cock-a-poo. She was the sweetest thing on the earth and I loved her as if she were my own. I am on my third one now and although each of their personalities were quite different, their size has been good for me and I LOVE their curly fur which hardly sheds at all and you can bury your face in its softness.

My other dog I did not choose by breed. At the time he needed a home and there were so many indications that this was the right dog for our family, so I said yes, even though I had never considered a Cocker Spaniel before. Lesson learned...keep an open mind when it comes to selecting a breed.

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: RachelJ ]

Golden Smiles
10-13-2001, 08:20 AM
:D :D Aly your babies are bootiful!! How much does Reese weigh? Is he a minature or toy/teacup or a standard? What are their personalities like?? Love those pix,(everyone else's too!)

ShepherdLover
10-13-2001, 08:32 AM
Well...

German Shepherds are very loyal and my Dad wouldn't let me have any other breed. I'm glad he didn't! I love the GSD (German Shepherd Dog) because they are extreamly loyal, trainable and versatile. You can see all these traits in Iris.

If there was another breed that I wanted to get, it would probably be either a Pembroke Welsh Corgi or an Aussie. I'll definatly have to stick with the herding group!!! :D

[ October 13, 2001: Message edited by: ShepherdLover ]

jackiesdaisy1935
10-13-2001, 04:23 PM
We chose Schnauzers, but deff not for their temperment but for their personalities. Fifteen years ago we got a Schnauzer because our youngest daughter wanted one and Kona was so sweet and loving we decided to keep getting Schnauzers. In the meantime we found out that each Schnauzer is very different. Daisy has attitude, independent, I don't care what you want I care what I want, I don't like the cold, and I sleep in the big bed.
Perry is loving, wants kisses and hugs every five minutes, don't leave me home take me,
I want to be with Daisy, I adore Dad, Mom babies me, I like to sleep in my crate not the big bed.

Pam
10-13-2001, 05:00 PM
Well my story goes back a long time.....A co-worker had a poodle and couldn't stop singing their praises. She said they were very intelligent and didn't shed. I was newly married at the time and that sounded good to me, so Peaches came to live with us. :) She was a toy apricot poodle. The following year we got a little boy toy apricot poodle and named him Pumpkin. They were so special and loved each other just as if they were brother and sister and lived very long lives. In 1984 we brought a silver miniature poodle (Ashley) into our home and in 1986 we added a black standard poodle (Whitney). Today we have Bella (a cream standard poodle) and I think I will always love poodles the best. Sometimes you get so familiar with a particular breed and find that you are just drawn to them.

Actually I love all dogs and maybe some day will own another breed but for now it's been a poodle thing with me. I have a strong attraction to pugs and also adore several other breeds. Since becoming a part of Pet Talk I have learned so much about so many other breeds and it has really opened my eyes. Hubby remains a "poodle person" although he also has a great deal of admiration for german shepherds. All in all, I think all dogs are terrific!

yorkster
10-13-2001, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Logan:
<STRONG>I chose for temprament.....and I couldn't have chosen a better breed! I will always have a Golden Retriever or a Lab, just because I love BIG, loving dogs....but the next one will be a rescue, for sure.

I'm transporting another one tomorrow....long, long drive, but it is for the benefit of a dear friend. He's going from Winston Salem, NC to Dallas, TX....isn't he going to be loved when he gets there????

I'll share pictures when I get them.

Logan</STRONG>

Wow Logan, now that is dedication! What a great and kind service you are providing. I love Goldens also- had two of them growing up. Other than that I absolutely love German Shepherds too. Had one 12 years ago, and what good dog he was. They are so regal looking. The dog I have now, (B.Collie/Black Lab mix), she chose me- walked in to 'look' at the dogs at a local shelter, and she stole my heart!

AngieS
10-13-2001, 05:17 PM
I have a Boxer.
I love this breed for many reasons.
They have a great temperment.
They are beautiful dogs(all colors-fawn,brindle,white). Very friendly.
They are very smart and learn quickly.
Good guard dogs. Great with children of all ages.Low maintenance (as in coat grooming). And so many more reasons(This is just a few).

Daisy's Mom
10-13-2001, 06:42 PM
My family chose the Basset Hound, and I am very happy that we did! I had always thought they were adorable... I love the wrinkles, the droopy EVERYTHING, the long velvety ears, and the stubby crooked little legs. My mother, who was never a huge dog lover, was always rather firm, saying that if we ever got a dog, she wanted a Basset, because they are one of the only breeds who she felt got cuter as they got older! Then one day, we met a very big, very pregnant Basset named Snuffles, and the rest is history! Now that I have a Basset I have no need to ever get another breed. I am sure I will, but I will try to always also have a Basset. They're sweet, they're adorable, they aren't too hyper, and they're funny... what more could you want? ;) I just love these droopy faces!

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/032/tE/vG/tk/Ix65292.jpg

aly
10-13-2001, 08:14 PM
Golden Smiles - Simply put, Reece has the BEST personality I could ask for. I seriously could not think of ONE thing to improve about this dog. He loves all people, he loves all animals, he's gentle, compassionate, sweet, loving, cuddly, soft, loyal, and intelligent. He is a joy to train because he aims to please. He looks at me so hard while we're in our training sessions, and concentrates on my every word. One woman in our obedience class came up to me after class one time and said it looked like he was actually understanding every word I said to him. When he's about to get into trouble, I only have to say his name or give him a look and he'll stop dead in his tracks. He loooooves to be held and will sit up and cross his paws while in my arms. Oh I could just go on and on all day.

He weighed 7 or 8 lbs when I got him, but he has put on a few pounds since then (March). He's 11 inches high so he's a small miniature.

(I just emailed you, let me know if you get it).

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

ilovehounds
10-14-2001, 10:44 AM
I chose the houndies because they just fit into my lifestyle.

I wanted a dog that loved the outdoors, walks in the forest and fields, I wanted a shorthaired dog, I wanted a challenge a dog that had lots of personality, energy and individuality, I wanted a strong, smart dog one that was game for anything.
I had always had a soft spot for hounds with beagles being my favorite so when I finally talked my parents into letting me get a dog I didn't have to think twice about the breed.

http://wsphotofews.excite.com/008/4m/CK/St/8T76352.jpg

I will always have a hound, I can't imagine life without one. Someday I hope to have a pure bred beagle if one comes up for rescue or adoption.

*LabLoverKEB*
10-14-2001, 02:34 PM
WOW!!! I didn't expect many replies!! ;) :rolleyes: Thanks everybody!!

LabLover & Sadie*

kobieeli
10-14-2001, 09:36 PM
We didn't choose Kobie; Kobie chose us when she flashed her sad-eyed look through the shelter fence! But her breed ID (even though it was pretty far off-base--she was listed as Border Collie/GSD) matched what we were looking for: a medium sized, energetic, intelligent breed with low-maintenance grooming needs.

Then we got Eli with the same criteria in mind, although we also wanted a dog with lots of frisbee potential! (Boy did we get that... :D )

We love to travel and do active, outdoorsy stuff, so breeds that enjoy those activities were the main thing we wanted. Plus, I grew up with a Beagle and Paul grew up with Labs, so we wanted something different for our adult lives, something neither of us had had before... :)

crow_noir
10-15-2001, 01:39 AM
well, to start off w/ I chose Specs breed, the rat terrier when i was 14. it had been 11 years since i had a dog, and my life was so empty. one day there in the paper was one female for sale. $35 w/o papers. (for an extra fee we could get her papers.) it was the breed that my dad had always talked about having as a kid. i looked at it as an oppritunity. i gave the whole cute kid routine. and made deals. talked about how it wouldn't eat much. so, i chose the breed so i could simply have a dog. any dog.

then, Sudilar "said" it perfectly as to why i chose my favorite breed. (thank you!) i'm just lucky King happened to be one.

3-greys-and-a-mutt
10-15-2001, 07:21 AM
It was purely by accident that we adopted the greyhounds. Soon after I lost my cocker spaniel, Joe saw a minute-long blurb on the local news about a greyhound adoption group. We had been married only a couple months, but we knew that we would eventually get a dog (I was thinking another cocker and he was thinking beagle), especially after Freckles died.
Joe liked what he saw about greyhound adoption, and kept mentioning it. I wasn't ready, but decided to go to an adopt-a-thon with him. I had never even seen a greyhound in person before, and didn't know that they'd be so big (Santa's Little Helper on the Simpson's looks about the size of a whippet, so that's what I was expecting).
Well, the dogs won us over in a heartbeat, especially timid, nose-drippin' Paula.

I love the breed temperment so much! These dogs, though all so different in personality, completely suit my lifestyle! I plan to always have greyhounds in my home and in my heart!

Pup, of course, was not a chosen breed, since we found her. I love her demeanor towards people - so is so sweet and loves EVERYONE! Her only faults are her aggression towards other dogs, and the fact that she is rather, um, yappy. I don't know if these are breed traits for spitz types, or if it's just her nature. Things might be different with her if we had her from the time she was weaned.