PDA

View Full Version : I'm Taking The Train To Connecticut

moosmom
02-26-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi everyone!

Well, since I have all this time on my hands being unemployed and all, I've decided to take the train to CT for 10 days. I'm staying at my daughter's apartment for a few nights and then my best friend's condo (she's the one whose mom just passed). I'm going visiting, having dinner with friends and just chilling out. I hope this will cure the loneliness I get from not knowing anyone here. I really do miss my kid and friends. It'll be 6 months since I've seen them (except Sue and Amy).

I'm taking the train because airfares are outrageous. Being unemployed doesn't help. But I'm excited about the train. Never traveled such a long distance on one. It should be a real experience.

I leave March 6th and return March 16th. I'll be able to pop in from Sue's house since she has a computer. I also try and take pictures so you'll know who I'm talking about.

Can't wait!!!!

Cincy'sMom
02-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Sounds like fun, Donna! Have a safe trip!

jenluckenbach
02-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Have fun ! But, what about the kitties?!?!

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2003, 02:53 PM
You will be missed! (and I was still hoping to talk you into entering Moo in the Cat Show here next month!)

Have a wonderful time!

Randi
02-26-2003, 03:19 PM
That sounds like fun. I wish you a real nice trip! :) how many miles is it?

And - what about your cats??

ramanth
02-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Have and fun and safe trip Donna! :D

We'll get together again soon when the weather warms up. :)

HoRsELUvR
02-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Have a nice trip! I went on a train to New York, it's really nice.

lovemyshiba
02-26-2003, 04:03 PM
have a wonderful trip!!
I've never been on a train for a long period of time, sounds like fun!!
Tell us all the details when you come back!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow, sounds like a fun trip! And like you say, now that you're unemployed you might as well take a vacation since who knows when you'll get the time once you get a job again.

I took the train from Chicago to Denver for Thanksgiving once. I enjoyed it. I got one of the tiny little rooms they have. The porter was extra nice and was there whenever I needed anything (like the bed pulled down). I watched a movie in the entertainment car in the evening, read some, watched the scenery until it got dark, tried to sleep, and got to experience a taking a shower in a train moving at least 60 mph. It's hard to wash your hair when you're using both hands just to stand up. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Because I got the bunk/room, it wasn't a whole lot cheaper than flying would have been, but I like trains and have always wanted to travel this way, so I opted for the train. This was right after 9-11-01 (which had nothing to do with my decision to take the train-I do not have a fear of flying, and didn't then either) and the train was pretty packed. There was a mother with 3 boys aged something like 10, 5 and 2. She was very well dressed, as were the boys, and I'm sure she could have afforded to fly but opted for the "safer" train at that time. I think she regretted it because she looked rather haggard and I heard her say "Never again" under her breath. They did not get the room/bunk, and I think that would have been a godsend for her. I wouldn't have wanted to take those 3 boys on that packed train and spend all night with them there either - whew!

Anyway, I hope you have a great trip and enjoy your visits. Should be fun! :)

moosmom
02-26-2003, 05:39 PM
My kitties will be looked after by my friend Roxanne. She'll be staying in my apartment while I'm away.

It's 663 miles. I was going to drive but with the way the weather has been, I'd rather take the train.

Kim, you bet.

Sara, now that I'm not working I have to watch my pennies. It costs about $45 to enter him in a show. But...if I'm home on time, I can always go to the cat show as a spectator. How far are you from Detroit?? Maybe we can hook up. I would LOVE to meet Lady Edwina.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2003, 06:08 PM
Donna, I think Chicago is about 4 hours from Detroit - or is it 6. Let me check. Terry goes that way all the time.....

According to Streets & Trips it's 4 hours and 48 minutes from Detroit MI to Chicago IL, so that means it's really about 4 hours. It would be great if you could come over for it. We'll miss meeting Moo, but we'd be happy to meet you! :)

Karen
02-26-2003, 06:28 PM
Where in Connecticut will you be? I suppose the train won't detour you through Boston or anything like a flight might ... the trains run so close to where I work that our desk rattle a little when the freights go by! :)

RICHARD
02-26-2003, 06:39 PM
I'm Taking The Train To Connecticut

Have fun and remember if you take the train to CT,
bring it back, other people may want to use it;)

delidog
02-26-2003, 06:40 PM
Yes...Have a Great Time!!!!!!

where in Conn. are you going????

jenluckenbach
02-26-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

I wish my mind would work this quickly!:D GOOD ONE

TheAntiPam
02-26-2003, 07:18 PM
Here are some tips that helped me when I took the train from Los Angeles to Albuquerque - a GREAT trip!

To help save a bit of money on the trip, be sure and take some of your own snacks along. Although meals and snacks are available, they are fairly high priced.

You might want to take a pillow along if you are riding in a regular seat. Also, you might take slippers along - so you can take your shoes or boots off. On some (all?) trains for long distance, the seats recline, and may even have a foot rest like a recliner chair. Makes for a comfortable nap!

Have a great time - don't miss your sweeties too much!

NoahsMommy
02-26-2003, 07:24 PM
That sounds wonderful!! I hope you have a very nice time. :)

I love the train...its very relaxing and the views are gorgeous!

Nomilynn
02-27-2003, 12:34 AM
Have a great trip!! :D

Ann
02-27-2003, 06:11 AM
Have a good time and a fun train ride :)

Vio&Juni
02-27-2003, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I'm Taking The Train To Connecticut

:D :D :D
Have fun!
I studied in Romania for 5 years and used to take the train home every month. Although it's not far (400km), the trip was long, mainly because they have to change the wheels. We have the wide railroad, like in Russia, Romania has the European standard. It's quite an experience! But, after 5 years of this, is getting a little too exhausting! Still, I like to travel by train if it's not too often :) I went once to Hungary by train, a Romanian train. Newer than the Moldovan one, but it was impossible to sleep in it :( Next times I took the plane :)

Tanya&Fritz
02-27-2003, 07:14 AM
Have a great time!

anna_66
02-27-2003, 07:16 AM
Sounds like just what you need to cheer you up:D

I have never traveled by train, but I think it would be a really neat experience.

Hope you have a wonderful visit with your friends! And we do expect pictures, I'm glad you knew that:p

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-27-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
the trip was long, mainly because they have to change the wheels.

Wow! They actually change the wheels??!!? :rolleyes: Seems like it would be easier to just make everyone get off and get back on a car that had the correct wheels. Gee, I never heard of this.

But I do know the Europeans know a lot more about trains than we Americans do. That's one of the things I love about visiting Europe. When Terry and I were in Switzerland on vacation, we had a pass that let us go anywhere in Switzerland on the train, and we used it everyday. It got to the point where the one day we decided to take the car, we started wondering what were we thinking because the train is so much easier. Of course it helped that the train stop was just right up the hill from where we were staying.

Vio&Juni
02-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Actually, you don't even realize why you're spending so much time at the border. They have a very good system for changing the wheels.
I think, the wider road is much better, the train doesn't shake so badly.

All Creatures Great And Small
02-27-2003, 11:59 AM
I am SO JEALOUS! :D It has been an unfulfilled dream of mine to take a long-distance Amtrak trip in one of those little bedroom-thingies! I looked into it years ago and it was just too expensive for me :( . I don't know if I'd want to go coach and sleep in my chair though - could be pretty embarrassing ;) :o when I start snoring, talking in my sleep, God knows what else :D!

I took a train from Cambridge to London when I was visiting my sister in England, so that was pretty fun, and I have taken the Amtrak just from one side of Wisconsin to the other. Sigh....

I'm trying to get the 15th off of work so I can go to the Pet Show in Arlington Heights, but I have to find someone to switch shifts with. If we go, we're taking the Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago and then the Metra from Chicago to Arlington Heights, to satisfy my train fetish. ;) :D

moosmom
02-27-2003, 12:03 PM
My friend Chris who booked the trip has been giving me tips on travelling. She told me it would be alot cheaper to pack snacks, sandwiches and drinks on my own. She also said to bring a pillow and a small blanket, because the time I'm travelling is in the middle of the night and I'll want to sleep, seeing as the seats DO recline. Fine with me :D . I wish I could bring Moo with me though. I'll really miss him and his antics, not to mention someone warm and cuddly to sleep next to at night. I could sleep with my daughter's cat but she hates me :( Oh well, her loss.

All Creatures Great And Small
02-27-2003, 12:15 PM
You know, I've noticed that most of the Amtrak trains go through some really pretty scenic areas in the dead of night - I guess they can't really schedule them any other way. Whenever I thought of taking the train somewhere fun, the timetable would have me arriving at the station at 3 AM and wondering how/where to get a rental car :eek: :confused:. I guess it's because all the trains have to leave Chicago at the same time in the evening so everyone can make their connections. How long of a trip is it from Detroit to CT, and what time does your train leave?

lynnestankard
02-27-2003, 12:36 PM
I love travelling on trains - so you have a lovely trip Donna. We'll miss you, so pics., on return would be nice!!

I regularly take the train from Manchester down to visit my friend who lives down in South Wales (ChrisH lives in North Wales).
It takes about 4 and a half hours and I just love it. Take my own snack and drink and a good book and a crossword and just settle down to people watch!!!! I always find someone to chat to and the trip passes so quickly - when I get there I'm thoroughly relaxed and ready for a good time!!

Lynne

moosmom
02-27-2003, 05:36 PM
It takes about 12 hours. I'll be travelling in the middle of the night so I'll probably sleep most of the way. I'm definitely taking lots of pictures and will post them when I get back.

I have to take a bus to Toledo and catch the train there. From there it's onto Springfield, Mass. and I arrive in Hartford at about 5 p.m. I'm so excited!!!

Vermontcat
02-27-2003, 09:43 PM
Have a nice trip Moosmom! We would love to see photos when you can post them.:)

marysmerrycats
03-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Donna
have a great trip! I bet you will like the train , I have taken the train before and I enjoyed it.:)