PDA

View Full Version : Nippy pup -help

slleipnir
02-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Zeke is CONSTANTLY nipping or biting Jo. She does like to play with him, however, not ALL the time. She can't go outside for a pee or whatever without Zeke at her. I have no idea what to do. I tell him to stop, and he goes right back at it. She even yelps sometimes cause he bites at her so hard. The most she does is snap at him and growl, but that doesn't even stop him. I just let her out to use the bathroom, then let him out but still..any sugestions?? Thanks

robinh
02-26-2003, 10:13 AM
I will be interested to hear any suggestions about this. I have a female pup that nips at all three of the other dogs constantly. We've tried to get her to stop, but she's not listening. My son has a male that does the same to their female to the point he gets frustrated about how to stop it. We've both tried gently pulling them away, distracting them, confining them (kenneling) from the other dogs; but nothing works.

primabella
02-26-2003, 02:46 PM
mickey is starting to nip at my heels. :rolleyes:

i found an article on the net but it relates more to a dog nipping at a persons' heels. maybe it will work with jo too. good luck :)

Question:
How do I stop my puppy from nipping?
Answer:
Until your pup is housetrained and trained to be mannerly with people, it is advisable to keep him on a 6 foot leash when you are supervising him in your home. This way he can't run about and get in trouble urinating or defecating in the house or chewing up your things, and you have an effective way of controlling him.

You can hold the leash or step on it as you watch TV or sit at your computer. Otherwise, the leash should be tied to a stable object. In either case, be sure to provide your pup with a well stuffed (with tasty food) chewtoy so he is busy doing something positive.

If your puppy nips you simply step on the leash or use it to gently hold your pup away from you as a time out. Wait about 5-10 seconds and then try to calmly interact with your pup again. Don't be surprised if this takes a good number of repetitions to be effective. Nipping is a normal and deeply instinctual puppy behavior. So, it may take a bit of time for your pup to learn it is inappropriate with people. But, letting your pup know that nipping means he loses access to you and everything else he wants is the most effective way to solve this problem.

from petmate

lovemyshiba
02-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Abbey is a nipper too--but she's not a pup (she's over a year). I would be interested in hearing more replies too!!

joycenalex
02-27-2003, 06:47 AM
how old is zeke? how is old is jo? has zeke been doing the nippy thing all along or is this a new/recent behavior? between the 2 of them, who is the alpha? what did the vet say about this behavior?
alex the wonder dog was a teenage brat , and after he'd gotten his adult teeth and had plenty of chew toys, he decided that nipping humans was fun. i got a soft cloth muzzle to put on him when he got nippy, and in a very short time, it worked. if he got excited and started playnipping, all i had to do was hold the muzzle up, and the behavior would stop. i only used the muzzle in the house and only when he was in the room with me, he never ever wore it for more then a few minutes at a time. i haven't had to use the muzzle for years and the behavior stopped. hope this helps, joyce