PDA

View Full Version : Minion has been sick :(

AdoreMyDogs
02-26-2003, 06:51 AM
For the last 2 days he's been throwing up often...and not hairballs, but food. I am actually fasting him this morning and he's NOT happy about that :( Poor guy. He threw up on my brand new down comforter last night :( And all over my bed yesterday while I was at work. Today he is going to be confined.

I was trying to think about what on earth was making him so sick. He had not gotten into anything, he is acting pretty normal and playful, despite the vomiting, and he seems quite normal. I have been racking my brain trying to figure out why so suddenly he started vomiting up everything in his stomach...until I just realized that two days ago I put Advantage on him because I put the first dose in several months on the dogs. They often go to parks where other dogs hang out, and it was just a preventitive.

So...I think that the Advantage is making him sick. It's basically ever since I put it on him that he's been throwing up all over the place. I hope it goes away soon, and I will not use it on him again :( I still have two more doses left for him, but I am going to just do the dogs from now on, unless I actually get a flea outbreak, which I have never had before, so I doubt that will happen.

Has anyone else had any problems with Advantage or Fronline monthly flea preventitive with their kitties? I am going to call my vet today and see if they recomend anything to ease his sickness. My poor little sickie :( I just hope it does not get any worse!

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2003, 07:38 AM
From the sounds of things it seems that Minion might have received too much Advantage. The vomiting should pass in a couple of days (as long as he is able to keep water down), if it doesn't please take him to the vet to check things out. The next time you want to treat Minion for fleas you will need to give him a smaller dose of flea treatment.

AdoreMyDogs
02-26-2003, 08:51 AM
But the package was perscribed by his vet, and it was the correct weight dosage on the package. I don't even think I will be able to give it to him again, but if I ever absolutely needed to because of a flea outbreak, then I'll just use 1/2 or so of the little tube instead of the whole thing. Thanks :)

emily_the_spoiled
02-26-2003, 08:56 AM
The packaging may have indicated that it was the correct dose for Minion. But like humans, some animals are more sensitive to medication than others. If the Advantage was applied on bare skin (versus through the cat hair), he may have taken in more than usual.

You might want to try a dose of Frontline to see if he has the same problem. Otherwise, you are right to consider decreasing the dose (especially if he is an indoor only cat).

Good luck :)

jenluckenbach
02-26-2003, 02:32 PM
Poor sweet Minion. I am sorry to hear you are sick.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-26-2003, 03:11 PM
Oh no! Minion, I sure hope you're feeling better soon. We don't need anymore sick kitties around here. :(

I would think it would be the Advantage, too, but if he doesn't stop throwing up soon I'd take him to the vet pronto - just to be sure.

Randi
02-26-2003, 03:36 PM
Poor little Minion. :( I hope he gets better very soon!

I'm using Advantage for Fister as he's allowed out every now and then. I get it in a pack of 4 pipettes (0,8 mg each) but only use a few drops on his neck - where he can't lick it off - about once a month. What is left on my finger, I smear on the top of his tale. I find it sufficient and one pipette lasts for 4 times! ;)

AdoreMyDogs
02-26-2003, 04:21 PM
I'm off to the vets with Min :( The vet tech told me to feed him a bit after work and I gave him maybe 1/4 of what I normally give him, he ate 1/2 of it, and half hour later he threw it all up :(

Wish us luck...I wish I never gave him that Advantage :(

Cinder & Smoke
02-26-2003, 04:32 PM
Uhh-Oohhhh.... :(

Those dreaded words ~ Off to the :eek: VET!

Hang in there Minion -
We all hope it's a *Quick Fix*!

{{{Huggz}}} to You and MeowMee! ;)

wolflady
02-26-2003, 04:40 PM
Poor Minion! I sure hope he gets to feeling better. Being pukey sick is just no fun!!
Do let us know what the vet says. I'm inclined to think he was one of those "sensitive" types and had a bad reaction to the Advantage.
Give him some lovins and scritchies for me! I hope he can keep his food down soon!

Cataholic
02-26-2003, 05:21 PM
Oh, Minion, feel better soon! Nothing advantageous about the advantage, is there? Looking for an update soon!!! Hugs and kisses.

ChrisH
02-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Poor Minion :( hope he is going to better soon.

hugs
chris

Cinder & Smoke
02-26-2003, 09:05 PM
Been a long time without any news...

Hope Minion is OK...

Maybe there was a long line at the White Coats...

Gettin ready to grab the Prayer Line again...

AdoreMyDogs
02-26-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Poor Minion! I sure hope he gets to feeling better. Being pukey sick is just no fun!!
Do let us know what the vet says. I'm inclined to think he was one of those "sensitive" types and had a bad reaction to the Advantage.
Give him some lovins and scritchies for me! I hope he can keep his food down soon!

Min is doing OK for now, but he has not eaten much today. The vet said that we should go the conservative route for the time being, and if he does not show improvement by Friday, then I'll take him back for complete blood work, x-ray & possible upper GI tests. I am hoping that he shakes out of this and he gets better. I think he'll be fine :)

They gave him sub cue fluids to help with possible dehydration and he had this huge, cold, swolen bubble of liquid under his skin around his shoulderblades and the big bubble of liquid sort of migrated down his leg, so now he has a huge pocket of liquid that jiggles when he moves. His leg kind of reminds me of a sumo wrestler, since it's all swolen and flabby looking from the fluids. They also took his temp and it was slightly elivated. They gave him an injection of anti nautious drugs, and I am to give him a dose every 8 hours for a couple of days. Tomorrow I will try feeding him 1/2 hour after I medicate him and hopefully he'll hold down his breakfast. If he holds it down, then I'll give him some more after his 2nd dose of meds after I get home from work tomorrow.

He was a very good boy and all the techs that were there tonight commented on how handsome and well behaved he was :) The vet was also surprised that he was so mellow. He's such a good boy and a very good patient :) I love him so, so much, I get teary eyed thinking about him being sick.

Thanks for the well wishes. Min and I appreciate it.

Love and head bumpies from Leslie & Minion

kimlovescats
02-26-2003, 10:22 PM
I hope Minion continues to improve! Give him a hug from me, and please let us know how he is tomorrow!!!

krazyaboutkatz
02-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Oh poor Minion. :( Please get better soon. We don't need any more sick pets here at Pet Talk. I use advantage on my cats every month and they're indoor only cats too. I use it because I've had a flea outbreak before and never want to go through this again. The only problems that I've had is that Sunny and Storm have become irritated and lost some fur in the area where I applied the advantage. This only happened one time. I'm also using the large dog kind and measuring it for large cats. This way I save money. The vet said the formula is the same for both cats and dogs. Good luck. Please keep us updated on Minion's condition.

AdoreMyDogs
02-27-2003, 06:51 AM
He threw up the tiny bit if food that he got this morning again :( That's 3 days now that he's not kept anything down. I am getting really worried about him :( The anti nausia meds seem not to work for my dear little Min :(

ChrisH
02-27-2003, 07:28 AM
I am so sorry hear that Minion threw up again despite the medication. :( Poor baby, I would be worried too.

I found this on the web earlier
Pets and flea contol products (http://www.thepetcenter.com/wai/poi_AFandT.html)
Although I know this is not strictly relevant to what is happening with Minion, (as the vet actually prescribed the Advantage and amount to use) it does seem to me as though having had the flea product used on him is the basis of what is wrong. Does the vet not think there is a connection also?

Prayers and postive thoughts for Minion redoubled.

Hugs
chris

Barbara
02-27-2003, 07:30 AM
Oh poor boy Minion.
How does he behave? Is he playing? Sleeping more than usual? Does he want to cuddle?

If he is not fine in his general behavior I would take not wait til Friday to see the vet again.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-27-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm so sorry to hear the meds are not working for Minion. :(

I know nothing about flea products since T & P have never had a problem, but if this is something you put on him, what about giving him a bath to get it off of him? I guess I'm thinking that if the Advantage is causing the problem and it's still there, it would continue to cause the problem until it was gone. Like I say, I know nothing about these things, but I thought a suggestion might help.

I think the fluids were good for him because if he's throwing up, he could very well become dehydrated, and that leads to all sorts of other problems.

Knowing what KAK went through with poor Pepper, and that all started with Pepper throwing up, I don't know if I'd wait to take him back either. Maybe a second opinion from a different vet?

I sure hope he gets better soon. Hugs and smoochies to Minion for being such a good boy at the vet.

Logan
02-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Leslie, I can imagine that you are worried sick! I'm sorry I wasn't here to offer prayers for Minion before now, but we have been away.

Please keep us posted on your precious boy. I would imagine that if the Advantage is the culprit, it might take a while to get it out of his system. He might just be one in a million who has an adverse reaction.

We will keep him in our prayers, and you too!!!

Logan

Nomilynn
02-27-2003, 10:19 AM
Oh no!!! Prayers for a speedy recovery!!

krazyaboutkatz
02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Leslie, I'm so sorry that the meds aren't working. If he continues to throw up, I'd take him back to the vet or get a second opinion from another vet. Prayers are still on the way.

AdoreMyDogs
02-27-2003, 11:07 AM
He has an appointment tonight with a different vet. I have not taken any of my animals to this new vet yet, but my mom has used them and she really likes them there. Unfortunately, my husband has to take him because I have Search And Rescue (SAR) training with my dog tonight and if I want to stay in that SAR club, I really can't miss tonight. I am worried sick. He's probablly going to have to be hospitalized, but whatever it takes to make him better is fine, but I'll miss him terribly if he can't be with us in our home.

I am a little worried about something though. I don't want to sound like a bad kitty mom, but I chose not to vaccinate him when I adopted him off the streets. I took him in for a full blood screening, fecal checks, and full health exam, but I opted not to vaccinated him because I have a couple of friends here at work who's cats developed melignant melanomas from vaccines, so I opted to go the natural route and not vaccinate him, since he is strictly indoors. Now, the vet will not hospitalize any animals who have not been vaccinated, but they also don't vaccinate sick animals either, so I am a bit worried about how he will be treated. Hopefully if he needs to be hospitalized, they will either vaccinate him when he's well enough, or they'll just skip it and treat him for his illness, regardless of his lack of vaccinations.

Hope you all don't think I am a bad kitty mom for not vaccinating him. I did not do it for the money, I did it for the fear of him getting sick...and now I am in a bit of a pickle. Hopefully everything will be fine and I can have my healthy Minion back :(

Edwina's Secretary
02-27-2003, 11:23 AM
My mother lost a cat to vaccination sarcoma. So I spoke to the vets at the cat clinic where we take Edwina. Now they rotate the location of the shots and do other things to minimize the risk of thsi.

Just in case you decide to vaccinate!

TheAntiPam
02-27-2003, 11:49 AM
I understand that completely, Leslie - I have taken the same approach with my cat Winston. He is never ever out, never ever exposed to other cats. But if he needs to go to the vet, the whole picture changes.

Yet, since my Daisy (RB) also had the innoculation-induced sarcoma and had to be put down, I just didn't want to take a chance with Winston.

All that said, I'm sending lots of good wishes and prayers for Min and mom!

Karen
02-27-2003, 11:49 AM
Poor Minion, I hope he gets feeling better. Various human family members of mine are very sensitive to medications, and getting over a bad reaction to a medication can take longer than what it was supposed to cure in the first place! Sigh.

Hope he feels better soon, give him my sympathies. An upset tummy is just noooooo fun. Ear rubs from me for Minion - okay, and the poocies, too, and a hug for you!

wolflady
02-27-2003, 12:43 PM
{{{Leslie & Minion}}}

I sure hope he gets to feeling better soon! Please don't feel like you're a bad kitty mom because you chose not to vaccinate. In fact, I am in the same boat as you right now because of my last horrible experience at the Vet's for a routine booster on Marius! You can see what happened here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5889&highlight=reaction+to+routine+shots). It was just awful, and after that, I figured since both of my cats are indoor only...do they really need the boosters? Sure, I'll continue rabies, because it's required by law, but that other stuff I'm not so sure.
Do let us know how Minion is doing, and be sure to give him some lovins for me:)
**hugs**

emily_the_spoiled
02-27-2003, 01:28 PM
I am so sorry that Minion isn't doing any better. I hope that the visit this evening with the vet will give you some idea of what the problem is and how it can be cured.

P.S. You are not a "bad" meowmie. I have thought long and hard about vaccinating my cats because they are fully tested and indoor cats only. So it is a question that most of us debate at sometime or another.

Cinder & Smoke
02-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Leslie ~

Hope Vet #2 gets to the bottom of poor Minion's tummy upset.

Here's some info I found on the Bayer Animal Health Division web site...
Bayer/Advantage web site - Label page (http://www.nofleas.com/Advantage-Label.asp)

Active Ingredient in ADVANTAGE (Mfg by Bayer AG - the Asprin people)

Imidacloprid; 1-[(6-Chloro-3-pyridinyl) methyl]-N-nitro-2-imidazolidinimine = 9.1% be weight

Inert Ingredients = 90.9% by weight

Total = 100%
=====================

They also have a Phone Number
1-877-258-2280
that will get you or your Vet to a Vet Tech who can offer suggestions.

I called and got the following:

Advantage is NOT absorbed into the cat's skin or blood - it works by being carried over the cat's skin on the cat's normal skin OILS - all externally. The Imidacloprid then effects the nerves of the flea - but does not effect the cat or humans.

Other than cases of skin irratation - they claim no know adverse reactions. Test animals showed no reactions to ingesting the ingredients.

The material can be washed off the cat by using warm water and a Dish Detergent - which will remove the skin oils from the cat.

The Tech IS available to consult with your Vet.
The Tech suggested that Minion may very well have an illness or internal blockage not related to the Advantage - and suggested further testing, x-rays, or ultrasound should be considered.

I asked what might happen if Minion had licked Advantage off one of the Dogs...
Not Probable was the answer - the stuff tastes Really BAD to cats & dogs - and the normal reaction to licking it is a LOT of spitting and/or foaming at the mouth. Any resulting stomach upset would not last for several days.

After doing Google searches - I haven't found references to other pets suffering upsets or allergic reactions to Advantage.

Sorry this hasn't been of much help.
Prayers offered that the Vet can resolve poor Minion's problem today!

Hang in there, Minion!
We're all praying for ypu!

jenluckenbach
02-27-2003, 04:29 PM
I sure hope precious little Minion gets better soon. Has it been determined if it WAS the advantage, or maybe the timing was just coincidential.

on the vaccination subject, many years ago I too did not vaccinate regularly, and when a kitty became ill and needed to be hospitalized they had to put him in a quarrentine area, which turned out to be SOOOOOO much more expensive. I never took that chance again, and have been vaccinating regularly ever since. (even if I do belive it is a bit of a "racket")

AdoreMyDogs
02-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Thank you all so much! Min is having a sleepover at the vets tonight. I'll sure miss him in my bed, but Dan and I will invite the dogs to sleep with us tonight to help ease the pain of our Minion not being there. The vet told my husband that Min most likely has irritated intestines, and feeding him dry kibble is just irritating it more. The fact that I just gave him Advantage had absolutely no connection with his sickness, it was just a coincedence. She said that if that's what it is, then just time and soft food will help. He will be fed some soft food tonight and tomorrow and hopefully he'll keep it down. If he keeps it down, then I will have to get him some soft food until he completely heals, and at that point, I can slowly itroduce his crunchy kibble again.

Hopefully that'll do it. He was x-rayed and their x-ray machine was acting up a bit, so they are going to do more shots tomorrow at no charge, just to make sure they don't see any blockages in his wittow belly.

The new vet and the vet tech commented on what a nice cat Min was, and how well behaved and gentle he is. He gets so scared in the vets offices that he's pretty much scared stiff, and he hardly moves, which makes exams really easy for them!

I can't wait to have him in my arms again. I miss him already, but he's in good hands. Thanks for the wonderful advice and kind words, everyone :)

Love and headbumpies from Leslie & Minion

sasvermont
02-27-2003, 07:32 PM
Surely hope Minion gets better really soon. It would be much easier if they could talk to let you know what is going on with them.

Keep us posted. We will continue to say prayers and think positively.

Love,
SAS

slick
02-27-2003, 08:20 PM
So sorry to hear of Min :(

I sure do hope that things turn out OK. Max had an upset tummy for about 3 days last week and I fed him some soft food called Hill's Hypo-Allergenic. It's apparently really easy on the tummy. Never did find out the cause but he's OK now.

God, please look after our little Minion and give Leslie the strength to hang on until he is back safe and healthy!

luv

Miss Meow
02-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Leslie, I'm sorry I've missed this thread. I hope the vet finds the problem soon and Minion is his happy self again.

popcornbird
02-28-2003, 02:25 AM
Oh dear. :( Sorry I missed this thread. I'm so sorry to hear Minion is feeling under the weather. I just love that sweet kitty. I pray that he feels better soon and becomes the happy and healthy kitty he was before. Get well Minion!

tuxluvr
02-28-2003, 05:16 AM
Awww, that little grey tuxedo guy not well? So sorry and prayers that little Min will be on the mend soon. It's so hard to see them in pain, and they can't tell us, but you sure can see it in their eyes!

I had a bad vaccination experience with a cat once too (not Ritzy--different vet, different cat)...she was overmedicated by a too-high dose of vaccination and we nearly lost her - it was similar to Wolflady/Marius experience and I had to think long and hard about whether to vaccinate Ritz - I always watch carefully for the first two hours after the shot.

Since Ritz is indoor only, I have never had to do any flea treatments and, in fact, she doesn't even wear a flea collar....they also don't give her one of the shots because she isn't exposed to outside stuff.

It's obvious you are a VERY GOOD kitty meomie....don't think otherwise. We are all rooting for little Minion!

smokey the elder
02-28-2003, 08:00 AM
I hope Minion feels better. Unfortunately, digestive upsets often have no diagnostic cause (there's even a special word for it) but the symptoms hopefully can be treated. Smokey the Elder lost a lot of weight, yet had normal liver, kidney, sugar, etc. We fed her a bland diet, gave her cimetidine (antacid) and she got better after awhile.

On the vaccination angle, at least one vet in the area is now offering three year distemper shots once a cat has had its kitten series. The next year, he can get a 3 year distemper and 3 year rabies. This will cut down the possiblity of VAS or other reactions. Also, the manufacturers are modifying the formulas. Often, it's the stuff other than the active vaccine ingredient that causes the reaction.

tatsxxx11
02-28-2003, 11:23 AM
Oh Leslie, I'm so sorry to hear that beautiful little Minion has not feeling well. Hopefully his little respite at the vets along with some soft food will do the trick. Poor little guy. What a brave patient he is. I hope that very soon he's home where he belongs, snuggling in the arms of his terrific Mom!! Get well soon, sweet Minon!! We're sending you our love and prayers!:){{{hugs}}}

tuxluvr
02-28-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
I hope Minion feels better. Unfortunately, digestive upsets often have no diagnostic cause (there's even a special word for it) ..

Is the word "idiopathic"? If so, it's the same one they used to diagnose my recent back spasm...symptoms with no known cause

ChrisH
02-28-2003, 12:25 PM
It`s good that the vet has ruled out a connection with the Advantage and they have come up with a diagnosis of what is wrong. Hopefully, he is already feeling a little better and once he is home and getting all the love and attention only you can give I am sure he will soon get back to full health.
Get well soon sweetie Minion, prayers and positive thoughts going out for you and your loving miowmie.

love and hugs
Chris

AdoreMyDogs
02-28-2003, 02:26 PM
Unfortunately they need to keep Min one more night (hopefully no more, though). He is not eating at all and they are having to force feed him, but it's stressful on him so they only feed him a teeny bit of Hills Prescription A/D watered down with water, so they have to do it frequentlly. If he continues to refuse food, and get sick whenever he eats he will have to have a stomach tube implanted :( I just hope it does not lead to that.

If all goes well, then Saturday I will pick my baby up. Thanks for the kind words. And thanks to whoever pitched in to give this thread a better raiting then poor, which some uncaring person did. I guess I have some people on PT who either don't like me, or don't like my cat.

emily_the_spoiled
02-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I am so sorry to read that Minion is still with the white coats. I really hope that he starts to eat/drink tonight. I understand how stressful it is on a meowmie when our babies are not feeling well. Please keep us posted on how he is doing.

I have found that there are a large number of people on PT who are very caring and concerned about our pets and their humans. Sorry you got one who wasn't:(

Cheryl, Emily and Tanner

NoahsMommy
02-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Poor Minion and Leslie. :(

You'll both be in my prayers for a solution and a speedy recovery. Are you able to visit him while he's having his sleep over? Or do you think that would make him upset? Poor thing.

When I first took the cats to the vet, he said that shots (after their kitten shots) weren't necessary if they were indoors and healthy. He did mention that condition at the shot sites. I'll be asking for future vaccinations in different places, IF they really need them. So, don't feel bad. Minion is very much loved and taken care of, we know that.

God Bless!

Love, Kelly

jenluckenbach
02-28-2003, 03:04 PM
Poor Minion. Is it possible that the simple act of being at the vet could cause him to not eat so well. (boy, that was sure bad english;) ) I hope he realizes this is the best thing for him and to perk up fast so he can come home and collect some of these hugs.

jenluckenbach
02-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Don't let a poor rating get you down. Sometimes there are simple explainations for things, but we just can't see them. Maybe it was a slip of the fingers (I do that a million times a day). Or maybe it was meant to say that it was very bad that Minion was sick (not that the topic was poor)

catland
02-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Get well soon Minion.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Oh no, I sure hope Minion is ok. :( I didn't see 'til just now that it wasn't the Advantage that made him sick. I sure hope it's nothing serious, but two nights away from home.....poor Minion. :(

Come on Minion buddy, you need to eat so you can come back home to your mommy and daddy. (not to mention the other two beasts in the house ;) :))

Hugs to you, Leslie. Hang in there and I'm sure he'll be back home in no time. :)

Miss Meow
02-28-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
... And thanks to whoever pitched in to give this thread a better raiting then poor, which some uncaring person did. I guess I have some people on PT who either don't like me, or don't like my cat.

I find it bizarre that someone would rate a health thread as poor. Maybe he/she will materialise at some other time and explain via PM.

Can anyone rate a thread or do you have to post in order to add a rating???

Anyway, we are still thinking of you and Minion and hoping like mad that he starts eating {{{hug}}}

popcornbird
02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
And thanks to whoever pitched in to give this thread a better raiting then poor, which some uncaring person did. I guess I have some people on PT who either don't like me, or don't like my cat.

May Minion get well soon. I can't believe someone gave this thread a poor rating. :( I'm going to rate it up to boost its level.
How mean. :(

RockyRoad
02-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Oh no! I just saw this thread, and I'm so sorry about Minion. :( I hope he gets better.
Whoever gave this thread a bad rating is so mean. I'm sorry someone upset you like that. :(

Nomilynn
02-28-2003, 07:17 PM
I hope Minion gets better soon! And I hope whoever decided to rate this thread has the guts to PM you and apologise or explain :mad:

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2003, 01:39 AM
Leslie, I'm so sorry that Minion is still not eating. :( As many of you know , I went through this with my Pepper. I sure hope that the vet will be able to help Minion and find out whats wrong. It seems like when a cat doesn't eat or throws up a lot, then the problem is very hard to diagnose. I still don't know what caused my Pepper's problem. Please get well Minion and take care Leslie. I know he's in good hands. Prayers are still on the way for him and your family as well. I also hope that you find out who gave you a poor rating. That is such a heartless thing to do and it really makes me mad. :mad: Just so you know Leslie, I do care about Minion and all the other cats here at Pet Talk.

AdoreMyDogs
03-01-2003, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Prayers are still on the way for him and your family as well. I also hope that you find out who gave you a poor rating. That is such a heartless thing to do and it really makes me mad. :mad: Just so you know Leslie, I do care about Minion and all the other cats here at Pet Talk.

Thank you so much, and everyone who would not do such a heartless thing as to rate a health thread as poor. Of all the places to rate a thread poor, that was the worst choice, in my opinion. I am suffering with a broken heart and worried nerves through out my babies sickness, and my baby was stuck in a vet hospital for two nights being force fed food, and he was so terrified that he wouldn't even go to the bathroom. They had to stick a needle into his bladder to "decompress" him since he refused to use the litterbox.

Everyone in my family was suffering. The dogs even missed Min terribly, and both of them kept looking for him.

Anyway, I am glad that some people pitched in to rate the thread better, otherwise I was going to refrain from posting in this thread any longer. It really hurt my feelings. It was completely uncalled for, in my opinion.

Good news! Min is home with me again. I have been feeding him very small portions (just about a teaspoon) of Hills Perscription A/D mixed with water, and crumbeling 2-3 pieces of dry kibble into it. I am supposed to feed him several times during the day, but teeny portions each time to let his stomach heal. He is doing well with it sofar. He didn't vomit at the vets office and he has not vomited his breakfast. Eventually I can introduce his normal diet, but not for at least a few days. I have to slowly bring his dry kibble back into his diet of watered down A/D, until eventually he is eating his normal food again. I'll post a pic of him soon. I appreciate you all again. I am glad that I had some supporters, anyway :)

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-01-2003, 08:09 AM
Sorry... I have missed this thread until now... I will be sure to keep Minion in my prayers until he is in the clear...

He didn't vomit at the vets office and he has not vomited his breakfast

and this is such great news! Keep it up Minion... sending some HUGS and KISSES your way sweet kitty... hope your belly is felling 100% real soon!

I'll post a pic of him soon.

YES!!
Please do..:D

smokey the elder
03-01-2003, 08:39 AM
That's exactly what I had to do with Smokey. Feed her a teaspoon of A/D every two hours, around the clock, like a kitten! Fortunately this was only for three days. Then it was a tablespoon every 4 hours, etc. Within 2 weeks she was on her original diet and had recovered half a pound.

Good luck, and :mad: vibes to someone who would be cruel to someone whose cat is sick! Let me introduce you to a little concept called "karma."

ChrisH
03-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Yay, Minion is home!:) that is such good news! Keeping the prayers going for the gorgeous boy and you.

Anyway, I am glad that some people pitched in to rate the thread better, otherwise I was going to refrain from posting in this thread any longer. It really hurt my feelings. It was completely uncalled for, in my opinion.
Totally uncalled for and cruel.:mad: and I am still really mystified at why anyone would do such a thing. :confused:

I'll post a pic of him soon. I appreciate you all again. I am glad that I had some supporters, anyway
Looking forward to that pic! :) :) As for `some supporters`, you have a lot more than some Leslie, ignore the lone rater, all of us know what a loving and good meowmie (and dog mom too)you are!:)

love
chris

slick
03-01-2003, 12:57 PM
So glad Min is getting back to normal!! :D

Hugs and headbumpies are on their way to you all.....

Until I read this thread I didn't even know you could set a rating....shows you what I know! Now I know what all the stars are about...duh!!! You learn something every day....

Nomilynn
03-01-2003, 02:33 PM
Oh Minion - way to get better!!! I hope your recovery is speedy from here on!! :D

tatsxxx11
03-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Leslie, I am mortified and horrified that someone who claims to be an animal lover, would be so cruel and heartless. SHAME ON YOU!!!!! Please, dismiss miss that person for the despicable low life that they are. He or she is craving attention...so let's not give it to him/her! We love you dearly and each and every one of your furbabies; you MUST know that. I'm putting all of my love and positive energy into wishing a very speedy recovery for beautiful Minion. Prayers will continue and the love will NEVER stop. We love you Minion. Please get well soon.{{{hugs}}}

krazyaboutkatz
03-01-2003, 04:26 PM
I'm so glad to hear that Minion is now back home and able to keep his food down. :) Prayers are still on the way for a quick and full recovery.

lizbud
03-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Leslie,

Forgive me for not posting earlier.I've been in the hospital
since Monday evening for tests. I was sorry to hear that Minion
was so sick, but I'm glad to read your last post that he's started
to eat a little now.Best of luck to Minion. Hopefully, being home
will help him get better that much quicker. Hugs from Liz & Moki.

Steffi N
03-01-2003, 06:34 PM
I am glad to read that Minion is at home and doing better. I hope that he is all better soon.

Miss Meow
03-01-2003, 08:29 PM
What wonderful news that Minion is home! Your human and fur family must be so relieved :) We are still keeping whiskers crossed that he continues eating and his tummy mends.

emily_the_spoiled
03-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Hello Leslie,

I am so happy that Minion is back home :) :) :) :) It will nwo take a little while before he is back to normal, but at least he is in the right place now.

Congratulations on getting him back okay and we will keep our fingers and paws crossed that everything will continue well.

Cheryl, Emily and Tanner

AdoreMyDogs
03-02-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by lizbud
Leslie,

Forgive me for not posting earlier.I've been in the hospital
since Monday evening for tests. I was sorry to hear that Minion
was so sick, but I'm glad to read your last post that he's started
to eat a little now.Best of luck to Minion. Hopefully, being home
will help him get better that much quicker. Hugs from Liz & Moki.

I hope everything is OK with you, Liz.

Thanks to everyone who sent good vibes and prayers for my little angel. Sofar so good. No vomiting and he is eating well. He actually wants to ONLY eat the perscription A/D and he's not eating the watered down, crumbled up kibble at all. He's spoiled by the canned food! This is the same food that they had to force feed him at the vets office because he wouldn't touch it there! He was really frightened :( Poor guy. He's doing well and he wanted me to send you all some purrs, headbumpies & freshly made biscuts :)

Minion hanging with his brother, Graham:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pae0743512885bfd847ec434e9cf844dc/fc906722.jpg

Minion sez, "my tummie is all better...seee, look at it":
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pc233155f1e7baa64817bff8b1b44c257/fc9066f9.jpg

ChrisH
03-02-2003, 02:12 PM
Leslie, thanks for pics! It is wonderful to see Minion at home and reading that he is doing well.:)

Chris, Ebbs and Bob

RockyRoad
03-02-2003, 03:14 PM
Aww, I'm glad Minion is doing better and is back at home. Minion is such a cutie, and he was so brave to get through all of this.
Hugs and headbumpies,
Britt, Floppsy Lady, Sally, and the Bettas

krazyaboutkatz
03-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Way to go Minion!:D I'm so glad that he's doing better and feeling better too. :)

babolaypo65
03-02-2003, 09:50 PM
I feel as though i've just read the toughest saga! glad that your sweet minion is home!!! hope things keep improving!

aly
03-02-2003, 10:27 PM
Leslie! I'm sorry I've missed this thread until now. I am horrified that someone rated this thread as worst. I absolutely hate ratings and wish we didn't have them. All I have to say is to know you is to love you so whoever did that obviously doesn't know you and probably doesn't even regularly post.

I'm so glad your little Min boy is doing better. I think ths pic says it all :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/pc233155f1e7baa64817bff8b1b44c257/fc9066f9.jpg

Nomilynn
03-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Aww.. what cute pics!! So good to see Minion is doing better.

L. Wayne
03-03-2003, 06:33 AM
My Happy cat has been barfing up his regular food also. This has been going on for about a week now. I changed his diet to kitten chow, and the barfing has stopped. During this time of year, I am thinking that accumulated fur in their tummies could also be a factor for their barfing. Chris stared barfing about 2 weeks ago, until I gave him some hair-ball control food, and his barfing also stopped.

.........wayne0214

Logan
03-03-2003, 09:32 AM
I'm so glad to see the update on this post, Leslie, and know that Minion is back home where he belongs!!! The pictures are wonderful and he looks so happy in your house!!! (Who wouldn't be? :) )

As for the person who did the low rating....I am going to try and believe that it was a mistake. Doesn't seem to me that even the cruelest of people could have a problem with a post like this!!! You know we love you, Minion, Kersey and the smiling Graham a lot!!!! :)

Freckles
03-03-2003, 09:57 AM
Glad to see Minion is on the mend, but he needs to be:
How on earth can cats do this - front feet in the opposite direction from the back feet is normal, but with a half turn between?? :D :D

Barbara
03-03-2003, 10:55 AM
No idea how they do it but they only do it when they are feeling just purrfect:) :D :) :D :) :D . And to see this, dear Minion, makes us happy too:)

tatsxxx11
03-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Oh, what great news, Leslie!!:) Keep up the good work, little Minion! Such a precious furball! And doesn't the Grahamster look the best brother! The pictures were so sweet! I think Minion is a gumby cat!! Has he considered a stint with Cirque de Soleil??:D

rosethecopycat
03-03-2003, 04:29 PM
Good boy, Minion.

Keep up the good work, honey.

NoahsMommy
03-03-2003, 05:18 PM
You are a gorgeous guy! I'm so glad you are all better. :)

shais_mom
03-04-2003, 12:30 AM
Leslie, I am sorry to come in late, I just read this. I am glad he is feeling better.
Poor Sweetie, He is a lovely boy!!!
Liz, I am sorry to hear you were sick, hope you are ok.

L. Wayne
03-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Good for Minion, and I sincerely hope that his sickness is over.

I just now saw this thread. I was always under the assumption that the more stars that were attributed to a thead, the more educational, interesting, and/or entertaining it was. This is what I have believed since posting on the forum over a year ago. Am I wrong in this? I remember once spring when Tiger had a 3" piece of grass stuck in her nose passage, that the thread was annotated with 5 stars. I took it as a compliment, or are we talking about the same thing?

........wayne

AdoreMyDogs
03-04-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by L. Wayne
Good for Minion, and I sincerely hope that his sickness is over.

I just now saw this thread. I was always under the assumption that the more stars that were attributed to a thead, the more educational, interesting, and/or entertaining it was. This is what I have believed since posting on the forum over a year ago. Am I wrong in this? I remember once spring when Tiger had a 3" piece of grass stuck in her nose passage, that the thread was annotated with 5 stars. I took it as a compliment, or are we talking about the same thing?

........wayne

Yes, actually shortly after I posted about Min being sick, someone gave it a one star rating...indicating the lowest rating possible. The only reason it has more stars now is because some of my friends here were kind enough to pitch in to rate it better. I can't say I have never rated a thread with one star, as I have, but it was towards a member who was a real "piece of work". Some punk kid came here several months ago and was extremely rude to several of the members here and I gave his very pointless, insulting thread a one star rating. He upset me and several others. His threads were rude and insulting. He was eventually banned. It was just really poor judgement to have my thread about my sick cat rated poor for no reason. But I know that even though there are nasty people out there, they are WAY outweighed by the wonderful ones. I am not going to focus on the negative any longer because whoever it was who did that, does not need me to give them any more attention. They have no love in their heart.

Again thank you everyone.

Edwina's Secretary
03-04-2003, 10:45 AM
Leslie,

I am so glad Minion is feeling better. I have followed along and was so worried.

Please don't let the rating thing bother you. Frankly, I have no idea how it is done or what it means. It is really possible that someone as ignorant as I did it by mistake or experimentation! (Although I assure you it wasn't me. I stay away from the high tech things that I can mess up!)

Far better to assume the best about someone and be wrong than to assume the worst and be wrong!

A tickle under the chin to Minion!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-04-2003, 12:50 PM
I'm so happy Minion is doing better, and I loved the pictures of him - he's such a cutey....eeerrrrr...handsome I mean. ;) :) And I too would like to know how they do that twist around thing - that is a great picture! :)

marysmerrycats
03-05-2003, 12:31 AM
I just read this whole thread. poor baby! I'm glad Minion is better... no more problems?

ramanth
03-05-2003, 09:36 AM
*HUGS TO YOU AND MINION!*

I'm so happy he's doing better. Poor little guy. Give that gorgeous tummy a rub for me. :D

For good measure I tried to give the thread it's highest rating and it would not allow me too. :confused:

But what's important is that you know that people who are important to you are the ones that matter and we are happy that Minion is better. :)

L. Wayne
03-05-2003, 10:25 AM
Adore my Dogs; I have found that by ignoring such unkind posts, and notifying the others about doing the same, usually the offenders will leave. Don't react to them, because then you feed on thier rudness and give them power to continue their deeds. Of course we have an option to notify Karen about such posts also.

...........wayne

HayleyRosie
03-05-2003, 10:41 AM
How do you rate a thread?

Cinder & Smoke
03-05-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by HayleyRosie
How do you rate a thread?

How?

Scroll down to the BOTTOM / RIGHT corner of the post's page,
And find a Click & DropDown Box that's marked
Rate This Thread:

The available "Ratings" are from 5 (the Highest/BEST) to 1 (the lowest/worst).

Click on your choice, then punch the *go* button next to the box.

NOTE:
You can only "Vote" ONE Time -
and if you make a mistake :eek: in selecting your rating level -
you can NOT change it or vote again.
If you try to vote a second time - you'll see an error box with the message:
According to our records you have already voted on this thread.
Changing votes is not allowed.

HayleyRosie
03-05-2003, 11:13 AM
Thank you so much for the instructions.

tatsxxx11
03-05-2003, 03:54 PM
So happy to hear that little Minion is feeling better. Leslie!!:) Hugs to you sweetie!!

kimlovescats
03-05-2003, 11:41 PM
I am so glad that Minion is back home and showing great improvement! I can't wait to see that picture you've promised us! I'm not sure what the rating thing was all about, but we all love you and Minion, and are truly concerned for him!:)

Vio&Juni
03-06-2003, 06:14 AM
Oh, Minion is ok, very good news.

Cinder & Smoke
03-06-2003, 11:29 AM
Hey Minion ~

Glad yer feelin so much better!

Wonder if ya got *stressed* wiffa two Foster Dawggies runnin round yer howze?

And have ya *peeked* at yer Thread Rating of late?

Yer up to 4.76 - wiff 21 "Votes" cast...
That breaks down like this...
**19 "votes" of 5 points
** 1 "vote" of 4 points (musta taken 1 off fur spellin) :rolleyes:
** 1 "vote" of 1 point :mad:
-----------
*100 total points; divided by 21 "votes"
*Gives a new "average" of 4.76 = NOT BAD!!

:D