PDA

View Full Version : Fat Pouch

HayleyRosie
02-25-2003, 11:16 AM
Do any of your cats have a fat pouch? Many cats do have them. Some are so big that it swings from side to side when the cat walks. My friends cat has one but he is a fairly big cat. Wish I had a picture to post.

Glacier
02-25-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by HayleyRosie
Do any of your cats have a fat pouch? Many cats do have them. Some are so big that it swings from side to side when the cat walks. My friends cat has one but he is a fairly big cat. Wish I had a picture to post.

Polly Paws has one. It seemed to develop after she got spayed. She's a semi-feral who's slowly learning to be a house cat. I think she likes to keep some extra fat on her, just in case she ever goes hungry again.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-25-2003, 01:42 PM
Tubby has one too - one of those that "swings from side to side when the cat walks." :rolleyes: ;) :D

It really doesn't swing when he walks, just when he runs. And it is so funny to see him run with his tummy swinging. :D

He's really not a fat cat - not even really Tubby anymore since he's lost weight because of his kidney troubles, but he hasn't lost his little pouch at all. That's still there, just swingin' away. ;) :rolleyes: :D

Oh, and he's had it forever....probably started developing when he was about 1 1/2 or so.

02-25-2003, 01:44 PM
maya has it too , since she was "fixed" ...!

Edwina's Secretary
02-25-2003, 01:48 PM
Does it remind you of the song....

"Do your ears* hang low, do they wobble to and fro? Can you tie them in a knot, can you tie them in a bow? Can you swing them over your shoulder like a Continental soldier? Do your ears hang low?"

*in some versions of this song it is a different body part.

HayleyRosie
02-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Now that I think about it it does remind me of that song.

Do your pouch hang low? LOL

Barbara
02-25-2003, 02:12 PM
Sara: LOL! A pity you cannot sing it here.

A pouch: Even 7 lb Filou has a little one. And of course 13 lb Tigris has. Not to talk about others in this household.

I have to edit that. Or Siegmar (under 154 lb or 70 kg with 1,79m) will kill me.

tomkatzid
02-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Kelcee has one:( She used to weigh more and it didn't hang so low. Now she is older and thinner and it does hang way down there. She wouldn't let me tell you how low. In this pic. you can see it a bit. Poor girl it is white and that makes it much more noticable when its flopping back and forth as she runs.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid52/p076c47318e011ea6bfa843c23e65a83a/fc95ba39.jpg

Edwina's Secretary
02-25-2003, 03:36 PM
Here you can see Edwina's pouch. Her's is also white....

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid33/p5569058063f5c51667d1e8f80daea942/fd3b26d1.jpg

NoahsMommy
02-25-2003, 03:38 PM
This post is very timely....I'm planning on getting some wieght management food for Olivia because she has that pouch, but isn't fat. I thought it was the beginning of something...

Think I should wait on that special food???

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Here's Tubby's pouch. He just happens to have a white spot on his tummy right where the pouch is too. How embarrassing for him. :o I've taken some pretty awful pictures of him where his pouch is real obvious, but I always deleted them because I knew he would be mad at me for keeping such awful pictures. ;) :)

This one's not too bad. :)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid47/p25ad168cb084bcdd34e193e65bb6d428/fcc54209.jpg

He's pretty good at hiding it because here's another one where you can see it, but it really doesn't look that bad.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid48/p9a2d58ec7e72663e23af8314618f84b8/fcbac51d.jpg

2kitties
02-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Both my boys have the pooch. Rocky comes by his honestly- he's a big eater. But Taz is a slim and trim kitty- just has the pooch. I had read about how females get it after spay, I was surprised to learn that males had it too.

Taz would like me to say that he is quite jealous of Tubby's pooch. Something to work towards.:)

boscibo
02-25-2003, 09:07 PM
All my cats have the pouch - even Hanna, who is less than 9 months old. I don't think my cats are fat, but they certainly aren't skinny.

Pam
02-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Both of my boys have it too :o although it is actually more noticeable on Andy. Trevor is more heavily built all over and doesn't have much loose skin. I feed them Weight Control food but I think their problem may be lack of exercise. I have noticed the half dozen or so kitties that live or have lived in my neighborhood over the years who are inside/outside cats don't seem to have 'the pouch.' Perhaps lots of good romps outside chasing critters helps to keep the weight down or at least keeps them toned a little. :rolleyes:

krazyaboutkatz
02-26-2003, 12:14 AM
My boys have it too. Even Sunny who is quite long and thin because he's half aby. Both Sunny and Storm are quite active too. I'm not too worried about it. I guess it's similar to love handles in humans. :) There's more of them to love. :)

smokey the elder
02-26-2003, 07:31 AM
It seems reasonable that a female would have an "udder" because they are removing lots of parts when they spay her. I don't know why males get them.

You can see Smokey's pretty well in this pic.

HayleyRosie
02-26-2003, 09:04 AM
My husband's mother had a female cat with overactive sex hormones. Her boobs grew so big they would swing from side to side. This condition can be treated with medication. (The overactive hormones not the swinging!)

All Creatures Great And Small
02-26-2003, 10:15 AM
Well, mine doesn't really sway from side to side much, but it does shake when I laugh like a bowl full of jelly..........oh wait, you're talking about the CAT's fat pouches! My bad! :D :p ;) :p

ramanth
02-26-2003, 10:51 AM
Zam is starting to get a pouch.

Playing with it is a no no. ;) :D *laughs*

Edwina's Secretary
02-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Edwina and I were discussing her pouch last night. (She is very peeved that I posted a photo of it!)

She asked that I examine it and assure all of you that is is VERY furry and not really as big as it looks in the photo.....;) ;)

lynnestankard
02-26-2003, 11:57 AM
HE! HE! HE!

These are so funny and YES Bagel has 'swingy bits' too!! Hers also started to show when she'd been 'done'. Come to think of it Kisi (RB) also started to get 'swingy' when she'd had her op.,!!

Lynne

Nomilynn
02-26-2003, 09:47 PM
Bassett has a pouch, but Tilly and Nutmeg don't. Bassett got hers after she was spayed, and I think they cut some muscle. Tilly and Nutmeg, though, didn't have any problems after their spay and they are both very active and in good shape. Bassett is a bit "fluffy" :D

kimlovescats
02-26-2003, 09:56 PM
My kitties have them too .... especially the females. I do think it may be related to spaying / neutering .... I know that I've have a pouch ever since I was "spayed" as well! :eek:

Oh well!!! :D

catland
02-27-2003, 10:54 AM
I used to think is was related to being spayed, but my boys have bigger pouches than the little girl. Also, while Joxer seems to be leaner than Sidney, he seems to have a bigger pouch.

slick
02-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Yes, Speckles has a pouch too! It's quite pronounced when she runs and you can see it swinging from side to side! Too funny! You can see how fat she is----well, not fat, but "full-figured" :D

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid53/p8759d8a05bd78006e21fe34e655f6112/fc936a42.jpg

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Awww... Speckles, how I wish I could reach in and give you a nice tummy rub. I see you like to air out your tummy too, just like brother Max. :) Although with the front paws curled in, this is also known as the "working the room" pose, which tends to result in many treats being dispensed for being so cute. You seem to have the pose down pat so maybe that's why....

....ewes not fat, ewes fluffy. :D

smokey the elder
02-28-2003, 08:15 AM
I just noticed that both of my males, Tictac and Buddy, have "udders." Now whyintheheck would a BOY kitty have this??:confused: :p