PDA

View Full Version : Drugs are no joke!!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-24-2003, 09:08 PM
I am having a pretty rotten day so far. I found out that an old friend died from a drug overdose. I guess he died Friday... the viewing was today. I didn't really want to post anything here but I am at work and it is just too hard to hold all these feelings inside. My mom called me this morning and told me and no one was real sure what was the cause of death at that time. My friend called me and told me that she saw my mom at the viewing and told me what happened to him..... her husband and him were real close to him. His name was Chris and he was in rehab for being addicted to heroine. Chris called his girlfriend (i guess) Friday night and told her that he was craving the drug and wanted to do some. Cali told him to go to his counselor and talk to her. He called her back and told her the counselor told him it was all in his head and to go back home.... (the rehab patients are issued apartments by the rehab place). Cali told him not to do it that he would be messing up. Him and one of his roomates (he had two roomates) went into the city and bought some heroine.. and the third roomate came home and found them both dead. I am so upset by this... I know this is a controversial topic but I have seen too many families hurt by drugs and a lot of young people don't understand how dangerous drugs can be. I know heroine is a pretty harsh drug but I have seen lives ruined by pot and other drugs too. I am just so upset. Sunday morning our pastor was preaching on the same thing as this... he was saying how important is that next drink or next toke?!? No drug on the Earth is so important that it is worth losing your life! I only wish someone was there that night to remind my friend of that! I am so upset because he was crying out for help and NO ONE helped him. I can't believe they sat in that apartment and died! And the sorry dog that sold it to them!!!!! Those dealers are so SORRY!!!! My mom said that he was about to get his 90 day token for being clean for 90 days!. I hope I don't upset anyone for posting this but I can't hold it in any longer. I am so sad.:(

Desert Arabian
02-24-2003, 09:21 PM
:( :( Oh my, I am so sorry!!!!!! I am not in any way mad/offendd by you posting this. :( :(

Speaking of drugs...during 4th hour today at school, Police came and arrested 2 students for having a dime of pot. Both will be expelled from the school district. Goes to show what drugs do for your education. :o

I have never tried drugs or cigarettes...and never will. I think both are sick and nasty! Plus, I have asthma from second-hand smoke. :(

Fuzzy317
02-24-2003, 09:22 PM
I am sorry about your friend. :(

I have been lucky that I haven't had anyone close die in that way. I hope his family and friends are getting some counseling to be able to deal with his death.

We are all here if you need someone to talk to, we are all one big family. Post here, email or PM if you would like.

Karen
02-24-2003, 09:59 PM
We are so sorry for your friend and all who knew him, including you. Please know we are here for you, now go hug those kitties, okay? A purring bundle of fur is a far better "high" in my opinion.

micki76
02-24-2003, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I know what heroin can do. One of the smartest of my friends uses. I haven't seen her in years. I'm so sorry about your friend. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-24-2003, 10:47 PM
Thanks so much everyone. This has been one of the hardest things to deal with. (sometimes it makes it feel better if you can just talk and get your feelings out) The more I think about it the angrier I get. Life is so fragile and in an instant it can be gone. I know this sounds childish but LIFE IS NOT FAIR! He was doing so good! Why did the counselor and his girlfriend not help him!?!?:mad: :( :( :(

Fuzzy317
02-24-2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
...Why did the counselor and his girlfriend not help him!?!?:(

Some people are very good about putting up fronts that look okay to the outside world. It can be very hard to see to the real person. Maybe his outward image was that everything was fine, so no one thought otherwise. :(

Nomilynn
02-25-2003, 12:39 AM
I'm very sorry about your friend. It's sad that drugs can consume people that way. You will be in my prayers :(

Edit - this link is to a poem I read way back in grade nine. It really was powerful. I won't post the poem, so if it's too tough to read you don't have to, but it really stuck in my mind. I don't know if I believe the part at the end about "who wrote it" but it's the poem that does the talking for me.. when I read it it was signed "annonymous" and called "Black Tar"

http://www.wowzone.com/heroin.htm

shais_mom
02-25-2003, 12:43 AM
I am sorry to hear about your friend, how sad.
I am not offended either, some things NEED to be brought up. I have never done drugs either have no desire to, never did have the desire to, but I am one of few, I know. If you need to 'vent' for lack of a better term, please don't hesitate to email or PM me.

LoudLou
02-25-2003, 03:53 AM
Sara~

I feel for you. I send you Hugs and Prayers, and feel free to Pm me and "Vent" if you to also. I have been on both sides of this issue. Drugs WILL ruin not only your life, but the Lives of everyone you touch. I lost a great career in the Music Industry because of drugs. I have now been Sober for 12 years. I have a great Husband and I'm back in the music industry although not at all where I thought I'd be. I'm much happier.....
Someone in a earlier post mentioned "Fronts"... perhaps your friend was able to put up a good "Cover" and his counselor and girlfriend couldn't see through it.... I know that's not much comfort but as an "addict" (Although Sober, I will always be one) you learn to "Cover & Hide" your emotions and feelings. I'm sure you'll go through the pain of wishing there was something you could have done or said to your friend to have prevented this, that's natural, unfortunately in the mind of an addict it is a constant struggle... you know the drug KILLS but it has such a tight grip on you and your world sometimes its hard to let go. It's painful to watch someone you love and care about "Throw away their Life". I am always saddend to hear about someone reaching out to a counselor or therapist only to not recieve the help they need.

I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. Hugs and Prayers upon you and the rest of his family and friends.

I'm here if you need me.

Katie

Cookiebaker
02-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Life is so fragile...it is so hard to believe that his COUNSELOR would turn his back...:( I'm so sorry...

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-25-2003, 06:25 AM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

Pam
02-25-2003, 08:01 AM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. Drugs take so many young lives and it is such a waste. I have never taken drugs or had even the slightest desire, thank God. I remember thinking back when they were running the Anti-Drug commercial, using the egg "This is you brain. This is your brain on drugs" (and then the egg was frying.) I remember thinking that was a very inadequate way to describe the horror of what those on drugs go through. I think a much more graphic portrayal of someone going through drug withdrawal would have done so much more to deter these kids from getting involved in the first place. I know years ago I watched a TV program on addicts and they did show such a thing. I will never get that out of my head. :( {{{hugs to you}}}

ramanth
02-25-2003, 09:37 AM
So sorry to hear about your friend. :(

moosmom
02-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Sara,

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. That poem has a very powerful message. But it speaks the truth. Thank you for sharing it.

As far as the girlfriend and counselor not intervening, they are both COWARDS!!! I believe the counselor should be reported. Your friend was crying out for help and didn't get it. It's too bad that it had to come down to this.

Hang in there and know we're here for you.

catland
02-25-2003, 10:36 AM
I'm very sorry that you lost your friend.

marysmerrycats
02-25-2003, 10:46 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. what a tragic thing to have happen.
I agree that the counselor should be reported, that was just horrid of the guy to ignore your friend!

CountryWolf07
02-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Oh wow. I am very sorry for your loss.. but lessons learned.. that teaches us something.. about drugs.. at my highschool, we have lockdowns.. few times a year.. so the police and the dogs can sniff around every SINGLE locker, to make sure we're cleared.. again, I'm sorry! :( It's not a bad thing to post on here.

Ann
02-25-2003, 11:32 AM
I am so sorry to hear that.

I know this must be extremely hard for you, but please consider reporting the rehab worker that didn't help him. A person like that does not deserve such a response job, I would not like to see her do this same mistake again.

*hugs*

iceyshiver21
02-25-2003, 01:22 PM
IM SO SORRY!!!! I know what it is like to be in those situations.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-25-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Pam
I think a much more graphic portrayal of someone going through drug withdrawal would have done so much more to deter these kids from getting involved in the first place.

This is so true. My very first real boyfriend turned into a heroine addict while we were dating - ok, actually living together. I don't know how many times I saw him go through withdrawals, all the time swearing he'd never do it again because he couldn't stand to go through this again, only to go out some Friday night and come home all high again and have the whole vicious circle start again.

Thankfully I never fell into the same trap and I ended up leaving this guy in my dust. But it was heart wrenching and a total mess while it was all going on, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. It is so sad that so many kids fall into the drug trap and can't seem to find their way out.

Sara, I'm so sorry this happened to a friend of yours. Hugs to you.

lovemyshiba
02-25-2003, 03:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend. It is terrible to go through something like this.
The "counselor" should be reported--he wasn't doing his job.
Again, my condolences to you.

NoahsMommy
02-25-2003, 03:50 PM
Oh Sara, :(

This is terrible. Such a horrible waste. :( I know we can't understand what leads them to drugs or how much of a hold they have on people, but it must be such a strong hold that he couldn't ignore it without help. It is tragic what that counselor ignored....so very sad.

Please know we are here for you and feel your pain. Prayers to you and Chris's family. I can imagine how terrible his girlfriend feels, but don't be too hard on her, she may not know how to deal with his drug abuse...I would imagine its a very hard thing to have to deal with.

So sad. :(

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-25-2003, 04:32 PM
I want to thank you guys for letting me get some frustration out on here. And thanks to everyone for lending me a shoulder to cry on. I have never felt so comfortable and close to people I have never met before and you guys are truly some special people.

We went to Chris' funeral today. That was the saddest thing I have ever had to sit through. I don't handle death well at all and my mom never made me go to funerals with her.. she would just give my sympathies for me. I started feeling guilty yesterday that I didn't go to the viewing and my friend did not want to go to the funeral alone so I went with him. I am so at a loss for words except that I am so sad for his family. I never knew so much went into a funeral... in a wierd way it was like I was at a wedding... I guess since after planning mine and Eric's wedding it was easy to see the planning that went into it. They played a couple of songs and someone gave a eulogy (sp) and another song etc... I mean over one STUPID high of heroine.. Chris' family had to get together and pick out songs to play at their son's funeral. Chris was only 28.:( He was thier KID! :( All this makes me want to turn into a one man army and wipe out all the drugs.. it makes me angry. Sorry that I am going on like this to you guys .... but It makes it easier to deal with.:( Drugs were real big in my circle of friends and I could never imaging having to make my parents go throught that. I am so thankful that me and Eric have cleaned up and left those people in our pasts.,.... but then again it makes me worried about them... I hope they are doing ok and cleaning themselves up somehow.:( People always tell you these things about drugs but the addicts never think it will happen to them.... sorry if I sound like a commercial but I am so dissapointed, and so sad for his family. His dad was crying so hard.... I pray that no one else would ever have to bury their child over something SO STUPID!!:( :(

shais_mom
02-25-2003, 11:45 PM
I can certainly understand how it was the hardest thing you have done. I went to a viewing of a good friend of mine in Dec, b/c he committed suicide. That was awful, I can't imagine the pain the people go thru.
Still thinking of you Sara.

HoRsELUvR
02-26-2003, 03:58 PM
Im sorry about your friend:( Drugs really are a horrible thing.Im sorry for everyone on PT who has ever lost someone to drugs, suicide, or anything like that.I too have friends who are suicidal and do drugs and I'm worried about them.

popcornbird
02-26-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that. :( I will never be able to understand WHY people take drugs when they know what a great risk it is to their lives. What a waste of life. :( I have NEVER taken drugs nor will I EVER in my life have anything to do with them. Its is just so wrong to do such a thing to yourself. I am so sorry for your loss and can't even imagine what this young man's family is going through. Losing their child for something as stupid as this. :(:(

moosmom
02-26-2003, 05:30 PM
People who do drugs do them for every reason in the book. Actually, they do it to escape whatever is going wrong in their lives. The only thing with that is they get high and when they come down the problems are still there.

People who do drugs need to hit rock bottom and ask for help before they realize they have a problem. Unfortunately, sometimes help can come just a little too late.

At 50 years old, believe me, I speak from experience. I had to hit rock bottom before I got help. It was the best move I ever made and never regret it for a minute. And I am grateful that my daughter doesn't drink, smoke or do drugs.

I hope we can all help you get through this awful tragedy.

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-26-2003, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone for all the support and prayers. If you could still remember Chris' family in your prayers. This whole ordeal has been so depressing..... but such an eyeopener. I only hope that this has touched some people who have addictions that they will see how doing drugs is only a dead end street. I know I will be alright ... but it is just so tragic... I hope his family finds peace with this soon.

Kfamr
02-26-2003, 07:23 PM
I'm sorry aobut your friend.

I hate drugs and smoking so bad. Alcohol too, but a few drinks are allright. The girls at my school always smoke in the bathroom and normslly only one is open, they take up all the stals just to smoke whatever they're smoking and it smells so horrible. I'm normally late to class when i have to go the the bathroom and during lunch i basically take up my whole lunch time [ not that i eat lunch anyways, i just hang out with my friends.] If they can't go a few hours until they get home to smoke, do drugs, whatever they do... just imagine them in their 40's.. if they even make it there. :( I was born with some kind of bronchitis or something, so i have breathing problems and i completely gag when i smell ciggarette smoke. My parents both smoke, but i make them smoke outside [it's either that or hear me cough up my lungs] gaaah i think ciggarettes arejust as bad as drugs.

Nomilynn
02-27-2003, 12:40 AM
Sara -

I'm sorry the funeral was so hard for you. You are still in my prayers.

Miss Meow
02-27-2003, 03:16 AM
Sara, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. It's dreadfully sad to hear of someone being taken so young.

A lot of the world's heroin supply comes from Afghanistan and a lot of production was halted by the Taliban. Under the new regime, heroin production is increasing, becoming cheaper again and a lot more potent. Maybe your friend got caught by a strong batch - an awful price to pay for one mistake, especially when he was trying so hard to give up. I hope his family is dealing with this OK.

Tanya&Fritz
02-27-2003, 01:26 PM
I'm so sorry Sara. I just saw this post now. I'll be thinking of you.

Dakota's Mommy
02-27-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about this unfortunate event in your life. I agree with you, drugs are way too dangerous and I wish people who thought they were cool would grow up and realize what they are really messing with.