PDA

View Full Version : Why does she thump??

tikeyas_mom
02-24-2003, 03:01 PM
My female angora dwarf thumps her back feet when she hopps around my room when she is first let out of her Kenal. Why does she do this? I read somewhere that rabbits thump their back feet cuz they are scared threatened or excited.. What one do you think my rabbit is showing signs of being?? I think she might be excited? But I thought I'd check because she is my second rabbit EVEr *I had 1 rabbit for a week a looonng time ago like 7 years ago* and now I have Angel my angora, I dont want to screw up with her.. Please help .. Thanks :)

aly
02-24-2003, 03:32 PM
I will leave this question to the bunny experts, but I did see this on a webpage. Do not let it scare you. I just thought it might be good information if its correct. Maybe the bunny people can say if its true or not.

Thumping: "Thumper" of cartoon fame thumps many times in rapid succession before taking off for safety. That's not the way real rabbits thump. Rabbits stand on all four feet, in a somewhat tip-toe position, with their ears alert, then lift their rear feet and thump! to warn everyone in the warren (including humans) that there is "danger," in the rabbit's opinion. They may remain in the thumping posture until convinced that the danger is gone. The length of time between thumps can vary from a few seconds to a couple of minutes and may last an extended period of time (even an hour or more). This "danger" could be a furnace, refrigerator or other electrical appliance turning on or a lit cigarette when they are not used to the smoke. "Danger" could be the shadow of a bird flying across the moon or a cat walking on the window sill chasing a shadow on the floor. Thumping can occur day or night and is the rabbit's attempt to save everyone from a terrible fate.

A rabbit who is exhibiting continual thumping can die from fright and should be reassured and comforted as soon as possible.

As an expression of anger, I am sometimes given a thump when I return a rabbit to his cage after an exercise period. He either doesn't want to return (thump!) or would rather do it himself (thump!). When not at all pleased with what has just happened, a thump is often in order. For instance, when he thinks he should have another piece of fruit, and instead, I eat it myself (thump!).

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/behavior/dothat.html

jenluckenbach
02-24-2003, 06:30 PM
to be honest, I had many rabbits over 20 years ago, and I do not remember the exact reason they do this. But they do do this, some more than others, and it is not really something you need to worry about. I personnaly alwyas thought it was kinda cute.

tikeyas_mom
02-24-2003, 06:42 PM
I think it is cute 2 but I dont want my lil Angel to be affraid.. I dont know what she might be affraid of though??

jenluckenbach
02-24-2003, 06:49 PM
simply being in new surroundings may make her a little uneasy at first.

tikeyas_mom
02-24-2003, 06:56 PM
ok thanks :)

Daisylover
02-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Bunnies have very few defenses. Aly is right on about the thumping....it is a warning to others that something isn't right or there's a danger "out there"... It's also a warning to animal or person they see as the threat to stay away from this :D :cool: :D Big, bad and mean bunny...LOL!!!!!

Every once in a while one of my guys will haul off with a few thumps and nothing is there...who knows what they think they are seeing as a threat..... I wouldn't ignore the thumping, I would check out to be sure nothing is threatening him but it certainly is nothing to be afraid of.

tikeyas_mom
02-25-2003, 11:58 PM
Well, She does it whever she comes out of her kenal. shell do it after someone holds her or pets her, she does it after she eats or drinks or goes to do her buisneaa in the litter box.. She is constantly doing it! why? She hates me... :(

02-26-2003, 03:44 AM
Don't you worry about your bunny-bun!!! My Billie does that too ; it is her way to tell her buddies about danger around her . Of course , she doesn't realise there are no enemies and NO buddies , but that is her bunny-nature !! :D :D :D

Daisylover
02-26-2003, 10:55 AM
I would expect that she may stop much of the thumping after she has been around you for a while and is used to you.

Since she is a new bunny to you, I would urge you to spend as much time as you can down on the floor with her. Most bunnies do not like to be picked up because they can't get away, they may even struggle with you and could end up hurting themselves.
Remember rabbits have been prey animals and have therefore been food for others for thousands of years... As a result they are naturally fearful of anything bigger and louder than they are. You have to earn the bunny's trust first, unlike most kittens or puppies who seem to automatically love everybody.

By getting down on the floor you appear much smaller to your bunny and therefore not as threatening to her. Watch Tv, do your homework, read...bunnies are very curious and eventually she'll come over and check you out. Say her name a lot so she gets used to it and the sound of your voice. It depends on the bunny and the amount of time you spend with her but after a few days of this she should see that she has nothing to fear from you. :D

tikeyas_mom
02-26-2003, 12:46 PM
So you dont think she is thumping because she is happy? she is scared! oh my.. What should I do??

Daisylover
03-03-2003, 09:58 AM
Like I said earlier, you need to spend a lot of time with her....so she can get to know you and realize she doesn't need to be afraid.

Get down on the floor with her and IGNORE her...do your homework, read a book, watch tv...bunnies are very curious and eventaully if you are quiet and you sit still, she will come over to check you out. After she comes up to you, remain still but you can start talking with her in a soft voice and use her name. Wait to touch her and then do it slowly and softly...never grab, even when you are frustrated....that will only set the friendship you are trying to develop backwards.

Some bunnies are more tentative than others, so it's really a waiting (and trust) game, but it's a game you can't afford to lose, so just be patient and quiet and you will win her over!

Brie
03-04-2003, 09:03 PM
my bunny does sometimes thump when she's playing, but, this is only very rarely.

Mostly she thumps when she's intimidated by somethig, not, sure what sets her off though. I know she hates my brother. If he comes near her she won't stop thumping for an hour!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Karen
03-04-2003, 09:35 PM
Miss Hoppy will thump when she is angry, or when she is signally "No!" Zippykat can vouch for that behavior in her previous bunny, Miss Sophie!

So it is quite possible that she is saying "No! I don't like being in that cage! Thank goodness I'm out!"

Bunnies thump to warn you of danger, or in anger, or to say "I don't like that!" A double thump seems to always mean "danger," but a single thump is often "I'm mad!"

tikeyas_mom
03-05-2003, 05:33 PM
she died.

Daisylover
03-06-2003, 08:48 AM
What do you mean she died? What Happened? Oh Tikeyas_mom
I am so very sorry. I know how much you wanted her and loved her. Bunnies are so very fragile....they have a lousey immune system and their bones and muscleture is delicate. As a prey animal they will often hide an illness because it signals to predators that they are weak and vulnerable, and then suddenly its too late to save them. You almost need to be psychic to know when they don't feel well......

I hope you won't give up on having a bunny as a pet...they really ARE worth the work you have to put forth to get them to trust you, I promise you that. I know when my first bunny died I thought I could not go through that again. But they are so special, when I read a notice that Chocolate was going to go to the humane society I just couldn't bear to think about it.... She's been with me for 6 years and she is a delight.

My heart goes out to you....big hugs are coming your way.....

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
my dog gave her a heart attack. I am never getting another rabbit again because I am not a good owner.

Brie
03-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
my dog gave her a heart attack. I am never getting another rabbit again because I am not a good owner.

Ya' know I'm not here to judge you. I've never met you. I don't know what living in your house is like. I only know what you post here.
You may not be a bad owner, but, from reading your signature, it sounds like you have *a lot* of other pets and things going on in the house. This just might not have been the right time for you to have a bunny. Maybe later in life when there is not lots of other pets in the house a bunny may be a good choice for you.
I'd say next time definetly read through www.rabbit.org and I really recommend you read this book: The House Rabbit Handbook by Marinell Harriman AND definetly research vets in your area before you bring home another bun.

Keep your head up. A lot of lifes lessons, wheter they be embarrassing, painful or sad, sometimes have to be learned through trial and error. But, please, when you ask for advice and someone gives you advice opposite of what you want to hear, please consider it! >> http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21370

You may not be a bad owner. You loved that bunny... that's the very sign that you are and can be a good owner. I definetly admire the fact that you have the heart of someone trying to save every last animal on the planet (that's obvious), but, sometimes, you can't carry the weight of the world alone.

Let me tell ya my story, I have something similar:
When I got my very first bunny, I was only still learning the concept that a rabbit can be a "house" rabbit rather than a caged rabbit.
My bunny was free around my bedroom (and only my bedroom, like you) during the day and caged at night. well, I have this overly ...hmmm...how do I describe him... CRAZY!... cat who figured out how to open the rabbits cage.
Well, at 3am one night I was woken up by this little black ball of fur pouncing on and then off my stomach. Needless to say the cat was right on his tail, so the next thing I knew I have a 20lb cat landing right on my stomach.
I was able to catch the cat and after a strenuous fight to get him out my bedroom door and I was able to get the door shut (yes, I have a few scars from that fight). Luckily the bunny was fine, not even a scratch anywhere on him, just a little frieghtened.

I felt so bad. Like you, I felt like I was such a bad guardian and I was SO MAD at the cat. But, I loved both of them and learned from the situation what the needs of both of my animals were.
That was my lesson, I got a new lock for the cage and I started sleeping with my bedroom door shut so my cats didn't have free roam in and out anymore. The cat and the rabbit had interacted before, but, never unsupervised. I never thought it would be a problem, but, obviously it was. So lesson learned. Never did it again.

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 06:24 PM
Well my door was always shut and locked when I left my room except for the day she died.. :( .. I am never going to make the mistake of adopting a rabbit and trying to give a great home when I have any other pets.. I probibly will not get another rabbit in my life.

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Daisylover
Big, bad and mean bunny...LOL!!!!!

LOL
:D