PDA

View Full Version : molting...

primabella
02-24-2003, 02:45 PM
my birds have been molting. i hate it when they do. there are feathers everywhere!! anyways, as i was feeding them, i noticed they were shivering. i put a warm blanket over there cage (that's there cage cover) but i'm wondering if this behavior is normal. i don't remember them doing this before :confused: any suggestion?

ps- we're going to buy some molting food for them. it seems to help ;)

primabella
02-24-2003, 08:00 PM
it does! thanks! :D

there doesn't seem to be a change in behavior, just that they are very chirpy ;) no, they are not in a cold area. they are on a shelf (hard to explain) right next to the TV in the livingroom. we keep the cover on the cage at all times (not covering the front, just the sides) because a draft comes in every so often when we open the door to take mickey out. our houses' temp. might be low today. i don't know. i'll put it slightly higher. thanks for the help :)

Jessica12345
02-25-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
The cover on at all times? :( I would advise you not to do that. They need light and I'm sure they'd love to have the chance to look around if not allowed out of the cage (which they should be). My birds would cry if I left their cover on at all times with the front open! :eek: If you're doing this because of a draft, maybe try to put them in another area. They should be allowed to have the sunlight/view/and freedom they deserve.

i agree:)

tiki is molting too, and she is very sensitive. popcornbird, do you know if you are supose to help them take off the "coverings"on their feathers??

I read that you should help them take it off in a book because thier mates would normally do it for them. But im not sure.

plus if you make it bleed you have to pull the whole feather out!:( :( I dont want to have to do that to tiki.

:confused: :confused:

02-26-2003, 04:10 AM
Don't cover up during the day!! your birdies will get disorientated !! I used to have a birdie too , an orange canary . I only covered the cage dring the night!!
Molting is a normal thing ! As long as your birdie is not getting really bold , there isn't anything wrong!!

primabella
02-26-2003, 03:19 PM
i think you guys misunderstand what i meant. they are covered but the back and front of there cage is open. we roll up the cover to fold it over on the sides so it blocks out any POSSIBLE draft. i do uncover them though, but only sometimes. they are also located on this that shelf thing which is not too far from my huge windows. they get lots of sunlight...its hard to explain. don't worry. i know a bird should get its light and view. they do :) thanks for letting me know though. ;)

well, about mickey and the birds...only about last week my mom decided to pick up a mickey (he's too small to reach) and brought him face to face with the birds. we opened the cage door and mickey put his head through. rocket went up to him and they were just staring at eachother. sky is a scaredy cat. she stayed in the back :rolleyes: i took a few pics and i hope they come out good. today my mom told me the two were "talking to eachother" rocket chirped and mickey was making a barking noise. its sweet :D ;)

lut...what do you mean by "getting bold"? :)

primabella
02-26-2003, 08:32 PM
oh, that would make more sense ;)

really, dog saliva is poisonous? thanks for warning me. he is only showed to them under supervision and because the cage is so high, we have to hold him and so can control him if he gets too close. :)

primabella
02-27-2003, 07:34 PM
lol

sky would just hate that. she spends so much time grooming herself and then some silly dog goes and ruffles up all her feathers! :p

Jessica12345
02-28-2003, 11:22 AM
ooo! tiki always loves kisses! i better be careful! thanks for the warning:eek: ;)