PDA

View Full Version : MiSuNdErStOoD

iceyshiver21
02-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Ya, know I was looking on Petfinder.com and I looked at how many of each breed where on the site, I was amazed to see that the misunderstood breeds are up in the 2,000's i just shook my head at the screen, I Mean look at the rotty's and the pit bull's :( I wish people would research the breed first!

Petfinder (http://www.petfinder.org/pet.cgi?action=3&type=Dog)

Karen
02-23-2003, 03:22 PM
It also means, though, that these dogs are popular. Look at the huge number of Labs - listed both as Black Labs and Labs - they're the most popular breed in the US right now, and irresponsible owners, even of popular breeds, who don't spay or neuter end up contributing to the number of pets needing homes.

Kfamr
02-23-2003, 03:24 PM
I'd rather the pit bulls and rottie be there rather then in bad hands with people who train them to fight. This way they can find the right people to take care of them.

Jessica12345
02-23-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I'd rather the pit bulls and rottie be there rather then in bad hands with people who train them to fight. This way they can find the right people to take care of them.

defianately:(

there are 4528 GSD's!!:eek: :(

lovemyshiba
02-23-2003, 04:12 PM

I agree, and I cannot believe the numbers of ALL of them--it certainly is sad--and these are just the pets on petfinder--there are a ton of shelters who don't list:(

lovemyshiba
02-23-2003, 04:18 PM
I just looked at it, and it really is a lot of the breeds that people should do research on first:
Chow Chow--2266
Pit Bull-2500
Terrier-2380
Boxer-1643
Border Collie-2230
Beagle-2619

I know the higher numbers means they are more popular breeds, but it is so important that people need to LEARN about dogs before getting one!!! I'm sure all of the owners of the Border Collies on there had no idea they had such a high activity level--a visit to the library, internet, or PET TALK would have taught them that!!!

iceyshiver21
02-23-2003, 06:48 PM

I agree, but still i was looking at this and almost crying for the poor little dears.

Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I know the higher numbers means they are more popular breeds, but it is so important that people need to LEARN about dogs before getting one!!! I'm sure all of the owners of the Border Collies on there had no idea they had such a high activity level--a visit to the library, internet, or PET TALK would have taught them that!!!
I looked at the border collie and it said 40, and I was kinda happy about that THEN I realized I had read "Bearded Collie" not "Border Collie"!! So I look at Border Collie and saw such a high number! :( Its a shame. The terriers have a high number too :(

**I love BC's(there my fave) and wish I could Adopt them and find them Really good loving homes, heck I wish I could find them all good homes!

RogueFerret
02-23-2003, 06:54 PM
YIKES! 1643 boxers! Why are they misunderstood? I had one and he was the best dog. It's really shocking to me to see that many of them on petfinder!:eek:

Vermontcat
02-23-2003, 08:47 PM
I have also noticed that there are more larger breed dogs at shelters. Some people get puppies then get rid of them when they grow up! Around here there seem to be mostly Lab or GSD mixes and hardly any smaller breeds available.

iceyshiver21
02-24-2003, 12:47 PM
There is a bunch of small hyper breeds too, because they may tend to be hyper and nip, but then if a big dog does the same the get shipped our faster :(

Kfamr
02-24-2003, 12:50 PM
There are ALOT of pits/ pit mixes in the HS i got to. Alot of Shepherd mixes too. Most mixes are lab/pit mixes it seems like. We got the cutest lab pit mix from there :D :D ( Honey ) :D :D