PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant cats

clgravit
02-23-2003, 03:08 AM
How long do cats stay pregnant? There is a stray cat around my boyfriends apartment and we noticed this week that she was pregnant. Just wondering how long she may have been and how long it will be before she has them. Back in December she was pretty skinny. Now when you feel her belly, you can actually feel the kittens!

catmandu
02-23-2003, 12:34 PM
Generally Cats are about pegnant 9 weeks . Hope you can catch er and get her to a safe place , there isnt much time if you can feel the kittens!

moosmom
02-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Gestation period for a cat is 62-64 days. If you can bring her in and let her have her babies in a spare room, you'd be doing her a great favor. This way she'll be safe and warm. And as long as she lets you pet her, chances are she's not feral which will make it easier to place the kittens.

If you do bring her in, a birthing box is necessary. A cardboard box lined with plastic, old towels. Cut the edge of the box so that it's deep enough so the kittens won't climb out, but the mama can when she needs a break from her babies.

She'll need a quiet room with her own litterbox, food and water. I hope you'll do that for her as it's way too cold for her to have babies outside. They'll die.

Good luck and please let us know.

krazyaboutkatz
02-23-2003, 05:18 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk clgravit. I don't have any information to add except that I hope you can do as Moosmom has suggested. Good luck and please keep us posted.

NoahsMommy
02-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Kittens! I didn't know you could actually feel them, that is really neat. :)

That would be really great if you could provide a warm place for her to have her kittens.

Please keep us updated. :)

clgravit
02-25-2003, 09:52 PM
I would really really like to bring her in, but My boyfriend lives in a one bedroom apartment and space is tight. He doesn't have a spare room. Plus she is not exactly clean. I would give her a bath but she may bite or scratch me and I am not sure what she has. Since I already have financial responsibility to my cat, I don't have enough money to take care of another. Before she comes in the house, I would really like for her to have all of her shots and be clean. I don't feel right taking her to the pound because I am not totally sure that they would all get good homes to say things nicely. Anyone live around NC that wants a sweet cat? Thanks for all the advice!!