PDA

View Full Version : Unique Animal Expo....what will I possibly bring back this time???

luckies4me
02-21-2003, 05:39 PM
Well I am setting up a booth this time at the Unique Animal Expo in Portland. I will have a few rescued animals there for educational purposes etc. and possibly for adoption if I can find someone who really meets my needs as an animal adopter......not likely lol. I drill people pretty hard, but there are some very knowledgable owners for exotics out there and that is the best I can do.

Chances are I will come back with more rescued critters as well, although I am looking for a friend for my hedgie Speedy. Wish me luck. I hope I don't find any animals that I have to rescue...it's very hard trying to persuade a breeder to hand over a neglected animal for free. :rolleyes:

I do enjoy seeing some of the animal though as I am partial to the servals/bobcats....as well as wolf dogs, as I had a wolf named Mathew but anyways.....some of the animals they bring are ones used in conservation programs etc. For instance there i one organization who breeds Cheetahs for zoo programs to try to increase their numbers...but mostly the expo is all about lame irresponsible breeders shoving animals into a way too tiny cage for the weekend!:mad:

neko1
02-21-2003, 06:09 PM
OOOO a unique animal expo!! sounds like fun!!! OMG I would love to see the servals/bobcats!!!! Make sure to take lots of pictures!!!

Karen
02-21-2003, 06:18 PM
I would feel obligated to go with my Lowland Gorilla Silverback commandos, to rescue any animals that needed it, and to squash the bad people.

Sigh.

But other than that, I'd love to see all sorts of animals. Hey, spread the word about PetoftheDay.com to any really worthy folks, okay? :)

Jessica12345
02-21-2003, 06:36 PM
lol karen:D

good luck luckie!:) your doing a good thing! DO NOT FORGET THE CAMRA!!!!! lol:D

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 12:44 AM
LOL! You better beleive I am going to spread the word about us! Go PETALK! LOL!:D

Of course I am bringing my digital camera and hopefully I can play with the baby bobcats and other felines. I cannot wait until I find my house with land so I could breed servals!!! I have always wanted to breed for conservation and I love knowing that a lot of these animal would not be around much longer if it wasn't for caring people who do it. :(

Here in Oregon we have a drive thru zoo and they are breeding Cheetahs and are the most successful Cheetah breeder in the states and more. They are focusing on the rare spot/stripe Cheetahs....they look like tabby cats and are a lot prettier than regular Cheetahs. A lot of people think there is only one kind, but there are three I believe.

I am really looking forward to seeing the kinkajous or "honey bears". But I am going to see if they have any more rock cavies because Peanut needs a friend. :D

Hopefully I can get a few animals adopted and I am picking up some new ratties too! But I just hope I won't need to take anymore home with me. I am working on a site for my rescue and working on getting approved as a 401non profit rescue.

:) I will post pics tomorrow when I get back...I am picking up ratty hats so look forward to ratties wearing hats lol!:p

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 10:09 AM
I am getting ready to head out!! Wish me luck lol! Maybe we will have a few new pet talk members tonight!:D

Karen
02-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Do have fun! :) Ratties with hatties ... that's a grin-inspiring image!

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:42 PM
:D

I may get this Bengal cat.....my kitties are loney lol! :P I could pick him up next month. :D

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:46 PM
Here is an alligator. I couldn't stop petting him...he was so cute! I wanted to give him a bunch of smooches. He is five years old and VERY spoiled!:D He is the healthiest gator I have seen in captivity, he looks a heck of a lot better than the ones in zoos!

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:48 PM
Here is an Asian Leopard cat...these are what Bengals come from.

BTW the Bengal I am getting in an F5, and he is such a sweety! He was begging for attention, it was so funny!

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Here is a Serval....the pics of the caracals didn't come out. Sorry the pics are blurry but I had my cam on micro setting and I didn't know. :o :(

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:54 PM
Here is a sloth.....they are so cute in person! I used to think they were ugly but this one surely changed my mind! It is a baby, three months old...such a sweety pie!

All of the animals there were very healthy and I only saw one animal that had problems and that was a cockatoo who had feather plucked himself. :(

But he liked to play "throw" and he would get a stick and throw it to you over and over, he liked that!:D

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 08:57 PM
A miniature horse!:D

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 09:00 PM
I have to resize some more pisc so stay tuned!

BTW I didn't get any ratty hats because there were none that I liked. :(

I did get 6 more ratties though...5 Dumbos and 1 standard ear. I will takesome pics later to show you!:p 2 of them are beautiful pearl merles.....like merling in a dog, but not as pronounced, but beautiful none the less.

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 09:07 PM
An ocelot! One of my favs! :)

luckies4me
02-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Here is the last one, I promise!:p

These are ring tailed lemurs.

Aspen and Misty
02-23-2003, 03:54 AM
We want pics of the ratties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loved the rest of your pictures! Sounds like a whole bunch of fun!

Ash

luckies4me
02-23-2003, 01:41 PM
I will be taking some of them today. :D So stay tuned! LOL

BTW: Thanks Ash!;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-23-2003, 06:13 PM
Thanks for sharing the pics with us. It sounds like you had a lot of fun. :) You had mentioned that you're getting another bengal cat that is an F5. What does F5 mean?

luckies4me
02-23-2003, 06:21 PM
F5 is the fith generation away from the actual Asian Leopard Cat.

F1 would be first a generation mating between an Asian Leopard Cat and a domestic, usually a siamese or a abbysinnian cat. F2 are most likely two hybrids, and the more you outcross the more domestic they get. I believe the have to be F4's to compete for TICA status. But don't quote me on that. ;)

One thing that REALLY bugged me is that the one lady there who had servals was walking hers outside and quoted that "they are just like cats, only bigger"!:mad: This really upset me. They are NOT just like cats. They have VERY specific dietary requirements. They can and will hurt you. They are wild animals.

People hearing this would buy one and think they could feed it Friskies all it's life until he developed problems from not having enough protein in the diet etc. That really made me angry!

RogueFerret
02-23-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks for showing us you pictures! I've never been to one of them expos, so it was neat to see all those animals!:D

luckies4me
02-23-2003, 06:43 PM
It was really fun. I admired the people who were breeding the endangered species such as the ocelot. I will be taking a trip to Mexico (if I can get enough money by then) with them to study Geofroys Cat in the wild!!!:D It's going to be so much fun!

Aspen and Misty
02-23-2003, 09:02 PM
Hmm, I just wanted to say RATTIE PICTURES PLEASE :D

Ash

luckies4me
02-23-2003, 09:21 PM
I know Ash lol. :p I have to take some tomorrow though as today we cleaned the whole house!:eek:

But I promise I will take some for you tomorrow and my dumbo babies too...their ears just started o stick out and their eyes are just now opening. :D

Aspen and Misty
02-23-2003, 09:39 PM
O I can't wait till tomrrow!!!!!!! I get to see ratties! I get to see ratties!!

Ash