PDA

View Full Version : Storm has become a lap cat

krazyaboutkatz
02-21-2003, 12:14 AM
Hi everyone. Since Pepper has passed away and gone to rainbow bridge, I've noticed a behavioral change in both of my cats but more so in Storm. Both Sunny and Storm seem to be much more loving and needy. This has been great for me since I'm still grieving over Pepper. One thing that has been an added bonus is that Storm has become quite a lap cat. He was one when I first adopted him because he was very sick. Since then he never felt comfortable being in my lap. Now he seems to really enjoy it. He even seems to enjoy being held and hugged too. :) Has any one else ever experienced this in their cat? If not then may be you can tell me why you think he's changed his behavior. Will his behavior change if I get a third cat?

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-21-2003, 12:27 AM
I have heard of cat's behaviors changing when their brother or sister cats pass away. I have not experienced it personally but I have read articles about it. I am sorry that Pepper is gone but I am glad Storm is turning out to be a little cuddle bug. He is probably a little confused and needs his mommy!:) I don't blame him.... I always call my mom up when I am sick and If I can I curl up in her lap too to get some pettin....;)

jenluckenbach
02-21-2003, 06:09 AM
Did Storm snuggle a lot with Pepper? If so, then I'd say he misses that. (if not..forget it)
How about this for an example: When my Mom passed away my parents had a cat (Hamlet) and he was MOM'S cat. But now he did not have her and he actually started to lay on my Dad's lap.:eek: Trust me, this was extremely unexpected behavior.

Pam
02-21-2003, 06:19 AM
I don't really have an answer for you regarding Storm's behavior, but I think it is sweet and just what you both need right now. I do believe animals sense our sorrow and feel sorrow themselves. Storm is giving and receiving what he and you both need now - lots of love. I hope his behavior will continue, as it did before, because there is nothing like having a kitty in one's lap! ;)

smokey the elder
02-21-2003, 06:54 AM
Both Pixel and Moby showed grieving behavior when Smokey the Elder died. They transferred their affection for her to each other.

Another piece of evidence that cat senses extend beyond linear space and time: A cyber-pal had done cat rescue for years, and last summer while fighting cancer placed his last foster with another friend. This friend emailed me that the cat pawed her face at a certain time. She later found out that this was the moment when the rescuer had passed away.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-21-2003, 09:19 AM
I've never experienced this personally either, but I think both Sunny and Storm are missing Pepper as much as you are, and want the assurance of cuddling that you're still there for them.

As for the behavior changing if you get another kitty, I would think that would depend on the third kitty. If that kitty is a real lap cat, that might tend to make your lap a place of contention between new kitty & Storm, and Storm might just concede and let new kitty have it. Also, if you get a kitten that is very active, Storm's interest might be piqued and he will watch and play with the kitten instead of needing lap time. But then again, he might just really like all the extra attention, and defend his new favorite place against any "invaders." ;) :) He also might want the extra assurance the lap provides, but this time to be sure that you still love him too, and not just new kitty.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as we all know, you cannot predict what a cat will do. I think in your heart you really want and need a third kitty. You never know, you might end up with three snuggle bugs on your hands and wish you had a much bigger lap. ;) :)

I'm glad you and Storm are getting the snuggling you need from each other, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Hugs to you and hugs and smoochies to Storm and Sunny. :)

Vio&Juni
02-21-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
I've never experienced this personally either, but I think both Sunny and Storm are missing Pepper as much as you are, and want the assurance of cuddling that you're still there for them.

As for the behavior changing if you get another kitty, I would think that would depend on the third kitty. If that kitty is a real lap cat, that might tend to make your lap a place of contention between new kitty & Storm, and Storm might just concede and let new kitty have it. Also, if you get a kitten that is very active, Storm's interest might be piqued and he will watch and play with the kitten instead of needing lap time. But then again, he might just really like all the extra attention, and defend his new favorite place against any "invaders." ;) :) He also might want the extra assurance the lap provides, but this time to be sure that you still love him too, and not just new kitty.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as we all know, you cannot predict what a cat will do. I think in your heart you really want and need a third kitty. You never know, you might end up with three snuggle bugs on your hands and wish you had a much bigger lap. ;) :)

I'm glad you and Storm are getting the snuggling you need from each other, and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

What can I say more?
Good luck if you decide to get a third kitty.

krazyaboutkatz
02-21-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Did Storm snuggle a lot with Pepper? If so, then I'd say he misses that. They would snuggle when Pepper was a kitten but when he grew up they would usually just sleep very close to each other. Storm was with Pepper for almost 6 years because Pepper was just 9 weeks old when I adopted him. I'm sure that Storm misses him more than Sunny does but sometimes I think that Sunny is still searching for Pepper so he can play with him. I really do want a third cat and I think it would be good for both Sunny and Storm too. :)

NoahsMommy
02-23-2003, 10:52 PM
I think they would like a new friend. Another boy would be most cuddly, :)

krazyaboutkatz
02-23-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
I think they would like a new friend. Another boy would be most cuddly, :)

Yes, I agree. I love male cats. I know that females can be loving too but from my experience it seems like males are much more loving and easy going. They also seem to adjust to multi-cat households better. :)

NoahsMommy
02-23-2003, 11:17 PM
Do you feel ready for a new addition? How fun!!!! :) Can't wait!!!! ;)

krazyaboutkatz
02-23-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Do you feel ready for a new addition? How fun!!!! :) Can't wait!!!! ;) Not just yet. I think I'll be ready some time this summer though. I want to adopt a short haired young male kitten/cat preferably 6 months old and under. :) It doesn't have to black either because I could never replace my RB Pepper. I just want a happy, healthly and friendly kitten/cat. :)

catland
02-24-2003, 03:14 PM
YES - I have seen a change, especially in Joxer. His brother and littermate Quincy dies last October.

Joxer has always been the most submissive cat of the bunch. Quincy liked to sleep with us, often next to or on my face.:) Now Joxer has become my snuggle-baby. He is often waiting for me on the bed, and once I'm under the covers, he walks up (usually on me of course), and is just a purring machine love kitty. He'll sometimes sleep inbetween me and my husband - and is very content. He is a very sweet natured guy.

Joxer also plays more with Jan now. Quincy was her favorite, but she has come to be more playful with Joxer.

Randi
02-24-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

Exactly my words! :)

hugs and nosekisses from us all!

NoahsMommy
02-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by krazyaboutkatz
Not just yet. I think I'll be ready some time this summer though. I want to adopt a short haired young male kitten/cat preferably 6 months old and under. :) It doesn't have to black either because I could never replace my RB Pepper. I just want a happy, healthly and friendly kitten/cat. :)
That sounds like a really good idea. :) I bet Storm and Sunny would much prefer a younger sibling.

rosethecopycat
03-03-2003, 07:40 AM
KAK-

It's so touching how cats remember their friends. They can't explain how they are feeling, but they do show us in little ways. I'm sure your whole house misses your sweet Pepper, but take your time and heal. And I bet there is a kitten being born out there getting ready to come live at your house.

kimlovescats
03-03-2003, 01:42 PM
Although multi-household kitties can get along great and even snuggle together, they still always have a "pecking order". I'm guessing that Pepper was "top cat" and now that he has passed, Storm is. I know that some of my kitties will look at my lap as if they are dying to jump into it, but then they'll look over their shoulder and see someone more "dominant" and turn away. Storm has probably always loved you just as much as Pepper and wanted to be a lap cat .... but now he feels comfortable asserting himself! ;)

As far as him having done so when he was a sick baby .... more dominant cats are "ok" usually with kittens ... until they become more of a competitor! :D

I think a new kitten would fit in just fine in your household, whenever you are ready!!! It will just be Storm's turn to "rule the roost"! :)

Good luck finding a new baby, and remember we'll want tons of pictures!!!:eek:

krazyaboutkatz
03-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
Although multi-household kitties can get along great and even snuggle together, they still always have a "pecking order". I'm guessing that Pepper was "top cat" and now that he has passed, Storm is. I know that some of my kitties will look at my lap as if they are dying to jump into it, but then they'll look over their shoulder and see someone more "dominant" and turn away. Storm has probably always loved you just as much as Pepper and wanted to be a lap cat .... but now he feels comfortable asserting himself! ;)

As far as him having done so when he was a sick baby .... more dominant cats are "ok" usually with kittens ... until they become more of a competitor! :D

I think a new kitten would fit in just fine in your household, whenever you are ready!!! It will just be Storm's turn to "rule the roost"! :)
Actually Storm is the alpha cat. He was the first cat in my home and about a year old when I adopted Pepper at 9 weeks of age. Pepper was always a very mellow, easy going, and sensitive cat. He was dominant over Sunny so now the new cat that I adopt will probably be last in line.

L. Wayne
03-04-2003, 07:17 AM
When my father passed away in 1977, I remember his cat (Sam), a yellow striped tabby, would go through the house meowing and looking for him! This behavior lasted for a few days. Back then, I did not know anything about cats, otherwise I would have taken him home with me -some 700 miles away. The next door neighbor took Sam with her. They do miss each other as well as an "owner", especially when either of them pass on. Although I have read otherwise, from some who obviously did not know much about their furkids. That the closer the relationship between animals the more they are missed upon a permanent separation. :( They also have an ability to sense your emotions, especially those contemporary with thought, whether you openly express them or not.

......wayne