PDA

View Full Version : rheumatoid arthritis

marysmerrycats
02-20-2003, 07:47 PM
I have R.A., and was just wondering how many people have heard much about it, or know anyone with it?
I am not looking for info, just curious..

Soledad
02-20-2003, 07:58 PM
My grandmother has it. It was quite disheartening for her as she was a lacemaker and general crafty person (crochet, knitting, sewing, etc.).

How long have you had it? I take after my grandmother quite a bit and often fear I'll get it as I often get aches in my wrists and fingers.

Cookiebaker
02-20-2003, 07:59 PM
My nephew has (had) it...I'm not sure how he has been doing with it lately. He was 3 or 4 when he was diagnosed, and had a couple of really bad years. He's 13 or 14 now, and seems to be doing pretty well.

marysmerrycats
02-20-2003, 09:54 PM
I've known about it for about 21/2 years.
Soledad, if you are worried about it, ask your dr. for a blood test, they can tell by the sedrate count.

Cookiebaker
wow, 3 or 4 years old? I guess Ididn't realize children could get it, but I guess anyone could! how did it affect him while growing up?

neko1
02-21-2003, 05:34 AM
A woman that I work with has it, it gets pretty bad sometimes.

marysmerrycats
02-21-2003, 11:02 PM
it started with my hands, so bad I could hardly use them, at all. it was really bad, I was so clumsy. then the meds helped that, then last Sept. it started in my knees, to where I could hardly walk, the dr told me that I will need to have them"scraped out" with the next year or two and within 5 years I will need replacemnets! THAT scares me! I can walk okay now, but at times it gets bad, kind of off and on, right now it is almost normal but there are times when I feel like I'm ready for a cane or wheelchair!
tylenol 3 helps sometimes.

Michelle
what meds is your co-worker on, if you know..?

I am on methotrexate, after a while my body stopped absorbing the pills, they weren't helping anymore, so now I have to take a shot once a week I hate that!:(
it can be upsetting sometimes, when I have trouble walking.

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 05:50 PM
I bumped this post, because I am just wondering, IS there any other members on pt with it, or that you know someone?

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 06:36 PM
*bump* :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

anna_66
03-27-2003, 06:55 PM
And sometimes it is so painful for her, expecially in her hand & legs, and then sometimes in her shoulder. She has to have cortizone shots.

Rachel
03-27-2003, 07:06 PM
My neighbor at the house we lived at previously has it. She developed in in her thirties when her son was about 2 years old. She is now 60. The disease has progressed considerably but she has never let it stop her from doing what she wants to do. She and her husband are avid sailors and intend to take long trips on their new boat. How she manages I don't know, but she does.

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 07:08 PM
anyone else?

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 07:10 PM
How she manages I don't know, but she does.

well it depends how bad it is, and it does come and go, I have days I would never know anything was wrong, then the days that I can hardly move.

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 08:43 AM
:rolleyes:

emily_the_spoiled
03-28-2003, 12:17 PM
Marysmerrycats, there are some new drugs on the market for RA that work MUCH better than MTX (and without the side effects). It sounds like you are already seeing a rheumatologist, maybe you should ask about some of the new biologicals. I know that they are quite expensive, but it might be worth a try for you.

The knee replacement surgery may sound intmidating, but once you have it done you won't believe the difference in your life.

Unfortunately RA is generally an inherited condition, so your children may develop it or just carry the genetic code. I know that my maternal grandfather had it when he was alive and it now looks like my sister might have it also.

moosmom
03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Mary,

I can feel your pain. Although I don't have RA, I DO have arthritis in my back and neck from working for 20 years as a paramedic on an ambulance. Lifting all those heavy people down flights of stairs on a stretcher didn't help things any. My back goes into spasms sometimes to the point where I can't even move. It is NOT fun. Hang in there!

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 02:08 PM
Donna
wow, back and neck pain...OUCH!
I didn't know your were a parmedic! wow!

catland
03-28-2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry I can't relate. I did want to let you know that I have a uncle that had knee replacement surgury and he said it was the best thing that ever happened to his knees.

Also, I used to work with a woman who developed rheumetoid arthritis in her hip (I saw her go from being able to walk normally to having to use a cane and being in a lot of pain in just a few years time) and she had to have a hip replacement. Same thing for her - best thing that could have happened.

moosmom
03-29-2003, 03:32 PM
Mary,

I worked as an EMT at night while going to paramedic school. After working (and volunteering with a town Ambulance association) for 20 years, I knew it was time to quit.

I went to the chiropractor yesterday because my back was in spasms. I was in agony! He showed me my x-rays. I have arthritic "spurs" along my spine. He did an adjustment and I slept like a baby last night. :D I told him he has hands of gold.

I also have a pinched nerve in my neck. I just hope it doesn't get worse with age :(.

shais_mom
03-29-2003, 10:45 PM
I was 14 and had bilateral orthoscopic knee surgeries and the DR. scraped out more arthritis than the average 65 year old. I asked my parents if I had every been in an accident. I hadn't other than my knees often 'gave out' on me. And I think after so many years of that, it was trauma enough.
My dad had a knee replacement shortly after I had my knee surgeries. He had his knee crushed by a towmotor at work. He doesn't have the best luck with it b/c of such a traumatic injury and they had to wait so long for workman's comp to cover it. :rolleyes: B/c of that he only has anout 70% range of motion to it. Of course I think I probably have that also!! :rolleyes: B/c I THINK the arthritis is coming back. :(

marysmerrycats
05-15-2003, 02:58 PM
shais mom
how terrible to have that at such a young age!

catland
don't be sorry, be GLAD you can't relate. this is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. today my knees are not bothering me but what hurts is the other muscles in my legs from the way I am forced to get up when my knees hurt!:eek:

4 Dog Mother
05-15-2003, 03:29 PM
I was diagnosed with RA 16 years ago. At that time, I had a real flare-up and it took a couple of years to get it to where I could use my hands without having a terrible night. I guess it is in remission right now because it isn't troubling me much. One dr. said I was borderline so I guess that is why it isn't as crippling for me.

I tried many of the prescription drugs but have found that most of the side effects aren't worth it. Mostly stomach trouble but developed a kidney stone from all the calcium (Tums) I was taking.
Anyways right now I am using Glucosomine to help rebuild the joint tissue and just use painkillers when i really need it. Off and on I will take Vioxx or Celebrex for a flareup.

I did see a therapist to find ways to use the larger joints rather than small ones. Also this was before those fancy wax skin therapy bath things they have now, so she showed me how to use a crock pot to melt wax and coat my hands. The warmth was great when my hands were hurting so bad.

Kids who get it have a form called juvenile rheumatoid arthritis and it often crippples them up pretty badly.

People who have ra sometimes have to have their knees replace, their hips and even the knuckles in their hands. Their hands can become very disfigured, twisting and turning. But like so many other things, it just depends on the person. If you look more into it, you will find that some people feel a diet that illuminates root food helps - that means anything growing underground, like potatoes, turnips, etc. I haven't noticed that it has made any difference for me.

That's about all I can think of right now. I'll try to answer any questions you might have but I am no expert.

carole
05-15-2003, 07:35 PM
I can empathize with you very much, i suffer from fibromyalgia, so aches and pains are just part of my everyday. Most sufferers of fibro end up with R.A somewhere in their bodies, its part and parcel of it, unfortunately, my knees have always given me a problem.
Soledad get checked out, that u dont have OOS or RSI as its known or even fibro, always a possiblity, but dont worry too much.
I suppose u try all the heat pads and things available, i find a nice hot spa good, but only have minimal access to those. but with me everything gives only temporary relief.
Have you tried VIOXX, i take it occasionally, but like most it can play up with the old tummy etc, but its one of the better ones, i believe or CELEBREX.
Anyway u are in my thoughts, ongoing chronic pain is hard to live with and effects your all over well being, mentally , as well, its hard not to get depressed when u are constantly in pain, i just have to try and tell myself( on a good day mind u) there are others far worse off than myself on a bad day FORGET IT they are the last words i wanna hear.
Now u look after yourself and anytime u feel low pm me ok.

carole
05-15-2003, 07:37 PM
I forgot to mention my cats are wonderful therapy for me when i am in pain and feeling low , especially Lexie, she helps take my mind of it, but i know there are some days nothing will do it for me either.