PDA

View Full Version : HELP...Short-Tailed Opossums...please read

*grimkeeper_soccerchick
02-19-2003, 08:26 PM
:confused: I'm thinking about getting a Short-Tailed Opossum for a pet, but I don't know where I can find one in the Chicago area. Do you? Thanks

COCatMama
02-19-2003, 08:45 PM
Uh, I don't agree with keeping a wild animal as a 'pet'. Why don't you adopt some poor critter at your local SPCA/Pound that needs a home? a bunny, rodent, birdie, reptile, cat or dog?

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
Uh, I don't agree with keeping a wild animal as a 'pet'. Why don't you adopt some poor critter at your local SPCA/Pound that needs a home? a bunny, rodent, birdie, reptile, cat or dog?

You took my words! lol:p

COCatMama
02-19-2003, 08:52 PM
hehehe GMTA!!!! hopefully, he/she takes our advice eh? lotsa poor critters need homes that are in homeless animal shelters :(

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:54 PM
Yeah... Pick a critter from the shelter! There's tons of great ones. And if you need any help with that just go to www.petfinder.org

COCatMama
02-19-2003, 08:59 PM
hee hee hee

Jessica12345
02-19-2003, 09:10 PM
i agree...... ive always dreamed of having a dolphin... but i really dougt thats gonna happen:rolleyes: lol ill keep dreamin though! hehe
good luck finding a good pet!:D

Aspen and Misty
02-19-2003, 09:12 PM
I agree get an animal who needs help. I seen some of the things that happn to wild aniamls who are no longer wanted for whatever reson. Please adopt an animal from your local shelter.

Ash

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Jessica12345
i agree...... ive always dreamed of having a dolphin... but i really dougt thats gonna happen:rolleyes: lol ill keep dreamin though! hehe
good luck finding a good pet!:D

Down here... you can ride a wave runner out in the ocean and dolphins will swim right up beside you! :D

Soledad
02-19-2003, 09:33 PM
I've boated with dolphins here many times. It's amazing!!

That said, why the desire for a possum? I suppose if there is a wild life center nearby that requires a domestic setting for a special needs animal, then maybe, but otherwise I don't see why people seek out undomesticated animals.

Jessica12345
02-19-2003, 09:34 PM
I swam with them once:D but in captivity. they are the best!:D

luckies4me
02-19-2003, 09:51 PM
Actually Short Tailed Opposums make great pets! They are small, friendly and have been kept as pets for a long time, although they are still hard to find. And you can find a rescued one too! Which if I had a rescue here right now I would tell you, but I only have my pets, and they aren't going anywhere. ;)

Contact Helens Little Critters...she is located in Texas. Good luck with your search. :)

moosmom
02-20-2003, 01:11 PM
I agree with Lalania...a wild animal such as a short tailed opposum should NOT be kept as a pet.

Suggestion??? Get a turtle, goldfish or CAT!!! :D

luckies4me
02-20-2003, 01:47 PM
They aren't wild, they are born in captivity. People labeling them as "wild" causes many problems, one making people actually beleive they can survive if let loose into the woods etc. They are exotic, and a LOT of studying etc. goes into these animal. They are NOT for everybody. They can'tbe let loose in the wild and expect them to survive, they will die.

Like Moosmom said...get a cat!!! You can never have too many of those!!! hehe :p :D

Molly Kalafut
05-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi everybody - I think there is some confusion in this thread over the different types of opossums. The "short-tailed opossum" referred to by the original poster is not from the wild.

The wild opossum in the United States is the Virginia opossum (Didelphis virginiana) and they reach a size of up to 20" long and over 10 pounds. They are the largest of the 50+ opossum species.

The short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica) in the USA is a domesticated pet. They are originally from Brazil but have been raised in captivity the United States since the late 1970s. They are quite small - about the size of a large hamster and weigh perhaps 6 ounces at most. They are also sub-tropical, and would die in most parts of the United States if released into the wild since they require temperatures over 60 degrees at all times.

If anyone is interested in more information about short tail opossums, I have a website here (http://www.knowyoursto.com) with photos and care information. :)

Molly

luckies4me
05-30-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi everybody - I think there is some confusion in this thread over the different types of opossums. The "short-tailed opossum" referred to by the original poster is not from the wild.

The short-tailed opossum (Monodelphis domestica) in the USA is a domesticated pet. They are originally from Brazil but have been raised in captivity the United States since the late 1970s.

You said exactly what I was thinking! :D ;) I have one of these guys and he is the best pet ever!

painslie310
09-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I know you have your answer by now but wanted to see how your baby was? I will be gettin getting 2 STOs in about 3 months now and I have already bought everything for them. I am so excited. Do you have pics of yours?? I would love to see them.
Thanks Penny