PDA

View Full Version : Size of 6 month lab?

cgardner
02-19-2003, 04:47 PM
I have a 3 month old chocolate lab and was curious how big he will be at six months of age. I am going on vacation with a friend who has a lab and doberman mix, and was hoping my puppy will be big enough so they could play without my pup getting hurt.:confused: :) :D :p

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 05:15 PM
More then likely, having experience with alot of labs he'll get pretty big. Chocolates are supposed to be the largest of lab breeds. I'm sure the other dogs will know when to stop, especially it being a puppy, dogs kinda "know" Plus your friend could tell them to cut it out if they get to hard on the pup.

A way to kind of check how large it's going to be is by the paws. Large paws= large dog small paws= small dog. But then again that's not always acurrate.

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 05:16 PM
It most likely will double in size by 6 months. They grow rapidly, since they are a large breed. Good quality dog food also aids in helping puppies grow. Since he is a male expect him to grow anywhere from 22" to 25" that is the common size for males. Some can be larger though. My dad's friend, Charlie has a yellow lab (Winston) who weighs 110lbs. It's not fat, just beefy. Winston suffers from hip problems due to his large weight. :(

I would worry more about if your dog is dominant or submissive- those are two bigger factors than size, when it comes to playing with other dogs.

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 05:18 PM
Chocolates are supposed to be the largest of lab breeds.
Color generally is not a factor in size. Wether it be yellow, black, or liver.

Cincy'sMom
02-19-2003, 05:29 PM
my girls are both lab mixes and were pretty close to their final weight at 6 months...the have each gained about 10-15lbs since (50 then/65 now). Most the purebred labs I know are lcoser to 75 lbs...I would guess if the tempernments of the two dogs is right, that will play a bigger part then the size you your dogs. My dogs play as well with dogs under 25 lbs as they do with dogs over 100!

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Color generally is not a factor in size. Wether it be yellow, black, or liver.

I was told chocolate labs are the largest brred of labs, "generally".. And all chocolates i know ARE larger. Blacks are supposed to be smallest, yellow in the middle.

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr

I was told chocolate labs are the largest brred of labs, "generally".. And all chocolates i know ARE larger. Blacks are supposed to be smallest, yellow in the middle.

That is false information. Color has nothing to do with the size!!!
Sadie (Black Lab) is bigger than Buster (Liver) and Zeus (YellowLab) is smaller than Sadie. I've done tons of reserach on Labs, and I have never read anything about this. I might have to re-look over my 95 labrador site bookmarks. There is only one breed of Labradors- so the liver can't be the largest breed. Color is not a breed.

Black and Tan Dachshunds and Brown Dachshunds are two different colors-but they are the same size. A wire hair and smooth hair are the same size (Dachshunds).A black GSD is the same size as a white GSD. A wirehair Pointer is the same as a smooth hair Pointer. A sable and white Smooth-Coated Collie is the same size as a tripple colored Smooth-Haired Collie. A brown min pin is the same size as a black and brown min pin. A long haired St. Bernard is the same size as a smooth hair St. Bernard. A fawn Greyhound is the same size as a black Greyhound. Obviously the size will differ depending on sex etc.- but one color is not larger than the other color. Get my point. :confused: :confused:

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:05 PM
lmao...whatever. I forgot i don't know anything, at all.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Just making sure the correct information is being given to the public-in case people may need it.

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:11 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:17 PM
ps. thanks for your immature message. Next time don't act like you know it all, snob.

slleipnir
02-19-2003, 08:21 PM
YLL: I dont think she ment it as ALL chocolate labs are bigger..its just a generalization..but yeah, black, yellow, choco, they're all the same thing..

Kfamr
02-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Most chocolates i've seen are larger, most yellows aren't too large and blackies are smaller. I didn't mean to say there where a different breed. You just comprehended it sort of wrong. The size of the dog also depends on the size of the parents.

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
its just a generalization..but yeah, black, yellow, choco, they're all the same thing..

Yuppers. :D :D :D

Yellows are still my favorite. Livers and Blacks are tied for 2nd place. :D :D But, I'd own any color Lab. As long as it loves me, I'll love it. :)

slleipnir
02-19-2003, 08:42 PM
You never know, maybe the color gene for chocolate and a bigger size gene are on the same chromosome so they show together..lol. I duno, just a guess ;]

wolf_Q
02-19-2003, 10:44 PM
I've seen a lot of labs, we bath them all the time. I've not seen anything that would indicate that the color has a factor in the size.

One of the biggest labs I've ever seen was a yellow female named Osa. That lab was HUGE. One of the 2nd biggest is a black lab named Bear. Actually, this one week a while ago I bathed like 5 chocolate labs (it was really odd, because I've seen them less then the other 2 colors around here) and they were all average size, 2 were fairly small for a lab.

Maybe it's just around here, but there are SO MANY labs, I know most of them that I see probably aren't very purebred....I swear, if you look in the newspaper 50% of the dogs for sale are labs...sad :(

Desert Arabian
02-19-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
Maybe it's just around here, but there are SO MANY labs, I know most of them that I see probably aren't very purebred....I swear, if you look in the newspaper 50% of the dogs for sale are labs...sad :(

Sad indeed! That is a big problem lately, so many people are breeding them, and it creates new health problems. Such as hip dysplasia. If you do get a Lab from the breeders, be sure it is OFA/CERF certified...that way you know if your dog will have a chance of getting hip dysplasia. Sad, sad, sad, very sad. :( :( :( :(

"Backyard breeders use the papers." I read that on a website a LONG time ago. I don't think it's 100% true though. I'd say 85%.

Brie
02-20-2003, 12:33 AM
Most chocolates i've seen are larger, most yellows aren't too large and blackies are smaller. I didn't mean to say there where a different breed. You just comprehended it sort of wrong. The size of the dog also depends on the size of the parents.

I've seen both. I have a friend with a yellow lab well over 100lbs... and it's not an over weight dog. I've seen black labs nearing 100lbs and have seen chocolate labs maxing out at about 65lb. But, I've also seen various combinations of this.

True. The size of the dog will greatly depend on the size of the parents.

You have a lot more control over your dogs size than you probably think. I know several Great Dane Breeders (just as my example of an extreme here) that take their puppies off of puppy food as early as three-four months of age. The reason being that puppy food has more protein than adult food, this encourages the puppies growth and weight gain. Having a large breed dog, like Great Danes (Lab's, of any color, are also considered large breed dogs) growing to fast can create alot of joint problems and set them up for arthritis later in life. The control you have is by switching to adult food at an earlier age to prevent excessive growth.

And backing up to your original question of will he big enough to play with a lab/dobbie mix, I wouldn't be so concerned with size, but, rather with the temperment of the two dogs.