PDA

View Full Version : Important if you use Google

aly
02-19-2003, 03:57 PM
http://www.google-watch.org/bigbro.html

If you use the Google search engine, read the link above. They are tracking more information from users than they should. Also, Kazaa users should be warned. They are being sued and may be forced to give out privacy info on everyone sharing files so they can go after those people too.

sasvermont
02-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Aly, unless they are giving my social security no. or credit card number out, I could care less. If they want to track my searches, then more power to them. I could care less. I lead such a boring life that they would soon move on to someone more interesting.

Is there someone we should be worried about that I don't get?

Thanks for the warning.

SAS

Sara luvs her Tinky
02-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Wow... I use google all the time...
I am very computer illeterate and have no idea what half that said but I don't think I will be using them anymore.

lynnestankard
02-19-2003, 05:04 PM
HE HE HE HE HE!!

I'm a bit like Sallyann - if they want to trawl through my boring searches - they must be sad!! I bet their convinced I'm the sad nerd who should get a life!!!
But all the same Aly - thanks for the warning and I'll probably use one of the other search engines from now on!!!!

Lynne

Aspen and Misty
02-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by aly
They are being sued and may be forced to give out privacy info on everyone sharing files so they can go after those people too.

What do you mean? There going to sue the people who use Kazaa???

Ash

Miss Meow
02-19-2003, 05:26 PM
Most sites plant cookies on your hard drive unless you change your settings to screen them so the first bit of that warning isn't that concerning.

BUT, these two are a bit of a worry:

5. Google hires spooks:
Matt Cutts, a key Google engineer, used to work for the National Security Agency. Google wants to hire more people with security clearances, so that they can peddle their corporate assets to the spooks in Washington.

[this is only speculation, but it's a concern if true]

6. Google's toolbar is spyware:
With the advanced features enabled, Google's free toolbar for Explorer phones home with every page you surf. Yes, it reads your cookie too, and sends along the last search terms you used in the toolbar. Their privacy policy confesses this, but that's only because Alexa lost a class-action lawsuit when their toolbar did the same thing, and their privacy policy failed to explain this. Worse yet, Google's toolbar updates to new versions quietly, and without asking. This means that if you have the toolbar installed, Google essentially has complete access to your hard disk every time you phone home. Most software vendors, and even Microsoft, ask if you'd like an updated version. But not Google.

[if you install the Google toolbar on your web browser, Google doesn't just check what you search, it takes note of EVERYTHING YOU DO. That's a bit too invasive for me]

mugsy
02-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Big Brother is right. I do not like the idea that they can track your IP address and customize your searches. If I want it customized I can do it myself. It sounds like they are turning into AOL decided what you can and cannot see.

Edwina's Secretary
02-19-2003, 05:45 PM
I'm not particularly computer literate....but this document sends my radar up -- for other reasons.

If the person writing this is so concerned about privacy...aren't they invading Matt Cutt's privacy by broadcasting his work history? (After all....people who work for the National Security Agency have to work somewhere when they leave the agency!)

After 20 years in human resources....I have to say this smells a bit like disgruntled employee/former employee to me -- with a touch of paranoia tossed in.

Soledad
02-19-2003, 09:30 PM
I don't know, it still scares me. There is all sorts of creepy stuff going on because of great new things like TIA (http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/01/29/tia_privacy/index.html) . *Shudder*

I don't like the idea that someone can pull up so much information on me for many reasons.

Jessica12345
02-19-2003, 09:40 PM
:eek: I use google and kazza like 24/7!

popcornbird
02-19-2003, 10:06 PM
I usually use Yahoo but sometimes use Google to search for images and stuff :) I don't search for anything except birds and animations, or sometimes animal images, but I don't think they should be spying on people. I've never used Kazaa though.

Karen
02-19-2003, 10:15 PM
I use Google and still will. Who cares if they "employ spooks?" Just because a person once worked for a NAtional Security Agency doesn't mean he's a "spy" or that he cares anything about what I search for. For goodness sakes, the guy could have been a file clerk at the NSA, or a cook in the lunchroom - does that mean we should never patronize anyone who employs ex-military or ex-FBI or ex-NSA? No.

No one says you have to install the Toolbar thing.

No one says you have to have cookies enabled to use Google.

I do not believe information is a bad thing. People can do bad things, yes, but when has that NOT been true?

I am not ashamed of anything I have ever "Googled" for.

Soledad
02-19-2003, 10:32 PM
I'm not ashamed of anything I've Googled either. That's not really the point. It's a matter of what right do people have to collect information on you and what will then happen to that information.

I have grave concerns about how this plays into the justice system, etc.

aly
02-20-2003, 12:00 AM
Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers :)

Just thought it was interesting info you might wanna know. I think the bigger threat is Kazaa. I will try to find a link to post with info on that.

Paul
02-20-2003, 12:26 AM
   Thank you Aly for your post. It's an interesting website. Although, I disagree with most of it. People who are worried about cookies should consider installing a cookie management program. I clean out my cookies manually - *except the Pet Talk cookies* - once a week. I also read my junk snail mail before I throw it away.

I remember when one of world's largest computer companies beta tested AltaVista. It was amazing. There was nothing like it. Although, even when they went public they did not have their own domain name. Then came Hotbot/Inktomi then came Google. Today DEC no longer exists and Google is amazing. It would be nice if Google had real competition.

Paul

Soledad
02-20-2003, 12:32 AM
I don't think anyone should get upset by it. I'm glad that I know this, and that's all it is about: having information to make choices you feel safe about. Regardless of whether you choose to Google after reading it doesn't matter, what matters is that you are now making a more informed decision.

Twisterdog
02-20-2003, 12:32 AM
Frankly, any time you connect to the internet, you are opening yourself up for potential problems. It's a fact, and if one doesn't believe it, one is perhaps being a bit naive. It's a price you pay to surf the net.

Is it unethical and an invasion of privacy? Sure it is. But did they disclose it in their privacy statement? Yes, they did. Apparently no one bothered to read it ... myself included. If you don't read the fine print, well, then you can't really complain.

I NEVER install toolbars, etc. And I'm very careful with cookies. I also have ALL attachment but .jpg's blocked from email, and I have an aggressive firewall program. Surfing the net without these things is not a good idea at all.

The internet is the wild frontier right now. It's too big, too new and too dynamic for anyone to monitor effectively. We all have to take care of ourselves.

Pam
02-20-2003, 04:41 PM
This is an area where my hubby and I get into some heated discussions. He says this is the tip of the iceberg where privacy is concerned. He has been talking about Big Brother for as long as I have known him. I tell him I don't mind Google tracking me because, like others, my life is an open book and I am also boring! :) How fitting that I received the following link in the mail tonight from my brother-in-law. Thought it was sort of cute. :)

http://users.chartertn.net/tonytemplin/FBI_eyes/

AmylovesMisty
02-20-2003, 07:16 PM
So who cares what im searching for..i search for graphics and certain websites! I still will use Google!!

Jessica12345
02-20-2003, 07:17 PM
i will too! but thanks for the warning!