PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat and the snow

emily_the_spoiled
02-19-2003, 11:48 AM
As I am sure most people have heard, the East Coast of the US got a BIG dump of snow this past weekend. I have a stray cat living in the apartment complex that I have been feeding (quite well). I have tried to dig out her hiding spot. After spending hours digging through the bushes, I still can't seem to find it. My question is: will she be okay for a few days without food? She has gained alot of weight since I had her spayed. It looks like she has some excess weight and she has plenty of access to snow (for the water). I have been told that her little hiding hole is by the hot water pipes into the building, so she should be okay for warmth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me?

moosmom
02-19-2003, 03:26 PM
Emily,

Any way the management can help you get the kitten out? What I worry about is the hot water pipe she may be next to. I'd hate to see her get hurt. Plus, are you SURE the cat is in there and didn't find another safe haven???

Try a 20 gal. Rubbermaid bin with lid and flip it over and cut a hole in it so she can get in and out. Line it with newspaper, straw and an old blanket. Keep food and water out for her as well. Stick a little salt in the water so the water doesn't freeze if the temperature drops.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Randi
02-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Stick a little salt in the water so the water doesn't freeze if the temperature drops.
That sounds like a brilliant advice! :) I didn't know that.
As you know, I'm also feeding Pjevs in out yard and his bowl of water has been frozen a few times recently. :( I will definately try this! ;)

emily_the_spoiled
02-20-2003, 07:52 AM
I don't know for SURE that the cat is by the hot water pipes. When she has had kittens that tends to be the place that she stays. I put food out for her every day and normally she stays on my patio in an insulated little hut (on the second floor). But no one has seen her since Saturday night (before the serious snow started). She is pure white so she can be difficult to see amidst all of the snow...

I am hoping that with the increase in temperature and the snow melting, she will come back.

emily_the_spoiled
02-21-2003, 09:33 AM
My porch kitty survived the snow :D :D :D She showed up for supper last night, looking a little thinner but doing just fine.

ramanth
02-21-2003, 11:28 AM
Glad to hear she's back! :D

NoahsMommy
02-28-2003, 03:38 PM
That's wonderful news!! :) How long does she stay in the hut on your balcony? It would be neat if she would decide to live there.

moosmom
03-01-2003, 10:33 AM
I'm glad kitty came back. Cats ALWAYS remember where their food source is. Great job!

emily_the_spoiled
03-02-2003, 12:40 PM
She usually only spends a couple of hours a night in the hut on my porch. I would really like to work with her and bring her inside, but I need a larger apartment to be able to do that. But in the mean time she gets wet food twice a day, can free feed off dry food and has a warm place to stay. :D :D

kimlovescats
03-02-2003, 09:21 PM
Good job .... you are helping her a great deal.... THANK YOU!:D

AvaJoy
03-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
My porch kitty survived the snow :D :D :D She showed up for supper last night, looking a little thinner but doing just fine.

Same here . . . Lisette gave us quite a scare after the snowfall when she was no where to be found for a whole day! She always comes to her name being called, so we were concerned that maybe a snowplow buried her in a snow bank or possibly she became trapped in a snow drift. Luckily neither was the case, as she turned up eventually . . . eager for the meals she missed!:)