PDA

View Full Version : A little more Minnie???

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Well, things have been SLOW with Minnie the semi-feral. She is comfortably residing in my upstairs spare bedroom closet, and I have moved all the shoes to one side. She has two comfy quilts to rest on, and my long summer dresses provide a shield to the rest of us. I leave the closet door open, but do close the spare room door every 12-18 hours for 'privacy'.

So, Monday night, I decided to give the herd catnip. Not only was it a huge diaster (but in a good way), but, they kept me up all night. I had put some in Minnie's room, which just made Dakky beat at the door all night to get in. By Tuesday (yesterday), all the real catnip was gone, but, the little pieces were still everywhere (including my bed, but, I digress). So, I was home after work last night, and re-closing the spare bedroom door. For some reason, I stopped to peek in at Minnie. She wasn't in the closet :eek: :eek: But, she was in the hidey hole box across the room ;) . I closed the door, and then a few minutes later, I needed to get in there again. As I opened the door...there was MINNIE! Just kind of sitting there, looking at me :eek: :eek: I became a human statue. She just stared and stared (did I have spinach in my teeth:confused: ). She then walked into the closet. I went on about my business, closed the door, and a few minutes later, I again had need to go into the room. Again, there she was :eek: :eek: Just staring at me from the middle of the room!!! I backed up from the door, and she did the "I am going to look out the door, but, I am not going to move my body, instead, my neck is going to become like a giraffe's" It was as if she was looking at the action in the hall- which consisted of Shamu I and Shamu II on the rug....I called to her, and put out my hand (which was still a good 6 feet from her), and into the closet she went.

This is a huge step for Minnie-kind! She hasn't ever stood still and looked at me before. I can't figure out what she wanted??? But, it is progress!!! I love MINNIE!!! The baby that she is!!!

Thanks for caring.

catland
02-19-2003, 11:32 AM
that's so wonderful - maybe the catnip caused her to drop her guard a little?

thanks for sharing - I always enjoy Minnie-updates.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2003, 11:36 AM
That's wonderful news! And she was actually interested in what was going on outside the door! Slow but sure she seems to be coming out. You never know, it might be like SAS, Gabe, Graemer and Miley that she gets along with the cats better than she gets along with you - until she sees more and more of them trusting you and she learns from them that you really are ok and can be trusted.

Little baby steps eventually lead to giant leaps for Minnie-kind. :)

wolflady
02-19-2003, 11:38 AM
Yay for Minnie!! I have no doubt that she will come around sooner or later. I bet it's really exciting for you to see the transition! You're such a wonderful and patient meowmie!! Have any new pictures of her to share??!! ;) :D :)
**hugs**
Karen

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 11:45 AM
I did snap a few this morning...but, I am still on SNAIL film, so, we will have to wait....

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
which consisted of Shamu I and Shamu II on the rug....

Oh, I forgot to say I LMAO at this description. :D :D

The rest of this catnip story sounds kind of intriguing itself - "disaster" "pieces everywhere....including my bed" "Shamu I an Shamu II" - do tell!

neko1
02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Hooray for Minnie!!!!

Barbara
02-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Way to go Minnie!!!

If you look at Fister's story it looks similar how he conquered the apartment.

BTW: me not understand Shamu thingie??

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
Way to go Minnie!!!

BTW: me not understand Shamu thingie??

Ah, Shamu is a whale....I think he currently resides in captivity in Florida....it was a 'fat joke', making fun of Dakky and Tenny, who look VERY much like beached (whales that got stuck on the beach)whales. Since Daks and Ten-ten look identical, I call them this sometimes....

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom

Oh, I forgot to say I LMAO at this description. :D :D

The rest of this catnip story sounds kind of intriguing itself - "disaster" "pieces everywhere....including my bed" "Shamu I an Shamu II" - do tell!

I got this wild idea to indulge the cats on Monday night. I put it on the floor of my room, to witness the crazyness from my bed. Well, things got totally out of control. Allie was zooming around on the rug...except, she never lost contact with it. She looked like this little car on a racetrack...all four on the floor, and moving independently. Dakky 'flew' from the bed (which sits four feet off the ground) ONTO Tenny. This startled Tenny, who flew out of the bedroom into the bathroom, and crashed into the wall on account of the rugs not staying put. This was tame compared to the 2 am 'accident' in the kitchen. I heard the distinct noise of a wine bottle hitting the floor. I went to the kitchen, sans glasses, and saw the catnip merlot bottle on the floor. Nothing broke. I put it on the counter, and went to bed. I must have missed the plastic tub of catnip on the floor, that somehow cracked open on the bottom. Well, think "kongs for cats"...cause they spent the entire night batting the thing all over, and suffice it to say, my kitchen looked like Spice War III! My cats were COVERED in catnip. I petted Tenny at some point in the night, and realized he had a dandruff problem that even a giant bottle of Head and Shoudlers couldn't cure. Oh, yeah, he was under the covers with me, too. Too bad I didn't need a little exfoliation at 3 AM!!! I got up, put on sweats, and went back to bed. I figured I would get too it in the am....I think I had catnip in my coffee this am! It is everywhere in my house. That is the story, and I am sticking to it. I currently am investigating boarding school for the herd...any takers?

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2003, 12:33 PM

Ah, Shamu is a whale....I think he currently resides in captivity in Florida....it was a 'fat joke', making fun of Dakky and Tenny, who look VERY much like beached (whales that got stuck on the beach)whales. Since Daks and Ten-ten look identical, I call them this sometimes....

Pictures would do wonders in the explanation dept. :D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2003, 12:35 PM
I got this wild idea to indulge the cats on Monday night. .......I currently am investigating boarding school for the herd...any takers?

LOL :D :D I can just picture it. What a riot - for me reading it that is. I'm sure it was a different story for you when you woke up and realized that catnip was everywhere!

Oh, and you can send Tenny my way. We've got lots of room for a Shamu. :D

jonza
02-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Barbara
Way to go Minnie!!!

So true, so true! But as we've always said, time heals all those little problems of shyness and timidity. Fister is becoming an absolute TYRANT nowadays, so perhaps you shouldn't be in any hurry, sounds as if you've got enough of them in the house already! :D :D

Well done Cataholic!

john

Vermontcat
02-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Here is a photo of Shamu I and Shamu II!
http://www.seaworld.com/seaworld/fla/_images/image_shamu.jpg For more info on the two you can go to www.seaworld.com

Great story Cat! I am glad Minnie is getting out more and that is a funny story about the other cats getting into your catnip stash. That must have been some party!:D

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Way to go VermontCat!!!!!!! That is Tenny and Dakky, both flying into the food bowl!!!

Russian Blue
02-19-2003, 01:10 PM
I haven't followed the story on Minnie. How long have you had her?

Either way, that is a big step! I have known many people who work with ferals and they can easily take up to a year before any 'real' progress can be made.

Woohoo!

;)

jenluckenbach
02-19-2003, 01:17 PM
I don't even KNOW where to start!!!!!!!!!

Yeah Minnie !!

Send them here, mine will teach them a thing or two.......

Tenny and Dakky do NOT look alike !!!!!

cat nip kong.:eek: way to funny

"snail film" love the terminology!:p

Did I miss anything?

02-19-2003, 01:19 PM
Hurray for Minnie , and for you too Cataholic !!!:) :)

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Tenny and Dakky do NOT look alike !!!!!

You only say that cause you have some crazy love affair with Tenny, who can't WAIT for Spring to "Roll Out" his new name.....

Tennis , of course....

jenluckenbach
02-19-2003, 01:22 PM
that is correct. You can always pick out your true love, even in a sea of black and white

Cataholic
02-19-2003, 01:24 PM
RB,
Some one far greater than I will have to 'link' you to Minnie's story. But, in short, I have had her since July. She had been in a shelter since April. She was part of a TNR program and determined to be not feral enough to have survived. She lived in my basement from July to October when, for reasons untold, she appeared under my bed! I can now pet her, she purrs for me, I cry for her, she does elevator butt, and has played with a string once or twice. She will eat with me in the room, but not really in her sight. I haven't yet seen her walk upright...but, I am waiting. She is totally beautiful...with a little goatee mark, and an ear that was dipped in milk. She looks like Tenny, a little bit, but more mushed in nose. Her markings aren't as defined as my other tuxies...she is more 'runny'. She is very little.....so much for short, eh?

jenluckenbach
02-19-2003, 01:35 PM
the first thread;
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14470&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

then an update
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16372&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

and more
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19638&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

read your heart out!!

zippy-kat
02-19-2003, 01:48 PM
that is correct. You can always pick out your true love, even in a sea of black and white

(*covers K'Cee's ears! lol*) Proving for once and all, that love IS black and white with no shades of grey? (Just Kidding K'CeeKat ....Ya know I luv ya! *smOOch*)

Tenny's my fav. too!!

Miss Meow
02-19-2003, 03:13 PM
...This is a huge step for Minnie-kind!

LOL!!! Fantastic news!

krazyaboutkatz
02-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Way to go Minnie!! :D I predict that by the end of this year, she'll be sleeping with you on the bed and hopefully hanging out with the rest of your herd. :)

All Creatures Great And Small
02-19-2003, 10:04 PM
ROTFLOLWP (wp=wetting pants) laughing about Shamu I and Shamu II!!! That's actually one of my daughter's nicknames for me :D ! I was also in hysterics about the Festa Del Catnip going on in your room all night - very descriptive, I could imagine all of that and then some.

I'm also glad to hear that Minnie is making progress - she'll come out of her shell eventually, in such a happy, cat-filled household. You have the patience and love to coach her slowly.

Now I know you can afford a digital camera, so we impatient Pet Talkers can get instant fixes of tuxes! Otherwise I'll start a collection for you, like I was going to do for Jen to get her a scanner :D :D :p ;) ...........

shais_mom
02-20-2003, 12:29 AM
Great great story Johanna!!
And I am so glad that Minnie is slowing coming around, how precious!!

Kylie is kinda like a beached whale but not a killer one, make sense? But she doesn't get excited over catnip. :(

Vio&Juni
02-20-2003, 05:50 AM
I was thinking not so long ago about Minnie. I guess, it was time for another step and she did it :)
Pictures!

marysmerrycats
02-20-2003, 10:48 AM
LOl this is a great thread! I loved reading about Minnie:D
my patches could be Shamu 111:)

lynnestankard
02-20-2003, 11:53 AM
Great News - come one Minnie we're all here 'rooting' for your sweetheart. Next time I bet we hear you're running with the 'herd'!!! :) :)

Lynne

ChrisH
02-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Thanks Johanna for the update.:) Its lovely to hear of Minnies progress, how she is coming around. I am so pleased for you both.:)

Chris

Jessica12345
02-20-2003, 01:31 PM
horray minnie! way to go! *HUGS!* :D

cute story:)

Russian Blue
02-20-2003, 02:35 PM
the first thread;
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14470&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

then an update
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16372&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

and more
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19638&highlight=minnie+OR+new+cat

read your heart out!!

Thanks for the links. I'm going to go read now!

;)

Russian Blue
02-20-2003, 02:54 PM
I read the story of Minnie. How wonderful for you! I'm so happy for the progress!!

This whole journey is just fascinating and it really makes you thankful for the little things in life.

Woohooo!!

:D

shais_mom
02-20-2003, 11:31 PM
i read the stoey also, it was great!!
Like getting to know Johanna and the herd again!!

:):)

catmandu
02-22-2003, 09:42 AM
:D :D Graet News about Minnie! I have adopted several scardey Cats over the years , and your approach is correct , to let the Cat come to you at thier own pace! Sheba , who lost her Guardians and best friend is scared and hides in the closet as well. Princess after 10 years is still nervous but getting better! Patience!