PDA

View Full Version : A kitten rescue story

smokey the elder
02-19-2003, 08:16 AM
Last July we had a bad situation where our rescue group intervened. An old man was doing his best to take care of a mess of cats but he was dying of cancer. His nephew called us up and we trapped over 2 dozen adults and kittens. I ended up with a female who was nursing two(!) litters, two weeks in age apart.

The youngest ones were less than 24 hours old. They still had the umbilical cords attached; one was wrapped around the leg. They were all tangled together; they look like they were born all at once, instead of one at a time.

There were three older ones and four tiny ones. Within a week, I lost two of the tiny ones. One of the older ones died of kidney failure at 9 weeks. The younger litter, and Dax, the momcat, were very polydactyl. Screech and Bailey were both 7-7-6-6 on the front and back, almost a record!

Here they are.

smokey the elder
02-19-2003, 08:17 AM
Some Mahopac monsters having supper.

smokey the elder
02-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Now it's naptime.

smokey the elder
02-19-2003, 08:19 AM
Duh, forgot the picture.

smokey the elder
02-19-2003, 08:21 AM
Bailey was one of the tiny ones that made it. He was adopted, then returned, so was allowed to be in the general population. He now had a wonderful home. Here he is with Mobius.

neko1
02-19-2003, 09:02 AM
They are absolutely adorable! I wish I had a whole bunch of orangie kittens in my house!

moosmom
02-19-2003, 09:13 AM
I am in LOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!! Neko1 I'm with you. I'd love to have a household full of orange babies.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-19-2003, 09:16 AM
Awww...what little cuties! I'm so glad you were able to intervene and save some of these sweeties. And I think it's great that Mobius and your other "keepers" seem to accept all the comings and goings of your fosters and rescues. What a great thing you do! And I'm so glad we finally get to see pictures of them all. :D

rg_girlca
02-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Talk about cuteness overload. My gosh they are sooooo adorable. Hats off to you girl for taking care of these precious babies.

Just out of curiousity in regards to the tiny one. You said he was adopted and then returned. Why was he returned?

HayleyRosie
02-19-2003, 10:48 AM
I am in love. I would love to have one of those beauties. Or all of them!

Barbara
02-20-2003, 03:03 AM
Awwwwww How cute they are!

So glad you could rescue so many of these sweeties.

02-20-2003, 07:02 AM
Oohhhhhhhhhh , how sweet !!!
Thanks for the story!! http://www.gifpix.de/Blumen/00002059.gif

smokey the elder
02-20-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by rg_girlca
Talk about cuteness overload. My gosh they are sooooo adorable. Hats off to you girl for taking care of these precious babies.

Just out of curiousity in regards to the tiny one. You said he was adopted and then returned. Why was he returned?

I placed him with an older lady who had not had a kitten for many years. Well, he was too "busy" for her, got underfoot and almost caused her to fall. She was heartbroken when she had to give him up. He's now with a family with two little boys!

smokey the elder
02-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Screech was one of the 24 hour old ones. At 7 weeks he developed a severe URI. He and his brothers and sisters went to the vet, where they got de-flea'd and some Amoxi, and some Terramycin for their eyes. Soon they were eating voraciously. Screech went from the runt of the litter to, at 9 weeks, 3.5 lbs!! He's going to be a REAL monster.

A family with an 11 year old girl wanted to adopt him. I was reluctant to place him since the little girl was supposed to be allergic. But she must have held him for an hour, and never a sniffle or a red eye, so their doctor was talking thru his hat! He is doing very well.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
02-20-2003, 10:23 AM
Awww...another adorable orange baby. Screech sure looks like a little sweety, and the girl must have fell in love if she held him for an hour. :)

moosmom
02-20-2003, 01:16 PM
How adorable!! If you take a close look at Screech's front paw, you can see that he's polydactyl (extra thumb). If only I didn't have so many cats already. *sigh* :rolleyes: