PDA

View Full Version : Bonding with Raven

Glacier
02-19-2003, 12:10 AM
Raven is an 18 month old husky mix who has been residing here for about three months now as a foster dog. She has spent most of her young life in our local humane society. She's a very pretty black and white girl with the cutest little ridge of hair right in the middle of her head--it will not lay down flat! She's a lovely dog, but I have had some trouble attaching to Raven. It was my husband's idea to bring her home--he's sucker for sad
brown eyes! Ravem is very hyper, a little kennel crazy and squeals like she's being killed when she's happy. I have actually had a neighbor call to ask what I was doing to that dog. It took some convincing to get him to believe that the noise is her happy sound!

Six weeks ago I put Raven in harness and threw her in wheel, just to see what would happen. It was like a light went on in her little brain--"I was bred for this--let's go" She is a pulling machine, took to a harness like she was born in one and is now in training as a leader! She loves to skijor too and we are entered in a fun race this coming weekend. I also discovered
that Raven is much easier to deal with when she's tired and nothing gets her to relax like pulling for 15 kms! She's sweet, cuddly and all she wants is a little affection. Much easier dog to bond to now!

For the last couple weeks we have been working on house manners--ie, not eating my kitten! Tonight I put her up on the couch. She started to tremble and for the first time ever, she ducked when I went to pet her ears! She's never shown any signs of being hand shy before. She jumped down and
settled in by my feet. About 15 minutes later, she sat up and gave me a very questioning look. I patted the couch and up Raven jumped. She nestled in against me and we watched Gilmore Girls together. Another first--She licked me! Raven doesn't give kisses. My heart just melted. Any
reservations I still had about this dog are now gone. She is a great little dog and she deserves the absolute best forever home!

anna_66
02-19-2003, 06:51 AM
She sounds like an absolute doll! I'm so glad she's finally found her calling in life:)
Do you have any pictures of her?

Logan
02-19-2003, 07:46 AM
Oh, Glacier, it sounds as if you are a perfect foster home for her! You are doing exactly what fosters are supposed to do, helping to acclimate her and letting her know that she doesn't need to be afraid. This makes my heart sing!!!! :) Hug her for me, please!!!

Tanya&Fritz
02-19-2003, 07:50 AM
Is there any way you can keep her? That's why I could never foster, I couldn't give them away :eek:

micki76
02-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Ravem is very hyper, a little kennel crazy and squeals like she's being killed when she's happy. I have actually had a neighbor call to ask what I was doing to that dog. It took some convincing to get him to believe that the noise is her happy sound!

LOL!!! Millie does this too and I've had a neighbor open their door and ask if they could help!

Pictures soon? :D

Glacier
02-19-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Tanya&Fritz
Is there any way you can keep her? That's why I could never foster, I couldn't give them away :eek:

LOL, we might keep her actually especially since she likes to pull. We've adopted several who can't or won't pull so we are considering keeping Raven. We have kept a couple of our fosters already, but we are able to let some of them go!

ramanth
02-19-2003, 12:24 PM
She sounds like an angel. :D

Now off to look at her pics! ;)

Dakota's Mommy
02-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Yes, Yes, Pictures please!

mugsy
02-19-2003, 12:39 PM
I'm with Tanya, we have tried fostering and kept them all (except one that we wanted and the SPCA wouldn't let us, which is why we dissolved our relationship with them). I just get WAY too attached. I admire all who can open their homes and hearts to these dogs waiting to find their forever homes.

Glacier
02-19-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
I'm with Tanya, we have tried fostering and kept them all (except one that we wanted and the SPCA wouldn't let us, which is why we dissolved our relationship with them). I just get WAY too attached. I admire all who can open their homes and hearts to these dogs waiting to find their forever homes.

Some of them just rip my heart out when they leave. I always make sure their adoptive parents know how to reach me and that I want to know how they are doing. I keep a book of pictures and significant events for each foster and that goes with them when they leave along with favorite toys, blankets ect. I also have a deal with the shelter we foster for that should any of my former fosters come back, they come directly to my house forever. Fortunately, it hasn't happened yet, but if it does we have the room to accomodate.

Only once was I actually thrilled to see a foster go. The day Summit got adopted I practically did a happy dance as her daddy drove away with her! She was dog aggressive and keeping her isolated was way too much work--150 pounds of aggressive malamutt was not fun! Fortunately, her new daddy is able to deal with her effectively and loves her to bits! Usually, I am a crying mess when they leave!