PDA

View Full Version : I'm just furious!

Chinadoll
02-18-2003, 08:22 PM
I come home from work today to find one of those darn "Someone was in your apartment" yellow tag next to my new stick on carbon monoxide detector. I'm furious! When I signed the lease I was told I would be given notice if someone needed to come in and do work. I was also told the only time they would enter without me knowing in advance was if it was an extreme emergancy like the ceiling caved in from the apartment above, pipes busted etc... I don't call a darn stick on carbon monoxide detector an emergancy. If they were really concerned about that don't you think they would have gotten that done in say oh THE BEGINNING OF WINTER?!

I'm so glad none of the cats got out. They always wait by the door and Scout tries to escape. But what if? Also, I've been so busy with work and midterms that my apt. that I'm usually so anal about keeping neat was a disaster. I am so embarressed that someone saw my dirty laundry in my living room, the dishes in the sink, the groceries not put away, papers from studying strewn around the living room, not to mention I didn't have time to scoop the litter boxes this morning. I wouldn't let my own mother set foot in the place looking like this! I'm horrified that a complete stranger was in my home without me being there.

Needless to say, my place is spotless now and I've put in a call to the management office and they should call me tomorrow. Does anyone see anything wrong in this?!

Fuzzy317
02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
You are right, they should give you notice that they will be in your apartment. When we rented, I think the contract said they had to give a days notice prior. I would check on that. Glad no one got out :)

Desert Arabian
02-18-2003, 09:36 PM
I think that is extremely rude. Terribly rude. I can't even imagine how I would react if that happened to me. WOW! I can't believe how rude that is. :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

Glad to hear none of your cats got out though, at least there is SOME good news.

Nomilynn
02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
I don't think that's right.. what an invasion of privacy!

aly
02-18-2003, 10:24 PM
That has happened to me many times in many different apartments... grrr, I hate it!

My friend's husband does maintenence at an apartment complex. He's a real dog lover and VERY cautious about entering apartments and even still one has darted the door on him. He spent 6 hours walking and driving around until he got a call that the dog was back at the apartment... phew.

popcornbird
02-18-2003, 10:27 PM
That is SO mean! Total invasion of privacy! I'm glad your kitties are safe! :eek: I wouldn't want anyone entering my house, even if there weren't any pets that could escape! You don't want any guy to see all your private stuff! That is SO rude! I'm glad I don't live in an apartment!

Chinadoll
02-18-2003, 10:57 PM
Thanks everyone. It was an invasion of privacy. I sure wouldn't have left laundry in the living room if I knew someone was coming....as well as so many other things that would have been picked up....and I would have made darn sure all the critters were secure. I can't tell you how IRATE I would have been had I come home to one of them gone. I don't see much happenning aside from me complaining, getting their lame excuse why they didn't give notice, and assurance it won't happen again. I'm so tempted to change the locks.

Soledad
02-18-2003, 11:30 PM
That is definitely something you could contact a community law centre about. I had a lot of issues with a landlord of mine and my flat mate was a law student so she would write the most amazing letters to the landlord and basically scare the bejeezus out of him with her grasp of the law and vocab. It's worth it as they never mess with you again!!

Chinadoll
02-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Soledad
That is definitely something you could contact a community law centre about. I had a lot of issues with a landlord of mine and my flat mate was a law student so she would write the most amazing letters to the landlord and basically scare the bejeezus out of him with her grasp of the law and vocab. It's worth it as they never mess with you again!!

Great idea. Loyola Law School is basically across the street from my classes now...I'll have to mosey on over there and make some new friends! Some others have already told me that I need to put this writing...which I'm in the process of.

I just don't understand what happenned. The lady in the management office who takes care of this building has always been great, knows about the furries etc.. I don't know why she'd send maintenance without telling me...she always lets me know....But, I'm sure going to find out tomorrow.

lynnestankard
02-19-2003, 07:00 AM
I'm so appalled that a complete stranger would be let into your apartment - I find that so wrong. Can't things that are non-urgent be done in the evening or over the week-end?
I'd be having words about this too Tiff.

Lynne

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-19-2003, 07:21 AM
Chinadoll, I am so glad that your furbabies are all safe and accounted for! I too would be furoius if the landlord hadn't given me a day's notice before entering my apartment. I am fairly certain that it is a requirement by law and should be in your lease.

Good that you contacted management to let them know.

HoRsELUvR
02-19-2003, 12:44 PM
That is incredibly rude and it's tresspassing!they shouldn't come in unless ur in real danger! they should have told u they were coming!i cant believe how rude the are!:mad: at least your cats didnt get out.

Jessica12345
02-19-2003, 12:56 PM
omg! thats so rude! wouldnt it be illegal to "tresspass?" well..... i would be pissed if someone did that.:mad: grrrrrrrrr! ill bite their heads off! :o sorry... i get a little carried away:o :rolleyes: :p

glad your kitties are ok1:eek: :D :eek: :D ;)

marysmerrycats
02-20-2003, 08:06 PM
I don't blame you for being upset! I would really tell the management about the possibility of the cats getting out! do they realize that you have cats, and how upsetting to you it would be if they got out? would you be allowed to put a sign on the door stating that there are cats inside ?
and the privacy thing, I would be upset too, as I am a slob alot of the time!:eek:

horror story from years ago:
a friends apt. needed something repaired, when her and I stopped by her house to see if it was done, we smelled gas! the idiot repairman had left the gas stove turned on! worse, we were both about to light our cigarettes!

Edwina's Secretary
02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
Many, many years ago, when I still lived in the same town as my parents, I read the book Helter Skelter -- about Charles Manson and his horrible gang. One of the things they did before they killed was sneak in the house and rearrange the furniture to scare the family. The book so frightened me I stayed with my parents for a few days.

When I finally returned to my hovel of an apartment I opened the door and ---- the furniture was out of place. I was afraid to enter.

I stood there -- in panic -- what to do???? Finally a neighbor came along and told me maintenance had been in about the windows and moved the furniture to get to them.

No note, no call, nothing -- just rearranged furniture!

Soledad
02-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Ackkkk! That's horrible!

That's like the first time I babysat and my brothers wouldn't stop making calls to the house for me to "check the children." I had just watched that movie (don't remember the title) and was hysterical.

marysmerrycats
02-20-2003, 09:48 PM
oh no! Edwina's secretary, I wouldhave been SOOO frightened too! I wouldn't want to go in either:eek: :(
and Soledad, brothers sure can be rotten at times right?
are your brothers younger or older? (rotten just the same LOL)

Soledad
02-20-2003, 10:06 PM
Two older, one younger, all rotten! :D

They loved torturing me and convinced me that the attic door in my closet was actually a portal into a ghost world.

marysmerrycats
02-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Chinadoll
did you tell the management?