PDA

View Full Version : agility at shelters

lovemyshiba
02-17-2003, 10:29 PM
I read this cool story in Dog Fancy, about a shelter in Medford, Oregon, that treats the dogs to playtime on equipment used for agility. People can watch the dogs do it, plus it gets them out of the shelter and play, and they can "show off" in front of potential adopters.
Other shelters that do it are the San Francisco SPCA and the Upper Valley Humane Society (Enfield, NH).

I really think this is a great idea. At least the dogs can enjoy the time they have to stay there, plus learn some new stuff and play and have fun.

wolf_Q
02-18-2003, 01:26 AM
I read that article too! I subscribe to Dog Fancy. :D I think it's a great idea. I'd love to teach Nebo agility....I'm not sure if he'd make it though!

delidog
02-18-2003, 08:34 AM
They also do that in many shelters in Fl...I know one was featured on animal planet...Naples,I think...I know...lower West Coast...also at Martin co. shelter...they have a little course set up...and give lessons...it is great!!!;) :) :D

Jessica12345
02-18-2003, 09:11 AM
thats a great idea!

i built jewls an agility course in my backyard, with the weaving thing out of sticks and built jumps. im trying to teach her but not doing to good:rolleyes: lol:D

Dogz
02-18-2003, 12:13 PM
I get Dog Fancy too, and I read that! I also saw on Animal Planet that (I can't remember where they do it) they take dogs from the local shelter, and bring them to the prison, and a certain dog gets to work with a certain person, and then each week they have to bring them to a place where they show off the tricks that they taught them that week. Then they people can see how the dogs improve. I thought that this was a really good idea because the dogs can have obedience, and have a better relasionship with people. It can give the dogs a better chance in finding a new home. It also makes the people feel better in themselves.
What do you think?

lovemyshiba
02-18-2003, 12:15 PM
Oh I saw something about that last week during the Westminster show--it was called puppies behind bars--I thought it was pretty cool!!!

aly
02-18-2003, 01:47 PM
At the shelter I volunteer at, we recently made a Field of Dreams where we got agility equipment donated. It was so much fun and the dogs loved it until our equipment was stolen and vandalized. Now we just have some cheap wood crates and stuff out there and its not so much fun for the dogs :(

But at least there's still that area for them to run around in.

Dixieland Dancer
02-18-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by wolf_Q
I'd love to teach Nebo agility....I'm not sure if he'd make it though!

I bet Nebo would love agility! Try it with him Amy... I bet you would become an agility fanatic! :D

Horse-Maniac
02-18-2003, 09:40 PM
I love doing agility, but no one will let me go to class like my sister because I am blind.:( I am reaaally good at it though!:D

delidog
02-18-2003, 09:46 PM
aawww!!!!!
Sweet Mackenzie and Horsemaniac...
you break my heart when you say that....maybe be you could go with your sister and cheer her on from the sidelines!!!!!
every athlete needs a cheerleader!!!!!!!

remember...everyone has strengths and weaknesses...if your weakness is lack of sight,find your strength and use that instead....I'll bet that you can still cheer with the best of them!!!!!(or woof up a storm,anyway!!!!);)

wolfsoul
02-18-2003, 09:55 PM
how many ppl here have actually participated in agility? when im older, i want to do that with my dogs...
does anyone know the price range? i remember an add in the paper that said 100 dollars a class :eek: