PDA

View Full Version : I need help.

Aspen and Misty
02-17-2003, 07:47 PM
And no not the profesional kind. :rolleyes:

If I step one foot in the back yard Chewy grabs onto the bottom of my pants and runs away while holding the bottom of them. Next thign you know I'm lieing in dog poop on the ground. :mad: I have been trying to teach him not to bit but he wont stop. He does it all the time. If I walk across the room he jumps up and bites at my hands or he bites my legs or he bites my arms. I'm so sick and tierd of it! I was trying to walk through 24 inches of snow and Chewy was biteing at me and since he can stand pretty much on the snow he was jumping up and biteing at my hood or jumping against my legs or he was trying to bite my arms. I don't know how to get him to stop. I have been pushing his head to the ground when he bites and telling him no biteing. And he knows what No Bitieng means and he stops but unless you say it he wont stop. I try to push him off of me and he bites at me twice as hard. I'm begging you, please if you know anything I can try. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Respond!!!

Despritly,
Ashley

Crikit
02-17-2003, 08:01 PM
Ahhhh the joys of owning a herding breed. I went through this with Winter when I first got her, it was more when I was running with her then trying to walk and there are still times when she attempts to nip me still. Plus there are still times when she will nip at my family members, it's only because of how they react to it.

What I learned with Winter was that when she tried to nip I would ignore her, I wouldn't pay any attention to her, not to tell her to stop or anything like that, I would just ignore her and stand still as could be and look up or anywhere else until she stopped trying to nip me. Of course when I was running with her I couldn't exactly stop because she would try to nip me when we were on course so I would spin and take away the object of nip...does that last bit make sense?

Anyway when you push Chewy down to the ground you're doing what he wants, he wants you to pay attention to him so do just the opposite. I know that it's going to be hard Ash but try to stand still and ignore him when he realizes that him nipping at you isn't actually working and you aren't going and doing what he wants you to do he should stop. Chewy seems like a smart little guy so hopefully it won't take him long to realize that.

The only other thing that I can think of is to get one of those water squirt bottles, fill it with water and squirt him whenever he nips at you...that only works if he hates water and if you don't mind walking around with a water bottle all the time...in other words in can be a complete pain in the butt.

Hope this helps Ash.

Aspen and Misty
02-17-2003, 08:52 PM
That helps alot thank you! I've tried egnoring him before but he will sit there and bark at me, and he has barked at me for almost 45 mins straight before! I guess I will try it again. Yes, taht does make sense! One thing we are working on is trying to learn that playing is not biteing, playing is chaseing a ball or finding a lost person, its still hard. One of the worst things is when I set him loose to find someone who is lost he will then jump on them and bite there hands or something. And he's not doing the herding thing cause Teddy used to do that and he would nip our heels but Chewy bites and he bites Hard and any where he can get his teeth. i will try what you have suggested and give an update later!

Thank you!
Ash

lovemyshiba
02-17-2003, 08:54 PM
I was going to suggest ignoring him too, he sounds like a stubborn little boy!!
Good luck with Chewy!!

Aspen and Misty
02-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I was going to suggest ignoring him too, he sounds like a stubborn little boy!!
Good luck with Chewy!!

Thanx. Anyone know how to get him to shut up! He was biteing me as I began to get up from teh chair so I sat back down and began to type. Well I think its been 5 mins of none stop barking. Anyone want an Aussie pup? (j/k)

Ash

ps: You gotta love this pup
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p170f3fdb02888d9154068ceb9c3e6913/fc9f9643.jpg

lovemyshiba
02-17-2003, 09:23 PM
awwwww!!
He's such a sweetie!!
I have such a hard time getting my two to shut up, I'm afraid I can't be of much help in that department:rolleyes: