PDA

View Full Version : Doggie babysitters?

AdoreMyDogs
02-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I am having a real heck of a time finding a place to keep Graham and Kersey while Dan and I go on vacation, and then the thought occured to me...why not put the word out to the PTers! Dan and I would love to vacation at some point. My friend who had watched Graham and Kersey in the past is not able to because one of her cats has gotten extremely fearful of dogs. The place where I took Graham for Physical Therapy has a boarding kennel, but I would only put them in the kennel if I paid an extra daily fee to enroll them in doggie daycare, which would give them 80% outside of cage playtime, and the other 20% resting. The problem is, that they charge $31 per dog/per day and if we do a 14 day vacation that's $868, and chances are if we do a 14 day vacation, we'd need to drop them of the day before we vacation, and pick them up after we vacation, so it may end up being close to $1000 to board the dogs at the doggie daycare. This is just way too much!

In September we would like to go to Disney World, and it would be about two weeks, but I am sure not any less. I wanted to put the word out to anyone of my friends who would either be able to babysit Graham and Kersey, or know of someplace WONDERFUL to board them, which also included a daycare facility (limiting their time in cages) and also required vaccination records, of course proof of bordetella, and proof of recent negative fecel check.

If nothing else, then either we won't go on vacation, or we'll have to pay the fee at the wonderful place where Graham had his physical therapy. It's just so expensive that I would just check with PT first :)

If someone would be able to help, please PM me :) Thanks!

P.S. there are some pet-sitting services that I could use, but they only come into the house 3-4 times per day, and Graham and Kersey are very needy/clingy dogs, and being that Kersey is still in her crate during the day, she'd be crated WAY too much. The only way I would feel comfortable with a petsitter coming to watch my dogs, is if he or she slept at my house and spent many hours with Graham and Kersey giving them the love, atttention, cuddeling, and excersise that they need and crave. I would have it no other way.

Just thought I would put the word out :)

ramanth
02-17-2003, 12:37 PM
I so wish I lived in a bigger place. THEN I'D TAKE THEM! :D

Best of luck on finding a sitter. My parents and Andy's parents are my reliable Kia-sitters. :)

anna_66
02-17-2003, 01:31 PM
If only Angus liked other dogs *sigh* The girls said they would just love to see them agian, if not for that big ol' meanie Angus:D

DoggiesAreTheBest
02-17-2003, 01:54 PM
You have probably tried everything, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Do you have any relatives that could dog sit for you? I have my brother or his girlfriend dog sit for Drake all the time. I give them grocery money for the time I am gone and about $50 a week.

2. Ask some vet techs in your area if they do any private dog sitting.

3. Are there any colleges close to your house? Post a sign on campus and see if any one can house sit. Require an interview and references to screen applicants. I dog sat for several families when I was in college.

4. Any friends, neighbors, or coworkers that would be interested?

I would love to dog sit for Graham and Kersey. But I am so far away :(

AdoreMyDogs
02-17-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by DoggiesAreTheBest
You have probably tried everything, but here are a few suggestions.

1. Do you have any relatives that could dog sit for you? I have my brother or his girlfriend dog sit for Drake all the time. I give them grocery money for the time I am gone and about $50 a week.

2. Ask some vet techs in your area if they do any private dog sitting.

3. Are there any colleges close to your house? Post a sign on campus and see if any one can house sit. Require an interview and references to screen applicants. I dog sat for several families when I was in college.

4. Any friends, neighbors, or coworkers that would be interested?

I would love to dog sit for Graham and Kersey. But I am so far away :(

Yes I have tried the above ideas, problem is, both of my brothers' are cat people, and both are not responsible enough, nor do they have any desire, to watch any dog, especially two large dogs. My mom could do it if push came to shove, but her work hours are just too long, and I would be worried about that. My neighbors might be able to let them out, my neighbors are wonderful on both sides, but I would want more then simply letting them outside to potty. Both sets of neighbors have dogs of their own, so not sure how keen they would be on taking on two more dogs (one of which is active).

I would be so afraid to trust an unlicensed college kid to stay at our house with my babies. I know that you are wonderful, but you are a rare breed. You are so exceptionally loving and responsible, as many of us pet talkers are, but I think to find people as responsible and understanding as you and I are would be a hard find.

I'll continue to check around. Thanks for the great suggestions, though. Keep 'em coming if you think of anything else :)

lovemyshiba
02-17-2003, 02:26 PM
Oh, I wish I could help too!!
We didn't go on a honeymoon after our wedding, because we didn't want to board Kito!!
I'm sorry I can't help out, but I feel the same way you do--if we go somewhere, either they have to come, or someone TRUSTWORTY has to stay with the, so they get lots of attention while we're gone. We've only gone away once without them, and a friend of mine stayed at the apartment with Kito (before we had Abbey)--Good luck finding someone!!

Cincy'sMom
02-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Leslie,

I would love to have Graham and Kersey stay with us! I would have to check with Ralph, and make sure the timing would work (right now I know of nothing in Sept), but if you think Graham could handle two weeks with my hyper youngsters, they would be welcome here!!

Amy

Fuzzy317
02-17-2003, 05:56 PM
I haven't used any of these, but here is the site for Pet Sitters International (http://www.petsit.com/).