PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Catz......

ellensy
02-16-2003, 09:09 PM
........do they really fight with each other if they are living under one roof?

well, its just that we're having a kitty in one month's time so i'm just wondering and kinda worried if my dogs (especially Beethoven) will be getting along fine w/ the new kitty......

i also have guinea pigs and a hamster..... mmm, will the kitty hate my pigs and hamster??? or consider them for lunch? :confused:

what do you guys think?

wolfsoul
02-16-2003, 09:14 PM
i believe that more dogs actually get along with cats than dont!
we have a post going on pet poll about dogs liking cats :) maybe check it out...
what kind of dog do u have? sometimes certain breeds r more prone to disliking cats

ellensy
02-16-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
what kind of dog do u have? sometimes certain breeds r more prone to disliking cats

Beethoven is a mutt.....Crunchy is a pomeranina/spitz....and Nestle is a pomeranian.

wolfsoul
02-16-2003, 09:26 PM
my dogs all love cats :)
i had a pomeranian and she didnt like cats :( but that was only her, maybe ur pom and pom cross are different ;) i like their pics on ur sig!
i think that if u get a kitten then maybe it would be young enough to learn to like guinea pigs....i also think that dogs like kittens better lol...
timber likes kittens better...she loves to mother everything and i guess she knows when they r young cuz she goes extra crazy lol

lovemyshiba
02-16-2003, 09:33 PM
My mother in law has 2 poms (age 6 and 6 months) and a cat who is 11. They all get along fine. Boots (the cat) usually stays away from the pup, but lately he has been playing with him and acting like he wants to be around!!
I don't know about the guinea pig and the hamster:eek:

aly
02-16-2003, 10:04 PM
It really depends on the individual dogs and cats. I have 3 dogs and a cat in my house right now and all get along great. My Poodle wrestles with the cat every evening. The cat came into my life first and she was no longer a kitten when I got the dogs. The dogs were both adults when they came to me and neither had a history with cats. I was VERY cautious with introductions and made sure to do everything right though.

ellensy
02-16-2003, 11:15 PM
mmmm, what is the proper way of introducing a kitty to adult dogs?

Glacier
02-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by ellensy
mmmm, what is the proper way of introducing a kitty to adult dogs?

I have siberian huskies, who are known to be bad with cats, and seven cats. So we've done the intros a few times in the last couple years!

First make sure that your cat always has an escape route. I have a baby gate set up that the cats can get under, but the dogs can't. Keep the dogs leashed and under control until you are sure you trust them with the cats. And never leave them alone together. At the first sign of interest in the cats, my dogs get a quick, loud NO! They are not allowed to chase the cats ever--that's a quick ticket to being put back in the dog yard.

Good luck.