PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm worried...

NoahsMommy
02-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Our best friends (couple) told us last night that they want a cat. We were excited before I exclaimed "If you declaw it, I wont be your firend any more" and proceded to tell them how cruel it was. The woman, doesn't like animals and said she didn't want it scratching our furnature. He said that all his cats growing up were declawed and were fine. (How can he tell the difference if they ALL were??) I hate that they would subject a kitten to this..,my stomach is in knots....I just know they'll do what they want, which makes me question why we are friends.

Am I just freaking out? Or is there something to my feelings? Surprisingly, David feels the same....not about questioning our reasoning for freindship, but about them not having a cat.

I'm going to send them the declawing link I used for my speech, hopefully that will convince them.... :(

tuxluvr
02-16-2003, 11:37 AM
I'm primarily concerned about the "doesn't like animals" part...they shouldn't have a cat, or any pet, if they think they can make it conform to standards that are just not in the pet's nature.

I was once ignorant of the true story behind declawing. I think education is the key here, and you have done your part to see that these people are informed. Once I read what declawing really meant, I was truly horrified (although I never had a cat declawed - but knew of some who had)...and am now a staunch "soapbox preacher" about the ills of declawing. "How would you like it if someone cut your fingers off at the first knuckle?" (I know, a little too harsh perhaps)

While you can provide some "gentle guidance" to the cat's behavior, a cat is, first and foremost, a cat - and to a great extent I love my life with one primarily because I've learned to respect what makes her tick....(and occasionally ticked off):rolleyes:

If this is a friendship you cherish, perhaps you can lend your insight as a multi-cat co-tenant to help educate them....best wishes to you, them, AND to the potential pussycat!

momoffuzzyfaces
02-16-2003, 12:13 PM
I'm concerned about the not liking animals too. If they don't like a cat clawing their furniture, they won't like one leaving hair on it either. Are they going to shave it as well as declaw it? I wish they would reconsider. No animal deserves to live in a home where it's not loved for what it is. They are all ready trying to change it before they even get it. :eek:

NoahsMommy
02-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Great news!!! I just talked to my friend's hubby and he said they would use the soft paws!!! He loves cats and grew up with them, its just his wife. She never had animals, so she's never experienced the joy. I know that when they get one, she'll love it.

I recommended they adopt a boy kitten, one that isn't too feisty.

:)

Randi
02-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Well done Kelly, it sounds as if you've convinced them! There's hope for everyone! ;) Still, go and visit often to begin with - a bit of extra education won't hurt. :D

marysmerrycats
02-16-2003, 07:59 PM
well if she never had any animals growing up, then she doesn't know how special they can be. she will find out! I grew up with dogs, and we never had a cat, well I sure have the cat fever now! and years ago, I had a cat, and then I had to move where they did not allow pets, my dad didn't like cats, well they took my kitty in for me since I was crying over the whole matter, and it did not take my dad long to fall in love with the cat!
as far as the claws go, if they keep them trimmed, and provide a couple scratching posts or boards there should be no problem.

could you send me the declawing link, I would like to read about it.

smokey the elder
02-17-2003, 08:30 AM
With the idea that no one is more fanatical than a convert, former non-pet "owners" sometimes become the best cat people. I enjoy adopting cats to well-screened "cat virgins" for this very reason. I'm glad that the husband overrode the declaw issue.

tuxluvr
02-17-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by smokey the elder
With the idea that no one is more fanatical than a convert, former non-pet "owners" sometimes become the best cat people. I enjoy adopting cats to well-screened "cat virgins" for this very reason. I'm glad that the husband overrode the declaw issue.

True, true! And what better mentors than the Cotte's! Love always best led by a natural example!

NoahsMommy
02-17-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by tuxluvr
True, true! And what better mentors than the Cotte's! Love always best led by a natural example!
How sweet! That's what I was thinking too...we'd be there. In fact, we are planning on moving to the same neighborhood as them in June...so we'd ALWAYS be there to help!!! Its like getting another kitty!! ;)